The Student Room Group

Help on proof by contraposition

How do I prove xn<ynx<y\displaystyle{x^n<y^n \Leftrightarrow x<y} using proof by contraposition?

Any ideas? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GrizzlyBear14
How do I prove xn<ynx<y\displaystyle{x^n<y^n \Leftrightarrow x<y} using proof by contraposition?

Any ideas? Thanks

Rewrite as:

(xn<ynx<y)(xn<ynx<y)\displaystyle (x^n<y^n \Rightarrow x<y)\land (x^n<y^n \Leftarrow x<y) with minor abuse of notation,

and use contrapositive on each part.

Note: As stated, it isn't true. e.g. x= -2 y=1 n=2
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Wait, I meant how would I go about it for for xn<ynx<y\displaystyle{x^n<y^n \Rightarrow x<y}? Sorry for the hassle.
Wait, I meant how would I go about it for for xn<ynx<y\displaystyle{x^n<y^n \Rightarrow x<y}? Sorry for the hassle.

Well if you have P implies Q. The contrapositve is not(Q) implies not(P)

So you assume not(Q) and show that it implies not(P).

So what's not(Q) in this case, and similarly not(P)?
Reply 4
So not(Q) is y<x\displaystyle{y<x} and not(P) is yn<xn\displaystyle{y^n<x^n}?

So then can I say not(Q) implies not(P) by induction?
I read contraposition as constipation :facepalm:
sorry I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to this thread.
Original post by bananabrain

And yet you post anyway :biggrin:
So not(Q) is y<x\displaystyle{y<x} and not(P) is yn<xn\displaystyle{y^n<x^n}?

Not quite.

Q is x is less than y.

So, not(Q) is going to be x is greater than or equal to y.

Or rearrangeing y is less than or equal to x.

Similarly not(P)

So then can I say not(Q) implies not(P) by induction?

If you actually do the induction. So presumably n is a positive integer.

PS. It's still not true for all x,y.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
What other way can i prove it? :s
What other way can i prove it? :s

No idea. You're not exactly forthcoming with background information on the problem, so I've no idea what's expected of you. And it's still not true for all x,y real.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I can try to make a little contribution to your thoughts.

The way ghostwalker is explaining the problem seems to be very good.
However, I would like to suggest some reasoning and would enjoy your opinion on it.

If I am about to prove the statement P, x^n < y^n, which implies the statement Q, x < y, I will go this way.

Since the inequality x^n < y^n can be shown to be x < n just by taking the Nth root from both sides, it does not include all possibilities and the direction of the logic is not in the required way.

So, if P implies Q, which was shown by the above line, lets focus on P and specifically not(P).
If, not(P), namely, x^n can be bigger than or equal to y, then we have the following:

x^n >= y^n implies x >= y, just by taking the Nth root as above, and namely not(P) implies Z, where the statement Z is x >= y.
This is in contradiction with the above and not(Z) implies Q. (Z is actually not(Q)).
Therefore, for the statement Q to hold, we require that x is less than y.

However, there is no information to which sets X, Y and N belong to, so in the above it is assumed that X and Y are part of the non-negative reals and N is part of the natural numbers.

I think you have omitted some details from the question :P

Sorry about the lack of LaTeX.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11

I think proof by constipation is what happens when you prove something whilst on the toilet. I'll admit to having misread it as "proof by contraception", which could be an interesting method.

But I can't tell whether the OP wants a proof by contraposition, contradiction or induction, so I'll assume that the people who have replied have already given a sufficient response or that the OP hasn't given enough detail to get their desired answer.
Reply 12
At some point you will have to end up proving that f(x) = x^n is an increasing function for certain conditions on x and n.
Original post by around
At some point you will have to end up proving that f(x) = x^n is an increasing function for certain conditions on x and n.

Well of course, that's one part of the proof! x<y => f(x)<f(y)
Reply 14
Original post by gff

So, if P implies Q, which was shown by the above line, lets focus on P and specifically not(P).
If, not(P), namely, x^n can be bigger than or equal to y, then we have the following:

x^n >= y^n implies x >= y, just by taking the Nth root as above, and namely not(P) implies Z, where the statement Z is x >= y.
This is in contradiction with the above and not(Z) implies Q. (Z is actually not(Q)).
Therefore, for the statement Q to hold, we require that x is less than y.

But what you're saying is that for the statement Q to hold you need x<y but that is Q? So do you mean statement P?

So can I just say:
If xn>=ynx>=y\displaystyle{x^n>=y^n \Rightarrow x>=y} by taking the nth root, then not(P) implies not(Q) by contraposition and thats the proof?

Also, I've assumed that x and y are positive real numbers and n is a natural number.
Reply 15

So can I just say:
If xn>=ynx>=y\displaystyle{x^n>=y^n \Rightarrow x>=y} by taking the nth root, then not(P) implies not(Q) by contraposition and thats the proof?

Also, I've assumed that x and y are positive real numbers and n is a natural number.

I would say yes.
However, I will try to explain all the steps by formalising them a little and to give another view on the problem.

The statement which is to be proved is:
xn<ynx<yx^n < y^n \Rightarrow x < y

Therefore, assuming x,y are real numbers and n is a natural, you can show that this holds by taking the Nth root.
Nevertheless, this won't be a proof, since the direction of the logic is not right, as I said before.
(You have inverted it in your latest post, which is the right way)

To clarify the point further, I will borrow one example from Martin Liebeck's Introduction to Pure Mathematics:

Prove that 2+6<15 \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 < \sqrt 15

1. Non-proof of the statement

[br]2+6<15(2+6)2<15[br]                      8+212<15212<748<49[br][br]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 < \sqrt 15 \Rightarrow (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6)^2 < 15[br]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \Rightarrow 8 + 2\sqrt 12 < 15 \Rightarrow 2\sqrt 12 < 7 \Rightarrow 48 < 49[br]

This is true of course, but here is Liebeck's comment on it:
"The last statement (48 < 49) is true, so why is this not a proof? Because the implication is going the wrong way - we have shown that if PP is the statement we want to prove, and QQ is the statement that 48 < 49, then PQP \Rightarrow Q; but this tells us nothing about the truth or otherwise of PP.
A cunning change to the above false proof gives a correct proof, by contradiction. So assume the result is false; i.e., assume that 2+615\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 \geq \sqrt 15. Then ..."

2. Proof by contradiction

[br]2+615(2+6)215[br]                      8+2121521274849[br][br]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 \geq \sqrt 15 \Rightarrow (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6)^2 \geq 15[br]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \Rightarrow 8 + 2\sqrt 12 \geq 15 \Rightarrow 2\sqrt 12 \geq 7 \Rightarrow 48 \geq 49[br]

".. which is a contradiction."

O.K., how is that related to your problem?
Your statement PP, or xn<ynx^n < y^n, can be shown as x<yx < y by taking the Nth root, but this will be non-proof as the above.
So, to prove the statement by contradiction (contraposition) you should assume the opposite; i.e., for all xnx^n and yny^n, if xnynx^n \geq y^n, then by taking the Nth root you can show that xyx \geq y, and therefore to prove your original statement.
(As what we have shown and you adapted as a proof, so far)

Here is the formalised statement and a "proper" proof by contradiction:

This first statement (1) is the equivalent of your (edited) statement:

(1) x,y,n{k  kR,k0} \forall x,y,n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k \geq 0 \} such that xn<yn,  x<yx^n < y^n, \ \ x < y;
-
. For all xx, yy that are positive real numbers and such that xn<ynx^n < y^n, the inequality x<yx < y will be true for all positive real values of nn.
. This is in regard to x,yx, y and nn being positive real numbers.

To prove that, I will take its negation and attempt to disprove it:

N(1) x,y{k  kR,k0}\exists x,y \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k \geq 0 \} such that xy,  xn<ynx \geq y, \ \ x^n < y^n for some n{k  kR,k>0}n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k > 0 \}
-
. There exist positive real numbers xx and yy, such that if xyx \geq y, the inequality xn<ynx^n < y^n is true for some positive real number nn greater than 0.

Therefore, exponentiating both sides by a positive real number won't change the inequality and:

xyxnynx \geq y \Rightarrow x^n \geq y^n, which is a contradiction and it follows that N(1) is false.

Now just for fun, I will prove by contradiction a special case for odd powers of x and y.

(2) x,yR \forall x,y \in \mathbb{R} \ such that xn<yn, x^n < y^n,\ and the inequality  x<y \ x < y\ is true  n{k  kN, 2k+1}\ \forall n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{N}, \ 2k + 1\}

Its negation:

N(2) x,yR \exists x,y \in \mathbb{R} \ such that xy, x \geq y,\ and the inequality  xn<yn \ x^n < y^n\ is true for some  n{k  kZ, k0, 2k+1}\ n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{Z}, \ k \geq 0, \ 2k + 1\}

Hence, exponentiating both sides by an odd natural power:

xyx(2n+1)y(2n+1)x×x(2n)y×y(2n)x \geq y \Rightarrow x^{(2n + 1)} \geq y^{(2n + 1)} \Rightarrow x \times x^{(2n)} \geq y \times y^{(2n)}, which is a contradiction and it follows that N(2) is false.

If you combine (1) and (2), you have the most of your original statement; it shows all positive plus a special case for the negatives.
And it is certainly not true in general, for example: -3 < -2, but (-3)^2 is bigger than (-2)^2.
(However, if you wan't to stick with the Nth root, you should bear in mind the irrationals and zeros)

It is also possible to express a proof by using the properties of the derivatives of odd and even functions, as suggested by @around.
I don't think it would be easier to prove it that way, but if you need to show this by using calculus, this is the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by gff
I would say yes.
However, I will try to explain all the steps by formalising them a little and to give another view on the problem.

Therefore, assuming x,y are real numbers and n is a natural, you can show that this holds by taking the Nth root.
Nevertheless, this won't be a proof, since the direction of the logic is not right, as I said before.

To clarify the point further, I will borrow one example from Martin Liebeck's Introduction to Pure Mathematics:

[br]2+6<15(2+6)2<15[br]                      8+212<15212<748<49[br][br]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 < \sqrt 15 \Rightarrow (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6)^2 < 15[br]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \Rightarrow 8 + 2\sqrt 12 < 15 \Rightarrow 2\sqrt 12 < 7 \Rightarrow 48 < 49[br]

"The last statement (48 < 49) is true, so why is this not a proof? Because the implication is going the wrong way - we have shown that if PP is the statement we want to prove, and QQ is the statement that 48 < 49, then PQP \Rightarrow Q; but this tells us nothing about the truth or otherwise of PP.
A cunning change to the above false proof gives a correct proof, by contradiction. So assume the result is false; i.e., assume that 2+615\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 \geq \sqrt 15. Then ..."

[br]2+615(2+6)215[br]                      8+2121521274849[br][br]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6 \geq \sqrt 15 \Rightarrow (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 6)^2 \geq 15[br]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \Rightarrow 8 + 2\sqrt 12 \geq 15 \Rightarrow 2\sqrt 12 \geq 7 \Rightarrow 48 \geq 49[br]

Your statement PP, or xn<ynx^n < y^n, can be shown as x<yx < y by taking the Nth root, but this will be non-proof as the above.
So, to prove the statement by contradiction (contraposition) you should assume the opposite; i.e., for all xnx^n and yny^n, if xnynx^n \geq y^n, then by taking the Nth root you can show that xyx \geq y, and therefore to prove your original statement.

(1) x,y,n{k  kR,k0} \forall x,y,n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k \geq 0 \} such that xn<yn,  x<yx^n < y^n, \ \ x < y;
-
. For all xx, yy that are positive real numbers and such that xn<ynx^n < y^n, the inequality x<yx < y will be true for all positive real values of nn.

N(1) x,y{k  kR,k0}\exists x,y \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k \geq 0 \} such that xy,  xn<ynx \geq y, \ \ x^n < y^n for some n{k  kR,k>0}n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{R}, k > 0 \}
-
. There exist positive real numbers xx and yy, such that if xyx \geq y, the inequality xn<ynx^n < y^n is true for some positive real number nn greater than 0.

Therefore, exponentiating both sides by a positive real number won't change the inequality and:

xyxnynx \geq y \Rightarrow x^n \geq y^n, which is a contradiction and it follows that N(1) is false.

Now just for fun, I will prove by contradiction a special case for odd powers of x and y.

(2) x,yR \forall x,y \in \mathbb{R} \ such that xn<yn, x^n < y^n,\ and the inequality  x<y \ x < y\ is true  n{k  kN, 2k+1}\ \forall n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{N}, \ 2k + 1\}

Its negation:

N(2) x,yR \exists x,y \in \mathbb{R} \ such that xy, x \geq y,\ and the inequality  xn<yn \ x^n < y^n\ is true for some  n{k  kZ, k0, 2k+1}\ n \in \{k \ | \ k \in \mathbb{Z}, \ k \geq 0, \ 2k + 1\}

xyx(2n+1)y(2n+1)x×x(2n)y×y(2n)x \geq y \Rightarrow x^{(2n + 1)} \geq y^{(2n + 1)} \Rightarrow x \times x^{(2n)} \geq y \times y^{(2n)}, which is a contradiction and it follows that N(2) is false.

If you combine (1) and (2), you have the most of your original statement; it shows all positive plus a special case for the negatives.
And it is certainly not true in general, for example: -3 < -2, but (-3)^2 is bigger than (-2)^2.
(However, if you wan't to stick with the Nth root, you should bear in mind the irrationals and zeros)

It is also possible to express a proof by using the properties of the derivatives of odd and even functions, as suggested by @around.
I don't think it would be easier to prove it that way, but if you need to show this by using calculus, this is the way.

All that needed was a 'Q.E.D'at the end to make it EVEN MORE AWESOME.
Reply 17
Original post by gff
I would say yes.

-

-

Its negation:

I understand that, but if I was to use proof by contraposition, then I would assume not(Q) and show that it implies not(P) where P is xn<yn\displaystyle{x^n<y^n } and Q is x<y\displaystyle{x<y}.

So if I start with assuming xy\displaystyle{x{\ge}y}, how would i show that this implies xnyn\displaystyle{x^n{\ge}y^n}?
Not entirely sure what's going on here; seems to be a lot of confusion - largely because the problem doesn't seem that well specified.

Note that x<y    xn<yn x < y \iff x^n< y^n is effectively two statements; x>y    xn<ynx > y \implies x^n < y^n and xn<yn    x>yx^n < y^n \implies x > y.

I think this is relevant, because if I was proving this, I would show directly (via induction on n) that x<y    xn<ynx < y \implies x^n < y^n.

I would only use the contrapositive to show that xn<yn    x<yx^n < y^n \implies x < y.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't really see any other way of approaching this.
Reply 19
I can show the first part by induction, but I don't get how I would formally write out the proof by contraposition for the second bit.

Quick Reply

Latest