The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£10 million per year would be comfortable.
Over £9000
Original post by bellx
This would be for a house etc in a suburban area, what would the total household income be for life to be comfortable?

So much is going to depend on what you regard as "comfortable". What was in your mind when you used that word? What does "comfortable" mean to you? :smile:
Reply 4
I would say a joint family income of circa 60k would make you relatively comfortable allowing you to have your avg house 2 cars and the ability to save for the extra bits like holidays.

However if your idea of comfortable is have wads of disposable cash then you would need to be on a lot more.
Reply 5
you'll need around £250,000 per year in total for a big house, 2 cars 4kids and holidays definately. Kids are expensive , I know families who scrape by on £100,000 a year but then I guess personal debt is a major factor aswell
Reply 6
Original post by bellx
This would be for a house etc in a suburban area, what would the total household income be for life to be comfortable?

My household income is around 26k a year and we live comfortably as a family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids - USED to be 4 kids), in a 4 bedroom house running two cars and have luxuries like Sky tv, decent food, technology in a suburban Greater London area and then leftover wages get put into savings, which further helps us keep comfortable.

So as long as you can effectively save after you pay all your bills you can get by relatively well (if your saving enough that is) you don't need to earn 50k or more a year to start feeling 'comfortable' despite what people say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Great place to ask... a student forum... where most answers you get will be based on what the posters think their parents earn. Their impression of what their parents earn may be right or it may be totally wrong, having been based on a snippet of information which was actually quite misleading.

Quite apart from that, "living comfortably" means wildly different things to different people, particularly when they haven't experienced anything else and regard it as normal. So the last three answers, 26k, 60k and 250k are in fact all reasonable bearing in mind that both rich and poor people bring up families :rolleyes:

As an example of how little sense you're going to get, there is already confusion as to whether a family of 4 means 2 kids or 4 kids :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Selenax
you'll need around £250,000 per year in total for a big house, 2 cars 4kids and holidays definately. Kids are expensive , I know families who scrape by on £100,000 a year but then I guess personal debt is a major factor aswell

Rubbish. You can buy a decently sized house for that amount, let alone per year. I come from a family of 5 (6 before my sister moved out) and we get by on 1/10th of what you've stated with two cars and a 4 bedroom house. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by KJane
My household income is around 26k a year and we live comfortably as a family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids - USED to be 4 kids), in a 4 bedroom house running two cars and have luxuries like Sky tv, decent food, technology in a suburban Greater London area and then leftover wages get put into savings, which further helps us keep comfortable.

So as long as you can effectively save after you pay all your bills you can get by relatively well (if your saving enough that is) you don't need to earn 50k or more a year to start feeling 'comfortable' despite what people say.

I don't know how your family can possibly run two cars and save on so little money. Not being funny, but do you get enough to eat? Do you eat from Iceland and Aldi? Fuel costs are so high now. Do the cars get driven?

I suspect either you are wrong about the 26K or is that after-tax plus your family get working tax credits and your mortgage is very low or paid off?
Reply 10
Original post by ap3456
Great place to ask... a student forum... where most answers you get will be based on what the posters think their parents earn. Their impression of what their parents earn may be right or it may be totally wrong, having been based on a snippet of information which was actually quite misleading.

Quite apart from that, "living comfortably" means wildly different things to different people, particularly when they haven't experienced anything else and regard it as normal. So the last three answers, 26k, 60k and 250k are in fact all reasonable bearing in mind that both rich and poor people bring up families :rolleyes:

As an example of how little sense you're going to get, there is already confusion as to whether a family of 4 means 2 kids or 4 kids :smile:

Sure, we are already getting wildly silly answers... the best thing is to find out from OP what they mean by comfortable and then calculate from there.

The size of the mortgage is the decisive factor, there is a world of difference between living in a mortgage-free house and one with some stonking great Northern Rock 125% "problem lender" high-rate mortgage, like the one my Mum is stuck with.
Reply 11
Original post by Fires
I don't know how your family can possibly run two cars and save on so little money. Not being funny, but do you get enough to eat? Do you eat from Iceland and Aldi? Fuel costs are so high now. Do the cars get driven?

I suspect either you are wrong about the 26K or is that after-tax plus your family get working tax credits and your mortgage is very low or paid off?

I'm not wrong since I went over my mother's earnings when we went through student finance. We've got 8 years left on the mortgage so is mainly paid off but even years ago when it was more my family income has never been higher than £31,000 before tax (Mum's got a new, lower paying job due to being made redundant in the recession.)

We shop in Tesco's and yes we get plenty to eat. One is a car, the other is a diesel van which is my dad's and yes they both get driven. My Dad does house clearances but earns too little for it to be taxed, he might get 2-3 hours a week if he is lucky but otherwise nothing as people are trying to save and he isn't getting the jobs in.

We haven't also just started saving. My parents have built up their savings from incomes around this size for years (they've never really worked at the same time due to one always being off to look after the kids) but mum told me they've got 12k+ in savings accounts from putting aside wages.
Reply 12
Original post by KJane
I'm not wrong since I went over my mother's earnings when we went through student finance. We've got 8 years left on the mortgage so is mainly paid off but even years ago when it was more my family income has never been higher than £31,000 before tax (Mum's got a new, lower paying job due to being made redundant in the recession.)

We shop in Tesco's and yes we get plenty to eat. One is a car, the other is a diesel van which is my dad's and yes they both get driven. My Dad does house clearances but earns too little for it to be taxed, he might get 2-3 hours a week if he is lucky but otherwise nothing as people are trying to save and he isn't getting the jobs in.

We haven't also just started saving. My parents have built up their savings from incomes around this size for years (they've never really worked at the same time due to one always being off to look after the kids) but mum told me they've got 12k+ in savings accounts from putting aside wages.

Do you get working tax credits?

Sounds hard to do what you do - I guess you must live carefully and have an affordable mortgage. Most people in your situation struggle with debts.
Reply 13
Original post by Fires
Do you get working tax credits?

Sounds hard to do what you do - I guess you must live carefully and have an affordable mortgage. Most people in your situation struggle with debts.

I think my mum gets working tax credits.

But yeah my parents are huge 'savers.' They only buy those luxuries knowing we can afford them, my mum has never owned a credit card and my dad only uses his for emergencies and only because he knows he can pay it off without gaining the interest. They've never been in debt, before my mum met my dad she worked 2 jobs as a single mother to two kids and went hungry to avoid debt. They make sure they live in their means which means we live quite well.

I understand what you mean though, my sister earns about £500 less than my mum does each month, is living alone and yet has debts of 5-6k. She's considered the 'black sheep' of the family for her poor money management. But that was my orginal point, unless you earn pennies you can save and budget carefully enough on an income such as my own. But growing up I never wanted for anything and that was only on under £30k a year. :tongue:

Coming out with figures like £250,000 or even £60,000 is a little silly, of course you can live extremely well on them and afford the greatest luxuries, but I was going for telling the OP a more realistic figure for 'comfortable' living.
Original post by KJane
Rubbish. You can buy a decently sized house for that amount, let alone per year. I come from a family of 5 (6 before my sister moved out) and we get by on 1/10th of what you've stated with two cars and a 4 bedroom house. :rolleyes:

A decent size house in the greater london area? Don't think so. A family of 4 or 5 would require a 4 bedroom house probably. Where I live that would set you back at least £500,000.

Also 26k nowadays will make it hard to save enough to buy a house.
Reply 15
Original post by KJane
I think my mum gets working tax credits.

But yeah my parents are huge 'savers.' They only buy those luxuries knowing we can afford them, my mum has never owned a credit card and my dad only uses his for emergencies and only because he knows he can pay it off without gaining the interest. They've never been in debt, before my mum met my dad she worked 2 jobs as a single mother to two kids and went hungry to avoid debt. They make sure they live in their means which means we live quite well.

I understand what you mean though, my sister earns about £500 less than my mum does each month, is living alone and yet has debts of 5-6k. She's considered the 'black sheep' of the family for her poor money management. But that was my orginal point, unless you earn pennies you can save and budget carefully enough on an income such as my own. But growing up I never wanted for anything and that was only on under £30k a year. :tongue:

Coming out with figures like £250,000 or even £60,000 is a little silly, of course you can live extremely well on them and afford the greatest luxuries, but I was going for telling the OP a more realistic figure for 'comfortable' living.

Sure, the very large figures are associated with people's expectations based presumably on a very upper-middle class upbringing; there is a massive difference between upper-middle class comfort and lower-middle/working class "comfort".

It sounds like part of what has worked for your parents is that they were very careful to not take on debts. So many people have their lives ruined by the rapacious credit card companies and banks. These institutions exist to prey off working people.
Reply 16
Original post by fudgesundae
A decent size house in the greater london area? Don't think so. A family of 4 or 5 would require a 4 bedroom house probably. Where I live that would set you back at least £500,000.

And that is indeed the problem, you can only advise based on your personal experience. Of course you don't need £500,000 for a four bedroom house in the greater london area. Here is one for £185,000 for instance - if I spent another few minutes looking I would find you much cheaper ones.
That would depend entirely on what you expect from a "comfortable" lifestyle. For example, if you lived in a small house which you owned outright, and were strict with the food you bought and didn't spend money on things you didn't truly need, then you could get by on a salary of £15k including all clothes and bills. But of course most people's idea of "comfortable" includes the likes of Sky TV, internet, mobile phones, laptops, nice clothes, cars etc.. which would obviously push it up a lot.
Reply 18
between £17,500 & £25,000
Reply 19
Original post by KJane
Md.

So both your parents earn £13,000?

Latest

Trending

Trending