The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fitch6
Cut off has definitely been lowered this year as I have an interview with 665 and last year I wouldn't have been given one with this UKCAT score

Okay but what im trying to say is UKCAT is main decider after review of academics for interview, and that 2000 people most likely are not being interviewed.

Also maybe the average UKCAT or people that applied to Newcastle had an average lower than last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
To everyone who I met yesterday (16th Jan) at the interviews, sorry I never took your names, but I hope you all did well etc and maybe see you in the future :biggrin:
Reply 1182
Original post by NinjaRikki
Okay but what im trying to say is UKCAT is main decider after review of academics for interview, and that 2000 people most likely are not being interviewed.

Also maybe the average UKCAT or people that applied to Newcastle had an average lower than last year.

Yeah, that's right. Once they've checked your GCSEs and A-level results/predictions, they'll rank everyone by UKCAT. If 2000 applied, they'll make the 1000th the cut-off point, if 2500 applied, the 1250th would be the cut-off point, and so on. I think that's how it works - they always cut half. Last year, they interviewed well over 1000 applicants due to the sheer volume of applicants. Statistically, this year should be a bit less (as seen by the UKCAT cut-off), I hope. :smile:
Reply 1183
Had my interview on tuesday and was v. weird. not quite sure how I did- had a good cop bad cop situation where one interviewer (who I think was an admissions tutor) was smiling and nodding throughout the interview and then a doctor who just had the same straight face the whole way throughout the interview.

At the end of the bad cops questions he said 'well those were hard questions'- is that a good or bad thing???
Original post by fw953
Had my interview on tuesday and was v. weird. not quite sure how I did- had a good cop bad cop situation where one interviewer (who I think was an admissions tutor) was smiling and nodding throughout the interview and then a doctor who just had the same straight face the whole way throughout the interview.

At the end of the bad cops questions he said 'well those were hard questions'- is that a good or bad thing???

I had the same thing, was one a woman and the other a man? I also felt exactly the same way - no idea if I did well or not, but they seemed happy enough at the end.
Reply 1185
Original post by hookguy
I had the same thing, was one a woman and the other a man? I also felt exactly the same way - no idea if I did well or not, but they seemed happy enough at the end.

yeah the doctor (bad cop) was a man (was so nervous the only thing I caught was he worked at the royal freeman hospital or something like that??) and the admissions tutor was a woman- when was your interview??
Original post by fw953
yeah the doctor (bad cop) was a man (was so nervous the only thing I caught was he worked at the royal freeman hospital or something like that??) and the admissions tutor was a woman- when was your interview??

Looks like we got the same interviewers. Others are saying the interviewers were friendly but I didn't get that impression (woman was nice enough). I remember the man had an odd name or something? Anyways he asked me pretty odd questions, i got nervous and had to ask for time. He spent a lot of time writing as well and not looking at me.

My interview was December 12. I've spent many a night replaying my answers in my head :P Save yourself some suffering and just forget about it!
The good cop bad cop routine isn't uncommon, i had it in my interview and a few of my coursemates had something similar. I think they just like to do it to gage how you react to having someone disinterested/hostile to you in a pressure situation.
Reply 1188
Hey guys,

I havent really kept up with this forum so this has probably been asked/ answered before, but does anyone know what the ukcat cut off score is for the graduate programme this year??
Reply 1189
Original post by fw953

I had my interview in the same day.

In my interview, although they both nodded , one interviewer was smiling and the other was serious. So i kind of felt it was a "good cop bad cop" situation, as well.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but don't worry too much!
Reply 1190
Hey guys, are any of you that were there today on TSR? If so, how did it go etc?

..I agree with the 'good cop, bad cop' too! I had a friendly blonde woman who would smile and nod and a much more stern man who didn't really show emotions, some of you may have had the same interviewers? :smile: Is it the 31st March we all get to hear for certain?
Oh Newcastle... Why must you reply only in March? Whyyy?
Original post by Paralysis

Oh dear....us grads get to hear end of Feb/beginning of March. Obviously we have far less patience the older we get!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 1193
Original post by Paralysis

Do you know if they'll start making offers in the beginning of March and they all be done by late March or they'll only start making them at late March?
Original post by MGA
Do you know if they'll start making offers in the beginning of March and they all be done by late March or they'll only start making them at late March?

Not really, but I looked on last year's thread and they started on 1st March last year, didn't check where they finished :frown:
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...

I just cant take it anymore!!

Breathe.

Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...

:redface:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...

I just cant take it anymore!!

Breathe.

Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...
Only 2 more months...

:redface:

Thats exactly how I am feeling if not a lot more !
Reply 1197
Original post by MGA

Its the end of March I believe :frown: I had my interview only 2 days ago and this is what they said at the end before the goodbyes. Exactly 10 weeks today and all will be revealed!! aaah!!
Reply 1198
interview on the 3rd of February, anyone else got the same date? :smile:
Reply 1199
Last year the first offers came out 4 March approx 12pm, but then they carried on being given for a fair while after that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending