The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

The massive disadvantage of Aber that noone is talking about?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Declan01
In September 2010, with something like 80 students still homeless, they had no choice but to halt the work being done in block five and re-open it as a residential block in order to house these students. They were told this was only a temporary measure as they had not found any accommodation for the start of term, and that RHS would work with them to secure something else that was suitable. As work had already begun and the fittings had been ripped out, they had to spend several thousand pounds on turning it back into a residential block to meet with the legal requirements of student halls of residence. To do this, they used money allocated to them from the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales grant, which was intended to be used to turn the block into the academic building. In December 2010, the contractors told the university they needed to get on with the work as they had other jobs to be doing later on and they would be delayed too long otherwise. Therefore, the university had to find temporary temporary accommodation for these students just after Christmas, and the contractors went back to work. This work is scheduled to be completed by the start of term in September. Therefore, future groups of students will not have this option to fall back on.

The post where this excerpt is from is a very good assessment of the situation.

I was actually one of those unlucky 80 students who didn't have a place by this time last year. There simply wasn't any private accommodation available, and this had been the case since around February. Luckily, about a month into my stay at Penbryn Block 5, they managed to find a lovely place for me in Alexandra Hall, where a first year had dropped out. It really shouldn't have come to that, however.

The Accommodation Office was well aware that there were a significant amount of students about to head into their second or third years who didn't have anywhere to live, thanks to the complete lack of supply of private housing. There was a mailing list set up in early 2010 to notify us of the very few rooms that subsequently became available (and then immediately unavailable again, as they were snapped up very quickly). From this, they could presumably have deduced the number of unhoused students, as they requested that we emailed them from time to time in order to keep them updated on our situations.

So exactly why they proceeded with the closure of Block 5, when they knew that demand was still there, is a complete mystery to me. We know that the University intends to close Pantycelyn, and there's talk of some of the Seafront buildings going too. But it's vitally important that neither of these take place while they have to resort to bunk beds in order to accommodate everybody. I'm so glad I'm not in the same situation this year.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread so far, but there is a huge amount of uninhabited buildings in Aberystwyth town centre itself, and especially on the Seafront. This is surely a great opportunity for the University to add to its Seafront properties portfolio. Especially as the private sector doesn't seem to be doing anything with them itself. I'd argue that buying these places up and refurbishing them to be fit for student housing should be a higher priority than building a bunch of new houses.

As you mentioned, there was a complete mess earlier this year when the majority of returning students who had applied ended up with rejections. This happened on an absolutely ridiculous scale. While it's true that international and disabled students got placed, a significant amount of other students who had good reason for applying for University accommodation ended up being denied it. For example, students entering their second or third academic years, having spent a year in industry or abroad. I know of somebody who was doing a year in France, and so had applied for University accommodation, as finding private accommodation is hard enough when you're located in Aberystwyth. Most landlords will not typically rent to students they haven't met in person, so for those not in Aber, private accommodation is nigh on impossible (barring trips back specifically to arrange housing). She had her application rejected, however I gather that a reapplication of hers has since been successful. No idea how many similar students remained rejected though, but frankly any more than zero is unacceptable while accommodation is being closed.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
The university should just stick hundreds of caravans on rural land in Aberystwyth for students to live in as a sort of holiday camp. If the government ask us to move we should just demand £6m, that is all.

:dunce:
Hahaha, what a complete joke.
For those of you who are thinking of changing their minds about Aber, isn't it too late to go somewhere else now?
Original post by hereshoping
For those of you who are thinking of changing their minds about Aber, isn't it too late to go somewhere else now?

Depends really. Other uni's may still take places on but in reality it'd be just as hard to find a place to live to attend those uni's now, which is why Aber has left it so late. But people can transfer after year 1 to another uni to avoid all this mess next year, its rather ridiculous.
Ah I see, thanks for that reply.

I see they're now saying that only one flat in each block will have bunks?

We'll see!

HH

Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Depends really. Other uni's may still take places on but in reality it'd be just as hard to find a place to live to attend those uni's now, which is why Aber has left it so late. But people can transfer after year 1 to another uni to avoid all this mess next year, its rather ridiculous.
More dodgy practices by the university....... goodness.

I wonder how on earth they think they could get away with bunk beds in a room certainly too small for even 1. I can foresee there will be plenty of cases of students needing to visit the e-room because they hit their head on the ceiling, especially considering how low the ceiling is on many of the rooms.

Are they going to make bunked study desks as well I wonder.
It would seem that some people are being sent their offers this afternoon.

HH
Reply 88
*bashes head on monitor* I wish I'd have known about this before I'd applied. Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong that some people who put Aber as their insurance choice have received offers of accommodation before those who put it as a firm ? I suppose I'm bias because I applied early-mid May and put Aber as my first choice and still haven't heard anything but it does seem wrong to me.
Hi RMR

It's all wrong in my opinion. There's been one massive cock up - why should the insurance choices have been given priority over the firm choices? So much for showing loyalty to those who chose Aber right from the start.

It's disgraceful. I'm definitely not going to share, I'm going to defer if they send me an email saying I've to share and I'll go to another uni in 2012.

HH

Original post by RMR
*bashes head on monitor* I wish I'd have known about this before I'd applied. Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong that some people who put Aber as their insurance choice have received offers of accommodation before those who put it as a firm ? I suppose I'm bias because I applied early-mid May and put Aber as my first choice and still haven't heard anything but it does seem wrong to me.
Original post by RMR
Hi RMR

It's all wrong in my opinion. There's been one massive cock up - why should the insurance choices have been given priority over the firm choices? So much for showing loyalty to those who chose Aber right from the start.

It's disgraceful. I'm definitely not going to share, I'm going to defer if they send me an email saying I've to share and I'll go to another uni in 2012.

HH
Their communication with the students who may be affected by this does seem pathetic.
Reply 91
I'm just glad I'm not in this situation. Would be nice to hear from someone who has been put in a so called 'Bunk Room' to see what actually happened with their situation.

It ****ing infuriates me that they put people through this and actually make out that its a good thing. Its like "You will NEVER guess what, we sorted the problems. Thats right! We will be putting you all in bunk beds like 6 year olds! Aren't you all so happy!!!!"

I will say this: If I turned up to Aber and found that they had put me in a bunk room, I would not be staying there. End of story.

Its not just the humiliation of being an adult, turning upto university and then having to share a bedroom. You literally would have no private space. The rooms only have one ethernet port. What if one wants to stay up and the other wants to sleep? What if one has work to do and the other wants to listen to music? I wouldn't want my entire ****ing year dictated by someone who lives with me. Imagine the night before an exam your roommate who has finished their exams already bursts in hammered.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordE
I'm just glad I'm not in this situation. Would be nice to hear from someone who has been put in a so called 'Bunk Room' to see what actually happened with their situation.

It ****ing infuriates me that they put people through this and actually make out that its a good thing. Its like "You will NEVER guess what, we sorted the problems. Thats right! We will be putting you all in bunk beds like 6 year olds! Aren't you all so happy!!!!"

I will say this: If I turned up to Aber and found that they had put me in a bunk room, I would not be staying there. End of story.

Its not just the humiliation of being an adult, turning upto university and then having to share a bedroom. You literally would have no private space. The rooms only have one ethernet port. What if one wants to stay up and the other wants to sleep? What if one has work to do and the other wants to listen to music? I wouldn't want my entire ****ing year dictated by someone who lives with me. Imagine the night before an exam your roommate who has finished their exams already bursts in hammered.

With this bunk situation I think people are criticising it too much. Accommodation is allocated on a first come first served basis, and even before the bunks were introduced there are twin rooms in a few of the halls, which essentially most would put at the bottom of the list when choosing. These bunks are just twin rooms really, but they're just adding them on to that bottom of the list and those who applied last for accommodation will get it.

I don't see why people are getting so aggy when it could happen to you anyway if you were the last to apply for accommodation.
Reply 93
Original post by dodgymonkey
...even before the bunks were introduced there are twin rooms in a few of the halls, which essentially most would put at the bottom of the list when choosing. These bunks are just twin rooms really, but they're just adding them on to that bottom of the list and those who applied last for accommodation will get it.

I don't see why people are getting so aggy when it could happen to you anyway if you were the last to apply for accommodation.

My problem isn't so much with sharing the room with another, it's the fact that rooms designed for one student are being used to accommodate two students so unlike with twin rooms there is half the space and only one ethernet cable making it inconvenient when studying. I appreciate what you're saying about Aber's accommodation being first come first serve but the applications for accommodation opened in April, closed in August and people that applied early-mid May like myself and my friends are being told it's likely we'lll be bunking. That, is what's causing the outrage. As well as the fact the university should have known it's accommodation limits and stuck to it in the first place.
Hi Dodgymonkey

That's not quite true, it seems that some people who applied much later than some, have already been allocated single rooms, while those who applied early on are still waiting to hear.

HH

Accommodation is allocated on a first come first served basis, .
Hi Dodgymonkey

That's not quite true, it seems that some people who applied much later than some, have already been allocated single rooms, while those who applied early on are still waiting to hear.

HH

How else do you expect them to allocate rooms in order of preference?

Original post by RMR
My problem isn't so much with sharing the room with another, it's the fact that rooms designed for one student are being used to accommodate two students so unlike with twin rooms there is half the space and only one ethernet cable making it inconvenient when studying. I appreciate what you're saying about Aber's accommodation being first come first serve but the applications for accommodation opened in April, closed in August and people that applied early-mid May like myself and my friends are being told it's likely we'lll be bunking. That, is what's causing the outrage. As well as the fact the university should have known it's accommodation limits and stuck to it in the first place.

This is true, I think they need some serious changes in the admissions office, because they've clearly given out too many offers to too many people in the hope that half won't accept Aber as firm. But the opposite has happened and most have firmed Aber and are now going. It is fairly ridiculous and I guess the whole sharing one normal room is a bit crazy, they must be making the necessary efforts to include two ethernet ports and two study points, surely?
Reply 96
With this bunk situation I think people are criticising it too much. Accommodation is allocated on a first come first served basis, and even before the bunks were introduced there are twin rooms in a few of the halls, which essentially most would put at the bottom of the list when choosing. These bunks are just twin rooms really, but they're just adding them on to that bottom of the list and those who applied last for accommodation will get it.

That's the thing though, some won't be twin rooms. It would appear offers have gone out today for twin rooms in PJM which is fine (sort of), since all other aspects of the room/flat will be taken into consideration and have space for two people. What isn't ok though, is simply shoving another bed into a room that only has space for one desk, one wardrobe, etc.

I do think people should probably stop complaining so much though, and I know that sounds harsh but at this stage its pointless to continue raging at the uni and try and get them to make things better. The fact is there isn't any more space, moaning won't do anything and just makes the atmosphere even worse... I suppose that's easy for me to say though :/
Reply 97
The rooms were handed out based on when accepted your unconditional offer from the uni when results came out, not from when you applied for accomodation - thats what the accomodation office told me.
So if you applied for the room early and put aber as your first choice, you probably do have a right to be angry if you get told you have to share!!:mad:

I know I was never told it would be allocated like that!!!!
Reply 98
For second year...
I'm looking for roommates now so I can get a flat as soon as possible.

http://www.aba-property.co.uk/Student%20Property%20Search%20.html look at file 36...

I'm clean, tidy, friendly and I don't smoke. Also, I bake chocolate cakes when I'm bored.

PM me if you're interested (or as panicky about 2nd year accommodation as me :tongue: )
Reply 99
Original post by nia512
For second year...
I'm looking for roommates now so I can get a flat as soon as possible.

http://www.aba-property.co.uk/Student%20Property%20Search%20.html look at file 36...

I'm clean, tidy, friendly and I don't smoke. Also, I bake chocolate cakes when I'm bored.

PM me if you're interested (or as panicky about 2nd year accommodation as me :tongue: )

Thanks for that list! I'm gonna have a look through that, as well as going to the estate agents during freshers week. Thinking of organising something with a few mates I've made over Facebook, though obviously I don't wanna say anything definite too early. First month or so will probably have to be decisive (shows how bad the housing situation is that we're having to decide after just a month of uni who we want to live with next year…).
That flat does look/sound nice. Would have to see it in person first, obv.

Quick Reply

Latest