Rescue Remedy experiences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whattheheck
Thank you! I need all the luck I can get! :redface:

You'll be fiiiine :tongue:

Blind confidence is the way forward! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by LukeSimms
Thanks, was a few months ago now so can't remember exactly what times i took it but i think i just took it an hour before my test, i had the drops. Nerves was a problem for me and I almost failed on my maneuver reversing around a corner but I stopped and gathered myself and corrected it and only got a minor :smile: Although at the time I thought I had failed so I just thought "**** it" and carried on with the test with no nerves and passed :biggrin: lol.

Lol. On my last test, my nerves were so extreme that I kept asking the examiner, "How am I doing? I've failed haven't I ?!!" and at one point he even said "Have faith in yourself!" After I thought I had hit the kerb, I gave up. But apparently at that point I was perfectly fine. FACEPALM!
Reply 22
Original post by Amwazicles

Haha! :tongue:
Original post by chocolatepeanut
Absolutely, and yea, beta blockers are very good. I've heard similar for Ritalin, never taken it though.

You won't get beta blockers without a prescription though.

I've taken Dexys (Dextroamphetamine) for recreational purposes and believe this is similar to Ritalin which is also a psychostimulant and treats the same disorders. I would not recommend this for performance anxiety though as although it does make you less nervous you're also high. It's not a massive high but still not good for a driving test. Beta blockers aren't stimulants, definitely the best option.

Seriously don't bother with Kalms or Rescue Remedy unless your nerves are not really that bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Toaster Leavings
I've taken Dexys (Dextroamphetamine) for recreational purposes and believe this is similar to Ritalin which is also a psychostimulant and treats the same disorders. I would not recommend this for performance anxiety though as although it does make you less nervous you're also high. It's not a massive high but still not good for a driving test. Beta blockers aren't stimulants, definitely the best option.

Seriously don't bother with Kalms or Rescue Remedy unless your nerves are not really that bad.

Thank you! think I'll try and speak with my Doc. See if he will prescribe me some.
Thank you! think I'll try and speak with my Doc. See if he will prescribe me some.

Propranolol is fine, just get that again.

I can't rate them highly enough got me through many a nerve-wracking event!
Original post by Toaster Leavings

Yea, Ritalin is amphetamine based as well (I find it crazy that effectively 'speed' is an ADHD suppressant!)

Either way, even beta blockers are a bit overkill for a driving test. Just show them you're not an idiot and you'll pass easy. I had only had a few driving lessons and could barely operate the clutch when I took my test (was too poor for more lessons lol). I passed 1st time, just look around when you're driving and avoid danger (seems obvious but so many people have tunnel vision!).
Original post by chocolatepeanut
Yea, Ritalin is amphetamine based as well (I find it crazy that effectively 'speed' is an ADHD suppressant!)

Either way, even beta blockers are a bit overkill for a driving test. Just show them you're not an idiot and you'll pass easy. I had only had a few driving lessons and could barely operate the clutch when I took my test (was too poor for more lessons lol). I passed 1st time, just look around when you're driving and avoid danger (seems obvious but so many people have tunnel vision!).

That's up to the sufferer to decide really. Before I took beta blockers for my test I failed three times in a row. Each time I thought I was mentally calm but my legs shook so badly I wasn't operating the pedals properly. I was a very good driver otherwise so it was only down to nerves. So, it might be that the OP has had enough lessons but nerves fail her.

Besides beta blockers are not something you really notice that you're on except you realise your voice isn't shaking or your body isn't (depending on what the anxiety inducing situation is), so I wouldn't call it overkill. I've taken them for job interviews as well as my driving test and it makes a huge difference for me.

Oh and yeah I have no idea how speed is supposed to reduce ADHD :iiam:
(edited 12 years ago)
Rescue Remedy is amazing in my opinion. Really helps to calm you down - even if it is only psychological. I failed 3 tests last year, this time I took LOADS of Rescue Remedy and passed. It didn't make me drowsy, my test was 8:20AM and I started taking it at 4AM, 4 drops at a time, then every half an hour up until the test. It tastes foul though.

Oh and 2 mins before my test I took 4 large drops and ate a small piece of cereal bar to give my brain some food (I was hungry).

(Nerves were a bit problem for me, my previous test I turned up at the test centre and burst into tears I was so nervous). I was a little nervous this time too but not too much to affect my driving.

I took it a few lessons before to see how it would affect me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Rescue Remedy is amazing in my opinion. Really helps to calm you down - even if it is only psychological. I failed 3 tests last year, this time I took LOADS of Rescue Remedy and passed. It didn't make me drowsy, my test was 8:20AM and I started taking it at 4AM, 4 drops at a time, then every half an hour up until the test. It tastes foul though.

Oh and 2 mins before my test I took 4 large drops and ate a small piece of cereal bar to give my brain some food (I was hungry).

(Nerves were a bit problem for me, my previous test I turned up at the test centre and burst into tears I was so nervous). I was a little nervous this time too but not too much to affect my driving.

I took it a few lessons before to see how it would affect me.

Nerves are my problem too. I will definitely be purchasing it though. It seems that most people found that it works. Thanks for your post! :smile:
Reply 30
In general, I suffer quite a bit from my nerves.. I tend to get so nervous I don't want to eat or drink, so when I found out about rescue remedy I bought it straight away!
I still use it to this day, and I believe it's helped me through lots ..exams, driving test, etc.. Whether it's a placebo/psychological thing with me or whether it actually works, idk. I definitely suggest a remedy such as one like rescue remedy though!
Much luck! Let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Chloe P
In general, I suffer quite a bit from my nerves.. I tend to get so nervous I don't want to eat or drink, so when I found out about rescue remedy I bought it straight away!
I still use it to this day, and I believe it's helped me through lots ..exams, driving test, etc.. Whether it's a placebo/psychological thing with me or whether it actually works, idk. I definitely suggest a remedy such as one like rescue remedy though!
Much luck! Let us know how you get on :smile:

I bought some today at Boots. The girl at the counter said it is extremely popular so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Reply 32
I didn't notice much of a difference. Took it for a few days in the run up to my first test and then on the day, but didn't bother second time around. Passed second time.
Reply 33
Cool. Thanks BTW. I have been prescribed propranolol in the past. But, I never picked up the prescription.

Propanolol IS a betablocker.

Some doctors might start getting a bit more reluctant to prescribe them as there have been recent news reports of health risks in long-term users. They do work for nervous people though - but it has to be DESPERATE nerves, not just a few butterflies.

As for the other drugs mentioned - drug being the operative word - get wise! There are loads of ways of getting rid of nerves (including being paralytically drunk), but that doesn't make them even close to being right.

What kind of person can't handle the driving test AND is prepared to take controlled or narcotic drugs to try and deal with it? Especially when all they have to do is see their doctor and get something legal and far safer - and infinitely more effective because it's designed for the job!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by DOAADI
Propanolol IS a betablocker.

Some doctors might start getting a bit more reluctant to prescribe them as there have been recent news reports of health risks in long-term users. They do work for nervous people though - but it has to be DESPERATE nerves, not just a few butterflies.

As for the other drugs mentioned - drug being the operative word - get wise! There are loads of ways of getting rid of nerves (including being paralytically drunk), but that doesn't make them even close to being right.

What kind of person can't handle the driving test AND is prepared to take controlled or narcotic drugs to try and deal with it? Especially when all they have to do is see their doctor and get something legal and far safer - and infinitely more effective because it's designed for the job!

I suffer from anxiety and have been fighting a losing battle for a long period of time. One of the main reasons I failed my previous test is due to my anxiety.

As for your comment regarding people who can't handle a driving test, I think what you said is quite offensive. I made this thread for people to offer me constructive advice and their experiences.

Also, who said anything about narcotic drugs?! :s-smilie:
Reply 35
:colondollar:
I suffer from anxiety and have been fighting a losing battle for a long period of time. One of the main reasons I failed my previous test is due to my anxiety.

As for your comment regarding people who can't handle a driving test, I think what you said is quite offensive. I made this thread for people to offer me constructive advice and their experiences.

Also, who said anything about narcotic drugs?! :s-smilie:

Read it again.

It said people who can't handle the test AND who take controlled drugs. It's a whole sentence :smile:

I've advised people on a number of occasions about betablockers because I know there are genuine problems out there. Don't be so brittle over it - I made it clear what I meant.

As for other drugs, they have been mentioned in this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by DOAADI
:colondollar:

Read it again.

It said people who can't handle the test AND who take controlled drugs. It's a whole sentence :smile:

I've advised people on a number of occasions about betablockers because I know there are genuine problems out there. Don't be so brittle over it - I made it clear what I meant.

As for other drugs, they have been mentioned in this thread.

I'm aware it is a whole sentence. I still find it offensive.
Reply 37
I took Rescue Remedy on both of my tests :smile: I think it was more of a mind trick than actually calming me down, but it did the trick the second time!
Original post by Watch Key Phone

Having my driving exam in 1 week time and I am panicking already... I tried rescue remedy before, unfortunately didn't made any difference. I am attempted to have a go with beta blockers as my doctor prescribed, just to take it before my exam. Some people don't understand how hard is to control our nerves.
Reply 39
I know this thread is 11 years old, but I wouldn't recommend using Rescue Remedy for driving tests simply because its base is very strong alcohol.

Are you going to be drunk? Almost certainly not unless you consume an extraordinary quantity of it - but I just don't think its the best way to be going into a driving test. You wouldn't say "let me have half a glass of wine to calm me down".
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending