The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
So sick of waiting!!! :frown:
Reply 381
offers from sussex (AAA) and southampton (AAB) for q300... rejections from warwick and oxford and waiting for final offer ahh welllllll
Original post by saachi
Hey :smile: I applied to Exeter (cornwall campus).

Woowoowoo :smile: Could be country folk together haha Where you from? male/female? :smile:

Anyone else applied for Liverpool, UWE, cardiff, Birmingham city or exeter [cornwall campus??? :colondollar:

x
Reply 383
warwick set my application to unsuccessful on track two days ago but have failed to send me a rejection letter or email. is this a mistake or are they just being rude as hell?
Reply 384
Original post by woodyfry
warwick set my application to unsuccessful on track two days ago but have failed to send me a rejection letter or email. is this a mistake or are they just being rude as hell?

Probably not a mistake from the sounds of it :frown: Sorry. Most unis won't send a letter email to say you've been rejected.
Reply 385
Original post by MissSimkiss
Woowoowoo :smile: Could be country folk together haha Where you from? male/female? :smile:

Anyone else applied for Liverpool, UWE, cardiff, Birmingham city or exeter [cornwall campus??? :colondollar:

x

Female :smile: From India- right now, the only thing pulling me towards Exeter is the comparitive warmth...Otherwise, I doubt I'll pick it over Edinburgh and Durham! :tongue:

I've just been rejected by Warwick and I have no idea why: for my own sanity, I've just concluded that they're -insert swear word of choice here-
Original post by muse_of_fire

Jumping on the anti-warwick bandwagon! I too just saw an 'unsuccessful' :frown:
Reply 388
Anyone heard from Cardiff recently? I sent my application off on the 30th got offers from all but nothing from Cardiff as yet..?! Should I be panicking?
Reply 389
I thought that I might sidle in here as I am technically an English 2012er - has anybody applied for English via the CAO to any of the Irish universities?

By Irish universities, I mean Trinity :colonhash:

(Keep quiet about the fact that James Joyce actually went to UCD :colone:)
Reply 390
I've just been rejected by Warwick and I have no idea why: for my own sanity, I've just concluded that they're -insert swear word of choice here-

I know, what's wrong with them?! They sent my friend an offer of 40 IB points! (which is insanely difficult to get, I would've thought only Oxbridge/ Imperial/ UCL can afford to ask for that much). Feeling so lucky not to have applied there!
Reply 391

yhh i felt the same. will probs be contacting them to get some reasons

At the risk of sounding conspiracy theorist it seems that some Universities reject people that have applied to Oxbridge. Obviously I cannot prove this but last year I was rejected from Durham, St Andrews and Exeter and yet got an offer from Cambridge and my friend (in a previous year) got an Offer from Cambridge and was rejected from Durham, Edinburgh and Warwick. My other friend got an offer from Oxford but was rejected from everywhere else.

Of course it now sounds like I’m trying to justify my numerous rejections but I have an acquaintance who was a PhD student and was involved at admissions at Cambridge and she said that it was a worrying trend. Before on UCAS the universities could see where else you had applied and the order of priority and certain universities would tend to reject people that didn’t pick them first. This seems to be a continuation of that, but instead they see the date of your application and the strength of it and surmise you applied to Oxbridge and then reject you.

I don’t know, maybe this is paranoia. But the fact that all of these strong candidates get rejected but then get an Oxbridge offer is pretty weird. It’s all political really, if they know that you are likely to go somewhere else or that you are more likely to choose another university then they seem to reject. So there was probably nothing wrong with your application or your grades. *shrug*
Although on their website Durham sternly denies it:

“Is it true that Durham will reject me because I am applying to Oxbridge?
No, and it never was true. We consider your application without knowing where else you have applied. Despite some mythology that schools still seem to believe, we really cannot see any detail about your other applications until you have received offers and decided which to take as Firm and Insurance.”

Who knows, ‘tis a mystery.
Reply 393
Original post by Violet_apple
At the risk of sounding conspiracy theorist it seems that some Universities reject people that have applied to Oxbridge. Obviously I cannot prove this but last year I was rejected from Durham, St Andrews and Exeter and yet got an offer from Cambridge and my friend (in a previous year) got an Offer from Cambridge and was rejected from Durham, Edinburgh and Warwick. My other friend got an offer from Oxford but was rejected from everywhere else.

Of course it now sounds like I’m trying to justify my numerous rejections but I have an acquaintance who was a PhD student and was involved at admissions at Cambridge and she said that it was a worrying trend. Before on UCAS the universities could see where else you had applied and the order of priority and certain universities would tend to reject people that didn’t pick them first. This seems to be a continuation of that, but instead they see the date of your application and the strength of it and surmise you applied to Oxbridge and then reject you.

I don’t know, maybe this is paranoia. But the fact that all of these strong candidates get rejected but then get an Oxbridge offer is pretty weird. It’s all political really, if they know that you are likely to go somewhere else or that you are more likely to choose another university then they seem to reject. So there was probably nothing wrong with your application or your grades. *shrug*

No, and it never was true. We consider your application without knowing where else you have applied. Despite some mythology that schools still seem to believe, we really cannot see any detail about your other applications until you have received offers and decided which to take as Firm and Insurance.”

I don't think that's true. A good university wouldn't pass up a good applicant for the (unproven) fear that they've applied to Oxbridge and will get in. If that was the case, then where would Oxbridge rejects go? Oxford and Cambridge can't accommodate every stellar applicant they get, and the other universities know this- many of them have to go to other brilliant universities like Durham.

Although, your case is very strange! I can't possibly understand why Exeter would reject if Cambridge accepts. I guess they're all looking for different things in their students, and that's the safest explanation.
Reply 394
Original post by saachi
Sorry to disturb you by quoting you, but this is really freaky (your username!). I'm an S- Singh (my first name's with S and Singh is my last name) and my year of birth is 1993. And I'm applying for English. :eek: Bit creepy, huh?

That is freaky! You are applying for Edinburgh too aren't you? Even more creepy, I am too! This is too weird!!!!
Reply 395
Original post by SSingh93
That is freaky! You are applying for Edinburgh too aren't you? Even more creepy, I am too! This is too weird!!!!

Yes! I've applied to Edinburgh too. Are you from India as well? If you're from Gurgaon or Delhi then that's beyond creepy! :tongue:
Original post by Expendable
Jumping on the anti-warwick bandwagon! I too just saw an 'unsuccessful' :frown:

I think that we ought to form a club! I'll definitely be supported Sheffield when they play against Warwick on Christmas University Challenge: Sheffield had the grace to give me an offer :P

Original post by saachi
I know, what's wrong with them?! They sent my friend an offer of 40 IB points! (which is insanely difficult to get, I would've thought only Oxbridge/ Imperial/ UCL can afford to ask for that much). Feeling so lucky not to have applied there!

Those entry requirements are awful, although I've heard rumours that offers for students who are studying the IB do tend to be inflated, but even so that seems ridiculous :/ I'm starting to regret putting down both Warwick and Durham, although obviously being rejected by Warwick doesn't necessarily mean that I'll be rejected by Durham as well.

yhh i felt the same. will probs be contacting them to get some reasons

I've contacted the head of my sixth form, because I doubt they'll give me a straight answer :/ Hopefully he'll be able to find out why I've been rejected, although I don't think they'll be honest with him either.

As illogical as this appears to be, I do think that you may be on to something. It certainly seems strange that very strong applicants can receive an offer from Oxbridge yet be rejected by "lesser" universities: something doesn't add up there. I don't buy the idea of Warwick etc looking for different qualities in its applicants, as surely the most important thing for all is aptitude and passion for the subject.

I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I really can't see why I've been rejected. I have 5As at AS, with over 90% UMS in all five subjects, and my predicted grades are A*A*AAA (they probably should be higher, but several teachers refused to predict an A* on the grounds that no one has ever got one in that subject at my school before). My personal statement and reference were both solid. The more I think about it, the more I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had clearly also applied to Oxbridge.
The idea that universities reject people because they might've applied to Oxbridge crops up every year, but it seem extremely unlikely that that's actually the case. Most people who apply to Oxbridge get rejected, so it'd make absolutely no sense for other universities to potentially miss out on a very good student by rejecting you just on the offchance that you get an offer. Universities give out more offers than they have places to allow for some people not firming them. I know it's unpleasant to receive a rejection, but it's probably just down to Warwick being very competitive and them perhaps looking for different things in the personal statement :dontknow:
Reply 398
I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I really can't see why I've been rejected. I have 5As at AS, with over 90% UMS in all five subjects, and my predicted grades are A*A*AAA (they probably should be higher, but several teachers refused to predict an A* on the grounds that no one has ever got one in that subject at my school before). My personal statement and reference were both solid. The more I think about it, the more I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had clearly also applied to Oxbridge.

Where else have you got offers from? I don't think universities are completely rejecting candidates due to them perhaps also applying to Oxbridge, that wouldn't make sense. Lots of good candidates get rejected from Oxbridge, it would be stupid for places such as Warwick and Durham to reject all that they think apply to just those two universities. I really doubt they'd "water down" their (Warwick's) desired calibre of applicants out of fear they might be an insurance choice or not firmed/insuranced at all.

I am tempted to believe in that yes, different universities want different types of applicants. It might even be down to something such as your interests that you stated in your PS don't match what is offered at that particular uni. For example, you raved about American literature in your personal statement, you showed great passion and personality but it's just not something that could be accommodated for in a particular uni (just an example, I have no idea about the Oxbridge modules). They have to differentiate between a lot of similar applicants somehow.

Sorry for grammar, trying to keep an eye on the sausage rolls I'm baking :biggrin:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU oxford + warwick rejections so far, only an offer from exeter :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending