The Student Room Group

Guardian: Initial tests suggests Duggan did not fire at Police

Initial ballistics tests on the bullet that lodged in a police officer's radio when Mark Duggan died on Thursday night show it was a police issue bullet, the Guardian understands.

The revelation will fuel the fury in Tottenham about the killing of Mark Duggan by armed officers. It also undermines suggestions that there was an exchange of fire between Duggan and the police before he died. The bullet which was found lodged in the radio of one of the officers at the scene is still undergoing forensic tests. But reliable sources have said the first ballistics examinations suggested it was a police issue bullet. These are very distinct as the Metropolitan Police uses dum dum type hollowed out bullets designed not to pass through an object.

The early suggestion from the IPCC was that the Met officers had returned fire after someone in the minicab opened fire. But the result of the ballistics early test suggests both shots fired came from the police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/07/tottenham-riots-police-duggan-live#block-20

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whuuuuuudddddaaaaaaafffuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh?!?!?!?!?!
Reply 2
Oh bollox.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe the Guardian on this, or what it is trying to imply. Intial tests suggested. No certaintity. And let us be fair, it is the Guardian.
Reply 3
Only Poirot can figure this one out!
Reply 4
What an injustice, lets loot to make things better !!!
Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Sadly, it would not actually surprise me if it is true.
Two scenarios:

1. One policeman accidentally discharges their firearm and hits their companion's radio. The other officer panics, decides the guy in the minicab must be shooting at him, and returns fire.

2. Initial tests are initial.
Reply 7
Your title is completely misleading. The tests don't reveal that he didn't fire at police at all. It doesn't prove anything either way.
The metropolitan police caught lying AGAIN about murdering defenseless black people (Google: Smiley Culture).

Get armed people!
Original post by Steevee
Oh bollox.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe the Guardian on this, or what it is trying to imply. Intial tests suggested. No certaintity. And let us be fair, it is the Guardian.

what are you on about the guardian is a reliable source
Reply 10
Why am i not surprised.
Reply 11
If Mark Duggan was armed and truly dodgy, there's a chance he had access to police issue bullets or at least similar ones acquired through illegal channels. Drug dealers and hardcore organised criminals don't exactly have cap guns and Super Soakers.

That said, I'm very sceptical about all this and there is probably more than meets the eye.
At least he's off the streets and no longer a danger to society.
lets face it

although this isnt really proof either way

would anyone be really surprised if it was proven he didnt fire i mean seriously with the track record of police in this country

there are genuinely times i think we might be better off if we were all just allowed to take the law upon ourselves well almost XD
Reply 14
Original post by ceazykiyare
At least he's off the streets and no longer a danger to society.

Who, the copper who was allegedly shot?
Reply 15
Original post by ch0llima
If Mark Duggan was armed and truly dodgy, there's a chance he had access to police issue bullets or at least similar ones acquired through illegal channels. Drug dealers and hardcore organised criminals don't exactly have cap guns and Super Soakers.

That said, I'm very sceptical about all this and there is probably more than meets the eye.

Agreed, I mean the police have said they recovered a 'non police issue firearm' at the scene, so even if this guy didn't shoot at the police, which is inconclusive at the minute, if he makes a movement or holds up or reaches for something that could be considered a 'hostile movement' the police will shoot.
Reply 16
This is not suprising.

I am very good friends with a girl who lives on the same estate as this guy.
Apparently he was very well known and has been quite 'street smart' for a long time.

I'm not trying to say I know what happened however I have family members who are part of non black gang culture and everyone I know has said a person who is that street smart and that clued up will never open fire at the police first.

He knew he was being followed, he didn't want his mini cab to stop but most people who are aware of the 'street' life know that when faced with two police officers you don't just shoot one of them.

That is too bizarre.

This story is just too fishy.
Original post by Kibalchich
Who, the copper who was allegedly shot?

No, the gangster.
Reply 18
Original post by ceazykiyare
No, the gangster.

Which gangster?
Reply 19
A gang member from Tottenham who is that experienced and clued up wouldn't just open fire on police.

He didn't have drugs or anything on him, he knew that the most that he would get was possesion for his gun. Something many people he knew have had to go to jail and come out for. Getting caught with a weapon isn't new or unheard of there.

This story is just too fishy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending