The Student Room Group

University's to adopt school uniforms

Can you imagine?

If your uni made it a condition that all students must wear a uniform similar to the one worn in secondary schools, would you wear it? Do you think it would be fair for those who can't afford nice clothes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Urgh, this can't be serious. I hope to god not. I HATED my school uniform, and it wasn't because I wanted to wear a ton of brands, but simply because the look and feel of it is so awful - you were freezing in winter and boiling in summer, plus the all-over blue and shade of it meant we resembled smurfs. Plus at that stage you really are an adult, not a child. You would think people have grown up enough not to bitch about stuff like that.

Sure, it can be difficult to pick what you want to wear that early in the morning when you're probably already running late, but you kinda get used to it after a few days and just throw on some clothes. It's not a problem at all in my uni though. Some girls come in really dressed up, some girls come in in tracksuits.. Noone really cares. Most people are too hungover to notice what the person next to them are wearing :wink:

I would be really mad though if they did insist on people wearing a uniform. Eurgh.
Reply 2
This is a hypothetical situation right? Your title suggests it's actually being planned :frown:.
Reply 3
Haha this would never happen, I hope...

Our school uniform was horrific; bright red chunky shirts with a black jumper. If the black jumper wasn't itchy or hot enough, the red shirt would make you sweat buckets :frown: Spose the fatties hated it more though!
Reply 4
I wouldn't reckon that they'd make University students wear a uniform :/ If they don't make them wear "Secondary School" type uniforms in Sixth Forms, then a University one would be a little... belittling.
Reply 5
uniform is for kids ..... UNI is for grown ups so no no for uniforms
Reply 6
I'd much prefer it if there was no uniform in uni (one thing i'm looking forward to hehe!) but I could manage it if students were told they can choose their own clothes but it has to be like sixth form uniform (office-attire) :smile:
Reply 7
Why have you put university's and not universities?

It would be awful, people in university are supposed to be adults. There would be no more reason for adopting uniforms in universities than in most offices etc.
Reply 8
lol how horrifiic. No I wouldn't.

I always thought the justification for uniforms was rubbish anyway - one argument for example was that uniforms made everyone the same, so you couldn't tell who the poor' kids were. I just felt that as rubbish since you could still tell - the poor kids would have threadbare hand me down uniform whilst the better off kids would have a new one every year. & on no uniform days it wasn't as if everyone pointed and laughed at anyone not wearing branded clothing e.t.c. The people who care about such things are highly unlikely to spend time with those that don''t anyway, wearing a uniform doesn't and wont change that! :/
It wouldn't happen. Even if they tried to enforce it it just wouldn't work.
Reply 10
Given that you have a fair portion of 50 year olds in universities... it'd be fecking great to see!
Depends on the uniform. My school basically says you can wear what you want provided it's smart trousers and a shirt that doesn't clash with the tie. So, apart from the tie, it's just smart casual.
Original post by The_Goose

Wikipedia says that until the 1960s Oxford students wore academic dress at all times. (I can't find a source for that statement though)
Reply 13
oh the horror...
Reply 14
Up until the 1930s, my university used to insist on the wearing of a red gown for undergraduates.

I own one (although as I'm no longer an undergrad, I'm not really entitled to wear it). If they brought them back, I'd fully support it.
Original post by fluteflute
Wikipedia says that until the 1960s Oxford students wore academic dress at all times. (I can't find a source for that statement though)

Still do in exams, matriculation and if they have been really naughty.
Would they make PHD student's wear them?
if it was like the big black robes with the capes that would be cool
Reply 18
This would just be horrendously messy and would never be enforced. Where would the line be drawn? Would part time students, postgrads wear one? What about during labs and practicals like in engineering? Everyone is an adult when they arrive at university and are treated as such with the independence and freedom, so wearing a uniform would be silly.
Original post by 24DJF
I wouldn't reckon that they'd make University students wear a uniform :/ If they don't make them wear "Secondary School" type uniforms in Sixth Forms, then a University one would be a little... belittling.

At my school apparently there was a proposal to have sixth formers wear school uniform but it got rejected :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest