The Student Room Group

When does Student Finance come in?

On results day, once we confirm a place and everything, what exactly happens next with Student Finance? Say I've applied for the Maintenance Loan and the Maintenance Grant, and it's paid to me in installments, when does the first one come in? My tenancy begins on September 1st and I need to be able to pay it!
Reply 1
Comes in around 2-3 days after you've signed on at your university?
Reply 2
The loans won't come through till your attendance has been confirmed at your university, which is normally when you physically enrol and collect your ID card. I know at mine the ID card had to be scanned first for it to confirm you've actually started university. The loans definitely won't come through before the first payment date on your payment schedule, which for mine is 19th September as that's my universities first week of term and last year my loans came through a couple of days after I'd collected my ID card during the freshers.
Original post by Marinated_in_Joy
On results day, once we confirm a place and everything, what exactly happens next with Student Finance? Say I've applied for the Maintenance Loan and the Maintenance Grant, and it's paid to me in installments, when does the first one come in? My tenancy begins on September 1st and I need to be able to pay it!

If you log into your account it tells you. It's a couple of days after your course starts I think.
You should have a letter with a detailed breakdown of what you're going to receive and on what date you will receive it, I take it you haven't been sent this yet? You may want to give them a call, depending on how long ago you applied.
Mine doesn't come in until after freshers week. Is this normal?
Original post by jaydemikaela
If you log into your account it tells you. It's a couple of days after your course starts I think.

And ****, because my tenancy starts 4 weeks before my term starts.......I see my parents having to begrudgingly help out with this one............

And ****, because my tenancy starts 4 weeks before my term starts.......I see my parents having to begrudgingly help out with this one............

Your Student Finance account online? Unless you didn't apply online. But they send you a letter with the dates on I think.

if your in halls they will know when your student finance is due to come in and shouldn't charge you still that date. if you're with a landlord just talk to them, they will probably understand you wont be the only one.

Mine starts a week before my lectures start, two days after I move in so at the very beginning of freshers week.

Basically you'll get it within 2-3 days of enrolling, guaranteed provided you applied before 31st may. If not, it may still come on that day or it may take a bit longer.

If you applied online with student finance at the direct.gov website, you should log on as all the information will be there for you. If not, then phone them up to ask them, as you should have received a letter with payment dates and amounts on it by now.
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
if your in halls they will know when your student finance is due to come in and shouldn't charge you still that date. if you're with a landlord just talk to them, they will probably understand you wont be the only one.

Wasn't eligible for uni halls so I've had to go private, not sure what their policy is.......I'm looking around tomorrow and I'll ask. Tbh I think I'll have to go with an overdraft from my bank - they can give the overdraft before september!

Thanks for help people.
Reply 11
Original post by who.the.heck

Yes, that will be the date your Uni has told them your term starts. Some Unis consider freshers week as part of term time and others consider it as being before term starts.
Original post by flipshot
Yes, that will be the date your Uni has told them your term starts. Some Unis consider freshers week as part of term time and others consider it as being before term starts.

Ahhh cool :smile: thanks!
Original post by who.the.heck

Entirely normal yes, you have to physically enrol before you get your money, same for every year.
Original post by truechristian91
Entirely normal yes, you have to physically enrol before you get your money, same for every year.

btw your sig is FANTASTIC. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending