The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm wondering what hall has the best JCR.

At HB its different to at least Wills. At wills the new jcr are elected at the end of the year and then spend a second year living at wills.

At HB the old jcr does freshers week as their last final party. They did a really good job this year i think, it was good having a load of second years to show us around bristol. The elections for the new JCR are in novembers, so the years overlap by a month.

We also diddn't have a christmas ball, we had a formal meal one night, and a party the other. But i got to go to both formal meals because people diddn't seem to want to go to the second one.

Two christmas meals in 48 hours... i was full..
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I went for durdham because of the ensuite and because it was like one of the cheapest halls (none of them come cheap in Bristol) at 73 quid with ensuite. Think u can get manor for about 60-70 i think? but thats no ensuite, and we have newer facilities. I dont think people can moan bout any acomodation here, it's very good standard compared to most uni accomodation...hard pressed to beat it! I think Hiatt baker is supposed to be the most social, but that is cus they live with around 20 ppl to a corridor so theres always people there.
I think Manor and Durdham are the same price, because Durdham has the ensuite but Manor is in Clifton. The only cheaper SC hall is UH.
Reply 23
Does self-catered accommodation have the same atmosphere as catered? I was looking at self-catering if I went to Bristol but was worried there wouldn't be as strong a community feel?
Reply 24
mel0112
Does self-catered accommodation have the same atmosphere as catered? I was looking at self-catering if I went to Bristol but was worried there wouldn't be as strong a community feel?

I don't think many, if any, have tried both. So its hard to comment.

They must have a different atmosphere, i've never entered a self-catered hall. So i wouldn't know.

Some people say you get to know alot more people in catered.
Zakatu
I don't think many, if any, have tried both. So its hard to comment.

They must have a different atmosphere, i've never entered a self-catered hall. So i wouldn't know.

Some people say you get to know alot more people in catered.

I don't think there's any difference. You'll end up having the same amount of friends wherever you go. Ok so you'll be eating dinner with a lot more people in a catered hall, but after the first few weeks you'll end up eating with the same people most nights anyway. And half my friends aren't even in my hall, so I don't think it really matters. Don't choose catered over self-catered because you think it will be more sociable, because it makes no difference and you'll end up paying through the nose for school dinners. Choose whichever fits in better with your lifestyle.
Reply 26
mel0112

I have no doubt whatsoever that there's equal if not more community feel in self-catered accomm. Especially with the cooking of meals inbetween 6 ish ppl brings you together and creates a strong community feel.
What Katie says is true, i mean, unless you're Steveee you're gonna be eating with mostly the same ppl everyday at a catered. :p:
Accommodation at the end of the day is entirely what you make of it, the whole different community feels of catered vs. self-catered really is a myth if you ask me.

Edit: Didn't mean to stick up for self catered there so much, but they do get a negative rep for seeming unsociable halls, not true really.

The source of a good sociable hall is usually it's bar, so following that argument... come to Badock :biggrin:
Reply 27
To be honest, I had the same worries as you - I thought catered would be more sociable, but in the end I chose to go for self catered because I'm too much of a fussy eater to go catered and I wanted my Durdham en-suite!
I love being in self-catered. As Steve said, cooking with 6 other people brings you together quickly. Its nice to cook for each others and you can cook for your friends in other halls too. Self catered is just as sociable if you put the effort in...the block I'm in are all quite close, in that we go out together quite a lot and I will quite happily just go over to other flats anytime to see people, there's always someone in that you can chat too.
Go for self-catered; cooking is fun and the people are lovely :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending