The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by rozca
hey :smile: whats your ukcat?

AVG-762.5

Original post by hoonosewot
Accommodation's not hard to sort in Toon, absolutely tons of the stuff. Hotels, hostels and B&Bs all over the shop.

"Too"n true :wink: up in the north east plenty of hotels etc. depends where you want to stay though central Newcastle will cost a lot at short notice probably
(edited 12 years ago)
The panic is taking over slowly. :afraid:
Original post by Long Time Coming
The panic is taking over slowly. :afraid:

No need to panic. Looking at last years thread interivews were given out from next week onwards, so there is no point in worrying yet.

In face there is no point in worrying at all because that won't do anything to help will it now!

How are people feeling?
Reply 383
Also seems likely that unis have still not received the UKCAT scores. Edinburgh have confirmed this today and UKCAT failing to respond to tweeted requests for any info.:frown:
Reply 384
Oh aye, just seen the Twitter conversation.

Thought it seemed strange that Pearson had gone very quiet on their Twitter account.
Original post by adsyrah
Oh aye, just seen the Twitter conversation.

Thought it seemed strange that Pearson had gone very quiet on their Twitter account.

ahhh! theyve probably lost all of our results or something!!!! hahahaa, its probably coz theyre a bit embarrassed and dont want to say anything that could be damaging, if theyve had a fault and the results werent sent out on time.
Reply 386
yaay finally got my acknowledgement :biggrin: woooo 4/4 this year :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by rozca
yaay finally got my acknowledgement :biggrin: woooo 4/4 this year :smile:

Yep samee haha.

I had that heartstopping moment when you get an email from a university, and I was pretty disappointed when I realised it was only an acknowledgement haha. Nothing at all interesting :frown:
Reply 388
Original post by twelve
Yep samee haha.

I had that heartstopping moment when you get an email from a university, and I was pretty disappointed when I realised it was only an acknowledgement haha. Nothing at all interesting :frown:

hahah same, first thing i did when i got in from work.. my heart was racing, i think i just picked up "university" for the title, should have read it one word at a time like a normal person but i was looking everywhere haha. are you getting a load of UCAS media/target jobs emails? grrr so annoying!
Original post by Steerforth
No need to panic. Looking at last years thread interivews were given out from next week onwards, so there is no point in worrying yet.

In face there is no point in worrying at all because that won't do anything to help will it now!

How are people feeling?
While that is very true, reading around TSR is not helping. The panic is more to do with the fear that the cut-off will rise through the roof. :sigh:

In other news though, I just got the acknowledgement e-mail.
I'm feeling left out, no confirmation email yet!
While that is very true, reading around TSR is not helping. The panic is more to do with the fear that the cut-off will rise through the roof. :sigh:

In other news though, I just got the acknowledgement e-mail.

cut offs generally rise when there's an increase in applicants, and this year is the first time it has fallen in quite a while. Due to this I'd expect the cut off to either plateau or rise only slightly, I doubt it'll go above 680.
Reply 392
Original post by Normandy114
cut offs generally rise when there's an increase in applicants, and this year is the first time it has fallen in quite a while. Due to this I'd expect the cut off to either plateau or rise only slightly, I doubt it'll go above 680.

Has it definitely fallen though for Newcastle? OR has the overall medical applications nationwide fallen and hence you're making an assumption that Newcastle has also fallen by the same amount..?

Also, could it be that the cut-off has risen due to people being better informed about the exam, therefore better preparation? and maybe people are applying wiser now? (I know last year when i applied i didnt know newcastle/sheffield went purely by a ukcat basis, i would definitely have applied here had i known :frown: ) So do you think maybe the top ukcat-ers are applying here and therefore the average will be higher to reflect this?

Hopefully im just panicking and you are right about it being 680 tops!
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah, but there are less applicants with higher UKCAT scores than usual; that does not help.
Yeah, but there are less applicants with higher UKCAT scores than usual; that does not help.

How can you say people have got higher UKCAT scores than normal?

There is no evidence to back this claim up.
Reply 395
Original post by rozca
Has it definitely fallen though for Newcastle? OR has the overall medical applications nationwide fallen and hence you're making an assumption that Newcastle has also fallen by the same amount..?

Also, could it be that the cut-off has risen due to people being better informed about the exam, therefore better preparation? and maybe people are applying wiser now? (I know last year when i applied i didnt know newcastle/sheffield went purely by a ukcat basis, i would definitely have applied here had i known :frown: ) So do you think maybe the top ukcat-ers are applying here and therefore the average will be higher to reflect this?

Hopefully im just panicking and you are right about it being 680 tops!

Dunno where you're getting your info but UKCAT is the last thing that gets looked at for offering interviews and then never touched after that unless after interview and stuff still too many people (normally at this stage it goes down)
Original post by DHolliday
Dunno where you're getting your info but UKCAT is the last thing that gets looked at for offering interviews and then never touched after that unless after interview and stuff still too many people (normally at this stage it goes down)

You're completely wrong, after checking you meet entry requirements, UKCAT is the ONLY thing they look at pre-interview.
You're completely wrong, after checking you meet entry requirements, UKCAT is the ONLY thing they look at pre-interview.

Still though in a sense he is correct, as by it being the only thing, it is also the last. :smile:
Original post by telephone
Still though in a sense he is correct, as by it being the only thing, it is also the last. :smile:

Whatever :tongue:
Original post by Steerforth
How can you say people have got higher UKCAT scores than normal?

There is no evidence to back this claim up.

Have you seen the poll above? :P Yeah, TSR is not a good representation blah blah, but I still think most of the applicants will at least have had a score above or close to last year's cut-off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending