The Student Room Group

Which is the harder A Level: Chemistry or Further Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by The_Gina
I don't think we do ISAs for ocr a level science. what board are you on? i did ISAs for GCSE and found them very easy, as you done them as part of a group. My GCSE results will also have great baring n my options. Eg, if I don't get an A* In chemistry or art, and do in maths, then I will do FM. Thanks for the help! :smile:

Ah, I was AQA. ISAs at A-level are vastly different to GCSE though - done on your own and everything is a much larger step up than the course material is. The syllabus' are very similar as I understand for OCR and AQA, so my comments on that should still stand. And yes, your GCSE results are the ultimate indicator of whether you should be doing a subject. You could do both of course and see what you like the most. I did 5 ASs and got AAAAB so it is personally doable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Yeah that's what i am considering doing, chemistry this year and FM next year

Sounds good to me. but spend a lot of time this summer finding out which career path u will most likely take, and gear you as choices toward that
Reply 62
Original post by Ultimate1

Well if you enjoy maths then you shouldn't have any problem tackling any of the modules :tongue:

Here I'll rate the difficulty of all the modules I've done from your possible choice at your college:

FP1 : 4/10 (Seriously is easy. )

FP2: 6/10 (Quite tricky but not hard though)

M1: 8/10 (This is a hard module if you do it in your first term. Some new and interesting concepts are introduced and takes some time to get your head around)

M2: 5/10 (Not that hard tbh just naturally carries on from M1. If you did good with M1 and know it good then it's not hard)

S1: 4.5/10 (LMAO not hard, just plugging numbers into your calculator)

S2: 3/10 (Seriously this is even more of a joke than S1)

S3: 5/10 (Like all the other stats modules it's not hard too)

D1: 5/10 (People seriously underrate this module but I found it quite tricky)

I didn't do FP3 and M3 but I've heard that M3 isn't bad but FP3 is hard. I'm gonna go through FP3 during August so I might be able to tell you how it is after I've done it. Basically all the stats modules are very easy.

Cheers mate thats very helpful! I'm also doing physics A Level so I'm hoping that mechanics will go hand-in-hand with what I'm learning in physics :smile:
What did you get for GCSE Maths And A Level?
Reply 63
Original post by tory88

Original post by tory88
Ah, I was AQA. ISAs at A-level are vastly different to GCSE though - done on your own and everything is a much larger step up than the course material is. The syllabus' are very similar as I understand for OCR and AQA, so my comments on that should still stand. And yes, your GCSE results are the ultimate indicator of whether you should be doing a subject. You could do both of course and see what you like the most. I did 5 ASs and got AAAAB so it is personally doable.

Im guessing you self-studied a subject then? How did you find that?
Reply 64
Cheers mate thats very helpful! I'm also doing physics A Level so I'm hoping that mechanics will go hand-in-hand with what I'm learning in physics :smile:
What did you get for GCSE Maths And A Level?

For GCSE Maths I got an A and for A-level maths, which I completed in January, I got an A*. Still waiting for Further Maths A-level which I'll get in August. I presume you're waiting for GCSE?
Reply 65

For GCSE Maths I got an A and for A-level maths, which I completed in January, I got an A*. Still waiting for Further Maths A-level which I'll get in August. I presume you're waiting for GCSE?

I'm guessing you didn't work as hard for GCSE then? :P
Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'll get an A* for GCSE!
I realise you want to do architecture....but for some courses like medicine they only accept further maths to AS level and not the whole Alevel, some universities dont accept it at all (they say either maths or further maths)....i think its because there so similar....so just check your specific universities before you make a final decision....also, dont just choose all hard Alevels because you think theyll be valued more, because there not....i chose all really hard Alevels because i thought theyd give me a better chance at getting into uni. In reality i could have done Alevels that i thought were easier and got better grades and theyd have been valued exactly the same....i listened too much to teachers, and they are definately not always right...hope this helps. Xx
Reply 67
Im guessing you self-studied a subject then? How did you find that?

My school let me study all five in the lessons - about 20 of us were doing it at the start, which got down to 8 or 9 come exam time.
Reply 68
I'm guessing you didn't work as hard for GCSE then? :P
Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'll get an A* for GCSE!

lol that's the weird thing; I revised a lot for GCSE and came out thinking I'd smashed the A*. Seems like I didn't. :frown:
Reply 69
Original post by lemontang1

Original post by lemontang1
I realise you want to do architecture....but for some courses like medicine they only accept further maths to AS level and not the whole Alevel, some universities dont accept it at all (they say either maths or further maths)....i think its because there so similar....so just check your specific universities before you make a final decision....also, dont just choose all hard Alevels because you think theyll be valued more, because there not....i chose all really hard Alevels because i thought theyd give me a better chance at getting into uni. In reality i could have done Alevels that i thought were easier and got better grades and theyd have been valued exactly the same....i listened too much to teachers, and they are definately not always right...hope this helps. Xx

Thanks thats very helpful!
I am doing subjects of which I enjoy and have done well at, at GCSE, not for the sake of doing 'hard' subjects.
Reply 70

lol that's the weird thing; I revised a lot for GCSE and came out thinking I'd smashed the A*. Seems like I didn't. :frown:

Sounds a lot like me! I shall follow in your footsteps! (well hopefully get an A* at GCSE first) :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by tory88

Original post by tory88
My school let me study all five in the lessons - about 20 of us were doing it at the start, which got down to 8 or 9 come exam time.

Oh okay, don't think that's possible at my school :\
Reply 72
Sounds a lot like me! I shall follow in your footsteps! (well hopefully get an A* at GCSE first) :biggrin:

Well lets hope the thinking of smashing the A* is the same and the A-level result is the same but not the GCSE result :tongue:
Reply 73

Well lets hope the thinking of smashing the A* is the same and the A-level result is the same but not the GCSE result :tongue:

hehehe yeah :biggrin:
Reply 74
Oh okay, don't think that's possible at my school :\

That's a shame. May be worth speaking to thee headmaster/mistress or your head of sixthform or something. Schools usually make allowances for students that want to study five AS levels.
Further maths is more 'extreme' so if you are good at maths, you will find further maths easier, but if you struggle a bit with maths, chemistry will be easier. For me, I found chemistry to be the harder subject as the highest marks are harder to obtain imo.
Reply 76
Both are considered THE hardest two A'levels, but which one is harder depends on which subject you are more inclined towards or better at.

Unfortunately comparing GCSE Courses/results as for most students (inclined towards sciences rather than arts), maths GCSE is ridiculously easy.

However, I would compare GCSE Chemistry with Ad Maths to determine which subject you are better at.
My module difficulty ratings:
C1: 7/10 I found this the hardest in the first year to get to grips with, once you can do C1, the rest should come naturally
C2:6/10
C3/6/10
C4: 5/10
FP1:4/10 Though I did it in the second year
FP2:6/10
FP3:8/10
D1:3/10
M1: 5/10
M2: 4/10
S1: 6/10
S2: 5/10 Because it is so easy, grade boundaries shoot up, so any mistake is costly
Reply 78
Original post by saajan_92

Original post by saajan_92
Both are considered THE hardest two A'levels, but which one is harder depends on which subject you are more inclined towards or better at.

Unfortunately comparing GCSE Courses/results as for most students (inclined towards sciences rather than arts), maths GCSE is ridiculously easy.

However, I would compare GCSE Chemistry with Ad Maths to determine which subject you are better at.

What is Ad Maths? Additional Maths? I did not do that
Further Maths makes Chemistry look like a walk in the park. I only did Further Maths to AS as I found it very hard (even though I got A* at GCSE). Chemistry is tricky at first, but if you keep at it then it really is a walk in the park. Some stuff you need to understand and most others are just about regurgitating information.

Further Maths is only good if you go to an actual high end College, mostly at low end places there won't really be enough support in such subjects.

If you are aiming for architecture then take Maths with Mechanics (I know this for OCR, you would do C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2). Further Maths would mean that you do (FP1,FP2,FP3,D1,S1,D2/S2). Its alot to do but it really depends on whether your committed to it.

If I were you I would ring each Uni your hoping for and ask if they accept F.Maths as a whole A Level when Maths is done too. This could affect your choices.

Also an option is to do both, if your academically motivated then you could easily do 5, it will be tough but it is doable (I did 5 in my first year and found it a challenge but also quite fun).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending