The Student Room Group

Do you have to drop a course when you're in the second year of college?

I wish to do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computing. I really don't want to drop a course because I think all four will definitely benefit me in the coming years. Does it even matter if I drop a course? Will universities penalise me for doing so?

Reply 1
Hey, in the second year of college they usually recommend students drop a subject as it will be very tough to take on all four in A2 but if they feel you have the 'brains' to do all four then they may also push you to carry on with them all...I think you shud mke the decision urself depending on ur AS grades and universities definitely will look out for those students who have four full a - levels but regardless of this dont think u r misisng out if u do drop one :smile:
If you drop one, you won't be frowned upon by universities as 3 A2's + 1 AS is what is expected.
It is considered difficult to take all four subjects to A2, as four at AS was often enough for some! But if you coped well enough, acheived all high (A/B) grades, and had a decent record during year 12 you should be OK to carry it on if you want to. You could always just drop one of the subjects at any point in the year if you feel it gets too much... You'll still have the AS in that subject anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest