The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Plagiarism Please Help

I have just recieved a letter explaing that I am under investigation for a plagiarsim offence.
I am absolutely terrifed of what is going to happen and how long the investigation is expected to take?
I have already spent the last seven days in such a menatal and emotional turmoil and it has now completely taken over my life, health and well being.
I am unsure who to seek advise from as I am with the OU.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks

:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Is this a personal statement issue or an examination/coursework issue?

If you know that you didn't plagiarise then you should be all right. Exam boards have software that looks for similarities in work and if they find 2 that are X% similar then they'll investigate it.

If the two pieces of work are from the same school then it's likely that it'll result in disqualification, however if 1 piece of work is from a school in London and the other is from a school in Sunderland (or something similar) then it is very unlikely that any plagiarism occurred and it is coincidental.

The main question you have to ask yourself is "Did I copy anyone else's work?" If the answer is no then you should be fine. They'll likely find no evidence of foul play. Even if they do then you can always appeal and it can be sorted out there.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Thank you for your reply.
Plagiarism has been detected in an assignment a previous Tma, they are suggesting that over half of the assignment has been afeected.
I am aware of some simularities between a piece of course I have done and a fellow students. Should I have committed this offence then I have done so unwittingly...

I am also unsure of how long to expect the investigation to continue for?
Apart from the official letter and a copy of the Code of Practice for student discipline, I have had no other advise or support to the matter.
Isolation at this point is an understatement.!
Reply 3
I went through a similar situation. I was told to attend a meeting infront of the board (or whoever they were) this was sorted out within a day or so then they gave me there decision at the end of the meeting. Their notes were also sent to the Dean and he then made the final decision. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by michaelhaych
Is this a personal statement issue or an examination/coursework issue?

The OP has said he/she is at the Open University, so will be an issue in a submitted TMA (tutor marked assignment).

The main question you have to ask yourself is "Did I copy anyone else's work?" If the answer is no then you should be fine. They'll likely find no evidence of foul play. Even if they do then you can always appeal and it can be sorted out there.

Plaigarism is more than just "copying work from another person". Poor referencing can also result in work which appears plaigarised as you're still taking the work of another and passing it off as your own, even if it isn't intended. So it's always important to note take carefully and make sure all references are included. Even copying work doesn't need to be word for word.

I'm moving this to the Open University subforum, although I'm not sure if any OU students here have been in a similar position (there have been many students from other universities, however).

I cannot speak on behalf of the OU but, even if found guilty, it is unlikely you'll get thrown off your course. A mark penalty or request tor resubmit the work is more likely. But this does depend on a number of factors, including whether they think you acted out of dishonesty, with an intention to deceive, or whether it was poor academic practice (poor referencing). It's unlikely the similarity is coincidental, though it happens.

Did the Code of Practice outline the procedure and any appeal process?
If you haven't copied any work, then there isn't a problem?
Reply 6
Original post by RastaMannn
If you haven't copied any work, then there isn't a problem?

As mentioned, and without meaning to panic the OP, plaigarism isn't just deliberately copying work. Forgetting quotation marks, forgetting to reference, or paraphrasing is also counted as plaigarism, as you're still passing off other peoples words/ideas as your own (even if it is unintentional most of the time). In this case, although it's still a serious offence, the penalty may be more lenient.
Original post by River85
As mentioned, and without meaning to panic the OP, plaigarism isn't just deliberately copying work. Forgetting quotation marks, forgetting to reference, or paraphrasing is also counted as plaigarism, as you're still passing off other peoples words/ideas as your own (even if it is unintentional most of the time). In this case, although it's still a serious offence, the penalty may be more lenient.

oh my bad, I suppose a simple explination to the board would be accepted?
Hi River,

Many thanks for your support and advise....

Indeed they sent me a copy of the penalties.... as follow:

SD 3.8
The following penalties relating to assessed work:
a Not allowing all or part of an assignment or assignments to be counted for assessment purposes (no substitution will be allowed for any assignment that has not been counted, or has been only part counted, for assessment purposes);
b Awarding an assignment a ‘capped’ mark;
c Awarding the following results for an assessment which has been approved to be included in the second examinable assessment component (see Definitions, Examinations above):

zero percent, or

allow resubmission but with a ‘capped’ mark.
(‘Capped’ means that an upper limit is imposed on the mark.)

I am still unsure of what it will mean? And if they will pass my course?
Reply 9
I had this a while ago, I got the letter etc. I just had to explain everything to my tutor who told me what the issues were. Mine was poor referencing & basically not checking my work before submitting.
Nothing happened to me other than a low mark as I think they didn't mark that part of the TMA.
Is this really a common problem with the OU? I know they're impossible to argue with.

At what point did they say you were being 'investigated'?
Hi Stimulation...

I recieved a letter last week explaining that I was under investigation...
Original post by refelctiveremorse
Hi Stimulation...

I recieved a letter last week explaining that I was under investigation...

Are you mid-course or have you completed it?
I am due to complete the course in Sept..... evryhting is hanging on a thread and at this stage it is not an option to fail :confused:
Reply 14
Going through the same thing myself, found out a day after everyone got there exam results, have had to respond to their findings, they will write to me after to let me know the outcome, I then have to wait upto 2 weeks for my exam results, does not help when I have a conditional offer for University that is reliant on passing this course. If i don't get results soon I will loose my place. mine was also for a tma done in February !!
Hi Werkit,

I am sorry to hear you are also going through this. I find its the waiting that is the most hardest part...... not heard from them since the initial letter two weeks ago. Its the waiting and isolation that is causing me so much stress along with anxieties.
Reply 16
have you heard anything back yet?
Hi Werkit,

No not heard a thing.. The worry of not hearing anything is causing me so much stress..... especially with looming EMA..... its so hard to consentrate!
How about you? How are you doing with it all?
Reply 18
got a reply, but not what i would have liked, losing marks for that Tma, hoping the substitution still applies, have to wait upto 3weeks for results now
I am still waiting to hear! How long from the first letter did you have to wait? I am getting concerend now!!!

Quick Reply

Latest