The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyfreear
I got a rejection from Durham, do you think that means St Andrews is a no-go?
Would love to go there, but I've got an offer from York so I'm pretty safe now if I don't get in :smile:

I think it's quite hard to tell. I got rejected by Durham too so hopefully not - I don't think they look for quite the same things in applicants. For instance, Durham's meant to be really keen on GCSEs while St Andrews is meant to be more interested in your personal statement. Don't know how true that is, though.
I applied on the 15th of jan so this is probably of little interest to people but for comparison's sake..

just got an unconditional from King's College and got an interview for warwick on the same day

anyone here got a warwick offer? how did u find the interview questions?
I applied on the 15th of jan so this is probably of little interest to people but for comparison's sake..

just got an unconditional from King's College and got an interview for warwick on the same day

Reply 583
Original post by forsaken_earth

I had a warwick offer 2 years ago. It was the most laid back of my interviews and quite a fun day (lots of activities and talks). There was a short pre-read and then a discussion.
I remember talking about Dorian Gray, a few A level texts and my favourite food.

They may have changed it since then though!
Original post by sundogs
I had a warwick offer 2 years ago. It was the most laid back of my interviews and quite a fun day (lots of activities and talks). There was a short pre-read and then a discussion.
I remember talking about Dorian Gray, a few A level texts and my favourite food.

They may have changed it since then though!

It's now an online one.. they send u eight qs like how do understand the notion of form n u get 48 hrs.

My first choice is ucl, u must be in ur second year? I'm benevolently jealous, u must be doing lots of renaissance stuff now.. how are you finding the course? If you don't mind sharing :smile:
Reply 585
Original post by forsaken_earth
It's now an online one.. they send u eight qs like how do understand the notion of form n u get 48 hrs.

My first choice is ucl, u must be in ur second year? I'm benevolently jealous, u must be doing lots of renaissance stuff now.. how are you finding the course? If you don't mind sharing :smile:

Hi!
That's really interesting how they changed it!
I'm in 2nd year yes :smile: I'm actually no renaissance at all, Shakespeare next year though which is really exciting.
I'm taking Chaucer (compulsory) and then options in Modern Literature II (post 1945), Americans to 1890, and History of the Language Since Chaucer.

it's really good fun, although quite a bit of work (essay deadline tomorrow which is no fun) but we get lots of choice and its very well taught.
How is your UCAS application going?
Original post by sundogs
Hi!
That's really interesting how they changed it!
I'm in 2nd year yes :smile: I'm actually no renaissance at all, Shakespeare next year though which is really exciting.
I'm taking Chaucer (compulsory) and then options in Modern Literature II (post 1945), Americans to 1890, and History of the Language Since Chaucer.

it's really good fun, although quite a bit of work (essay deadline tomorrow which is no fun) but we get lots of choice and its very well taught.
How is your UCAS application going?

Yeah I've got quite a few friends who've graduated/are doing that course now and really it would be a dream. Aaand I don't wanna leave London either. Do you think you might do an MA afterwards or got job things you wanna be doing?

It's going okay, I applied on the 15th of Jan so only just heard back last week from king's (unc.) and well the warwick thing which i think i screwed up a little (soo many typos) but the content should pull me through. I really have to stop relying on certain things in the favour of others, but hey.
Reply 587
I've got rejected by Edinburgh, but got offers from Leicester and Aberdeen. Now only waiting for a response from York. :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by muse_of_fire

I don't wish to sound arrogant, but I really can't see why I've been rejected. I have 5As at AS, with over 90% UMS in all five subjects, and my predicted grades are A*A*AAA (they probably should be higher, but several teachers refused to predict an A* on the grounds that no one has ever got one in that subject at my school before). My personal statement and reference were both solid. The more I think about it, the more I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had clearly also applied to Oxbridge.

I also applied to Oxford yet was invited to interview at Warwick with only 3A*'s 3A's and 3B's at GCSE and AABB at AS level. Clearly Warwick saw something in me Oxford didn't as I got a straight rejection from Oxford and an interview at Warwick. Therefore I don't see how this theory can be so... it must just boil down to Warwick valuing the personal statement more, at the interview all of the questions were related to my personal statement which definitely made it seem like it was something they scrutinised very closely.
Reply 589
Original post by Domi.
Congrats. :wink: I'm still waiting for the reply from Aberdeen, but I guess I would never choose it over Glasgow. However, I'd love to hear from Edinburgh soon! Where else, apart from Aberdeen, are you applying to?

Thank you! In addition to Aberdeen I've applied to Edinburgh (rejection), St Andrews (rejection), Stirling and Napier.

Haven't heard from Stirling or Napier yet, which is very frustrating as Stirling is my first choice!
Anyone else from here go to the English offer holders day at Exeter today?
I was rejected due to the course being 'oversubscribed', and yet there are places in Extra. Can anyone explain this to me?
Reply 592
Original post by StefanieLouise
I was rejected due to the course being 'oversubscribed', and yet there are places in Extra. Can anyone explain this to me?

Ring them up and ask? There's either an error, or they forgot to withdraw from Extra, or they were being tactful.
Finally got my offer from Birmingham, s happy!
Still waiting on Leeds for English Lang & Lit :frown: I think at this point I'm likely to be rejected!
Reply 595
Finally got an offer from York! But now I'm at a loss... I don't know which one to choose, Glasgow or York!
Still. Waiting. For. Warwick. :frown:
Reply 597
Original post by Obsidian
Still. Waiting. For. Warwick. :frown:

Leeds.
Original post by Muffinz
Leeds.

Leeds rejected me in 2 weeks, take not hearing as good news :biggrin:
Reply 599
Original post by starxriddled
Leeds rejected me in 2 weeks, take not hearing as good news :biggrin:

Oh no I'm not an applicant :P I meant to say that since Obsidean already has an offer from Leeds, who cares about Warwick? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending