The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Erich Hartmann

Family of 4, probably the barest minimum would be a 3 bedroom house, though something along the size of 4 bedrooms would be ideal. If you are anywhere inside the M25, I probably won't buy a 3 bedroom house for my own family to live in unless it cost at least £450,000.... anything less chances are it is in a dodgy or below average neighbourhood with substandard schools. Probably be pretty near areas with loads of chavs as well.

My sister just got her offer accepted on a 4 bed house in Harrow for 300k. It's not in an area of chavs and dodgy schools. Apparently they got the price down quite a bit because they have no chain and can complete quickly. I was surprised at this price as that's about the same as my brothers have paid for 1 and 2 bed flats in zone 2, but apparently it is possible to get family-sized houses quite cheaply if you go further out and look for a bargain. For what it's worth she has 2 kids (soon to be 3 any day now), the family income is currently about 65k and she is a stay at home mum. They seem to manage fine.
Reply 81
Original post by hmaus
My sister just got her offer accepted on a 4 bed house in Harrow for 300k. It's not in an area of chavs and dodgy schools. Apparently they got the price down quite a bit because they have no chain and can complete quickly. I was surprised at this price as that's about the same as my brothers have paid for 1 and 2 bed flats in zone 2, but apparently it is possible to get family-sized houses quite cheaply if you go further out and look for a bargain. For what it's worth she has 2 kids (soon to be 3 any day now), the family income is currently about 65k and she is a stay at home mum. They seem to manage fine.

Yes but £65K is a large family income, even in London, so I would think they would.

House prices are much lower in reality right now than the advertised prices on Rightmove, etc, in most areas. You regularly hear about people being forced to sell their homes for 25% less than the asking price after months and months of no progress, even in London.
Depends where you want to live and what your definition of comfort is.
17 grand -21 ish would be fine, I am from a family of 7 and my dad doesn't earn a decent wage and we get along fine.
Reply 84
Original post by mrs.k.wilkinson
Me and my husband are 20 years old with a one year old daughter and we manage on 8k a year. We have sky TV, broadband, two contract mobile phones, laptop and computers and HD TV's etc. We eat well and our daughter does not go without clean clothing and toys to play with.

It is not a case of what budget you have, no matter what your income, getting by is do-able :smile:

Wow, that's very impressive. How do you manage. If you pay rent at £400 a month, council tax at £100, food at £100 and utility bills at £70 then that's already over £8000 a year before any of the rest of the stuff.
Reply 85
My family: 2 parents, 4 kids.

Mum didn't work and dad earns about >£12,000
Reply 86
Original post by KJane
Rubbish. You can buy a decently sized house for that amount, let alone per year. I come from a family of 5 (6 before my sister moved out) and we get by on 1/10th of what you've stated with two cars and a 4 bedroom house. :rolleyes:

no need to show off rich boy
Reply 87
Original post by Mbob
Wow, that's very impressive. How do you manage. If you pay rent at £400 a month, council tax at £100, food at £100 and utility bills at £70 then that's already over £8000 a year before any of the rest of the stuff.

LOL, the poster wasn't being honest about their benefits situation - they certainly receive more in total than £8K.
Original post by Fires
Something about your account simply does not ring true. How did you acquire two additional properties on buy-to-let given your apparently complete lack of family income and assets?

Well I am telling the truth and that's what happened. They're 2 next-door properties, my dad lets one to a group of chinese international students (studying at hull university) and they told their friends that my dad would have next door available by september this year so more are moving in. As I said we get in significant credit card debt when my dad does things like this, but he is very clever at avoiding high interest rates by moving about overdrafts - nothing illegal however of course.

I'm just telling you what I know, I'm not going to go ask my dad now because it would seem weird and obviously sharing my family's financial details isn't something my dad would like, I'm doing it for the sake of being helpful on this thread. :smile:

If it helps they're both terraced 'student' houses - the mortgages are taken off our current house (that's how the deposit is paid I think) so our mortgage increases on our house that we live in - my dad renovated each one after buying and bought them for around 100k I think (and are now worth about 130k after renovation according to agents but my dad wants to rent until the mortgage is gone).
Reply 89
Original post by hassi94
Well I am telling the truth and that's what happened. They're 2 next-door properties, my dad lets one to a group of chinese international students (studying at hull university) and they told their friends that my dad would have next door available by september this year so more are moving in. As I said we get in significant credit card debt when my dad does things like this, but he is very clever at avoiding high interest rates by moving about overdrafts - nothing illegal however of course.

I'm just telling you what I know, I'm not going to go ask my dad now because it would seem weird and obviously sharing my family's financial details isn't something my dad would like, I'm doing it for the sake of being helpful on this thread. :smile:

If it helps they're both terraced 'student' houses - the mortgages are taken off our current house (that's how the deposit is paid I think) so our mortgage increases on our house that we live in - my dad renovated each one after buying and bought them for around 100k I think (and are now worth about 130k after renovation according to agents but my dad wants to rent until the mortgage is gone).

Okey dokey. It's just that on the income you've stated and in recent times particularly, it would be damn-near impossible to get buy-to-let uplift mortgages against such a low-value existing property. I am going to assume that there is more to this than you are saying. Your "proof" that one can be wealthy on little income is so far not working on me. :smile:
Original post by Fires
Yes but £65K is a large family income, even in London, so I would think they would.

House prices are much lower in reality right now than the advertised prices on Rightmove, etc, in most areas. You regularly hear about people being forced to sell their homes for 25% less than the asking price after months and months of no progress, even in London.

In Central London 65k is below average. But yeh I agree with your point on house prices. Sellers are glad just to be able to sell their house so are willing to take massive chunks off the price.
Reply 91
Original post by 2pasda
no need to show off rich boy

:lolwut:

How am I showing off? I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of what was written. I'm hardly rich.

AND I'm a girl. :huff:
Reply 92
Thanks everyone who's contributed I've got a rough idea, really helpful :smile: And interesting, everyone's take on 'comfortable' is different :smile::smile:
Reply 93
Children are very expensive and demanding. In order to give them the best start in life you do need financial security and stability. I am from the South-East and the cost of living is quite high. Before I would even consider having children I would like a combined income of £75,000 after tax.

If I am honest, at this point in time I really don't want children anyway! I'm sure I'll change my mind as I get older.

It amazes me at how people can survive on figures such as £25,000. I am sure people are capable if they're childless, just not with children. Taking into account all of the costs, I really do not see how it's possible!
There seems to be a large number of people in the thread who haven't got a clue about life
Reply 95
Original post by bradshawi
Children are very expensive and demanding. In order to give them the best start in life you do need financial security and stability. I am from the South-East and the cost of living is quite high. Before I would even consider having children I would like a combined income of £75,000 after tax.

If I am honest, at this point in time I really don't want children anyway! I'm sure I'll change my mind as I get older.

It amazes me at how people can survive on figures such as £25,000. I am sure people are capable if they're childless, just not with children. Taking into account all of the costs, I really do not see how it's possible!

So you think that everyone with children in the South East is earning £75,000 after tax :rolleyes:
Reply 96
i reckon, for a family living in their means with normal expenses (standard priced mortgage) that allowing for a couple of cars and 1 holiday a year, based on personal experience in my family, that outside of london a COMBINED income of 45k should be enough, so about 22k each parent.

shame though, cos i wouldnt wanna be bought up with both my parents working all week, not before i went to school anyway :frown:
Reply 97
Original post by KJane
:lolwut:

How am I showing off? I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of what was written. I'm hardly rich.

AND I'm a girl. :huff:

well chillax :tongue:
Original post by Fires
Sorry, don't believe your income can be that low anyway.

That income is with tax credits and child benefit :smile: I don't know your circumstances but i do hope that you are not the type of person to assume that benefits = substantial income because for us that is not the case.

I appreciate it may seem hard for people to realise a family can manage on such a small income but it is possible :smile:
Reply 99
about £75000/annum

Latest

Trending

Trending