The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smileygirl345
I called the medical office just to confirm and they DO NOT allow any A2 module resits so, if you did it in Jan you can't retake it in June. I asked how they would know if you did and they said they weren't really sure, however, the expect you to tell them if you have retaken any A2 modules (doctors are ment to be honest) as it violates their policy. They then said that if you didn't tell them and resat and they found out at a later date they could chuck you off the course as you didn't meet their entry requirements - scary stuff!

Thank you :smile: So you're allowed to resit AS January exams in June of your AS year?
Original post by smileygirl345
I called the medical office just to confirm and they DO NOT allow any A2 module resits so, if you did it in Jan you can't retake it in June. I asked how they would know if you did and they said they weren't really sure, however, the expect you to tell them if you have retaken any A2 modules (doctors are ment to be honest) as it violates their policy. They then said that if you didn't tell them and resat and they found out at a later date they could chuck you off the course as you didn't meet their entry requirements - scary stuff!

Original post by Hippokrates
Thank you :smile: So you're allowed to resit AS January exams in June of your AS year?

I've just come across this randomly and wanted to say that yes, universities will know if you have resat A2 modules because they will get all of your January and June results through from UCAS on A level results day in August. They will then compare that data with the information you provided on your UCAS form. If there are incomplete matches (eg: you resat something and didn't let them know so they have two exam entry results for you) then they are free to reject you on the basis that you with held information from them and therefore they gave you an offer with incomplete information about your applicant profile. You need to include every single exam you plan to sit on your UCAS form which includes resits. If you then add or remove exams at a later date you again need to let UCAS and your universities know about it. This means that if you are planning to resit A2 exams from January in the June session then you must let them know in advance. If their policy is not to allow resits then they will cancel your offer at that stage (I would assume) and if you fail to let them know you are resitting then they will find out in August anyway so can deal with you then.
Reply 1122
022]I've just come across this randomly and wanted to say that yes, universities will know if you have resat A2 modules because they will get all of your January and June results through from UCAS on A level results day in August. They will then compare that data with the information you provided on your UCAS form. If there are incomplete matches (eg: you resat something and didn't let them know so they have two exam entry results for you) then they are free to reject you on the basis that you with held information from them and therefore they gave you an offer with incomplete information about your applicant profile. You need to include every single exam you plan to sit on your UCAS form which includes resits. If you then add or remove exams at a later date you again need to let UCAS and your universities know about it. This means that if you are planning to resit A2 exams from January in the June session then you must let them know in advance. If their policy is not to allow resits then they will cancel your offer at that stage (I would assume) and if you fail to let them know you are resitting then they will find out in August anyway so can deal with you then.

I also phoned admissions on this yesterday and they said that if you did do a retake in June of an A2 paper they would not automatically reject you. They would look at the marks and accept you if you would have got an A without the retake. They accept that some people might want to do a retake, for example, if they want to try to get an A*. I also asked if they made the stipulation of no A2 retakes clear when they made an offer, but they said they would expect you to know as it is clear in their website etc. I don't think it is that clear as you have to look quite hard to find it and I can imagine this could mean occasional severe disappointment for someone who gets 3 As and thinks they have got a place but didnot know about the retakes policy. Perhaps they make it clear at interview?
Original post by lindag

I also phoned admissions on this yesterday and they said that if you did do a retake in June of an A2 paper they would not automatically reject you. They would look at the marks and accept you if you would have got an A without the retake. They accept that some people might want to do a retake, for example, if they want to try to get an A*. I also asked if they made the stipulation of no A2 retakes clear when they made an offer, but they said they would expect you to know as it is clear in their website etc. I don't think it is that clear as you have to look quite hard to find it and I can imagine this could mean occasional severe disappointment for someone who gets 3 As and thinks they have got a place but didnot know about the retakes policy. Perhaps they make it clear at interview?

Thanks a lot for this- just wish I'd known earlier that they'd accept you if you retook Jan A2 modules in June if you'd have got an A anyway (eg. if you were trying for A*)! because I agree with you - it's not 100% clear on the website and they didn't mention anything about it at interview!
hi everyone!

i'm thinking of applying to nottingham next year
just like to ask some questions.

i read somewhere online about nottingham requiring you to do the minimum amount of work experience
what is the minimum amount of work experience?

also what is the difference between these two questions:

I was interviewed at Nottingham last vear, but was unsuccessful. Can I reapply?
Once you have been interviewed, you are not considered for the undergraduate course again.

I was interviewed at Nottingham last vear but wasn't offered an interview. Can I reapply?
Yes, we will consider a further application. We wil! treat the new appiication as if it was the first.

thank you :smile:
Reply 1125
Original post by nicecookie
hi everyone!

i'm thinking of applying to nottingham next year
just like to ask some questions.

i read somewhere online about nottingham requiring you to do the minimum amount of work experience
what is the minimum amount of work experience?

also what is the difference between these two questions:

I was interviewed at Nottingham last vear, but was unsuccessful. Can I reapply?
Once you have been interviewed, you are not considered for the undergraduate course again.

I was interviewed at Nottingham last vear but wasn't offered an interview. Can I reapply?
Yes, we will consider a further application. We wil! treat the new appiication as if it was the first.

thank you :smile:

I don't think I've heard of any minimum requirements for work experience. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Those two questions; basically it's saying that if you've already applied to Nottingham for medicine in the past and you were interviewed but then rejected, then you won't be considered again if you reapply to Notts. If you applied in the past but you were rejected without an interview, then you can reapply and they will consider your application equally.
So, I got rejected from Nottingham for medicine, and then last week I got an email to say they'd changed their mind, and have since made me an offer! :smile: I was wondering if anyone else was in this boat, as obviously I haven't had any information on what else to do now I have an offer??
Original post by modini
I don't think I've heard of any minimum requirements for work experience. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Those two questions; basically it's saying that if you've already applied to Nottingham for medicine in the past and you were interviewed but then rejected, then you won't be considered again if you reapply to Notts. If you applied in the past but you were rejected without an interview, then you can reapply and they will consider your application equally.

oh okay, thank you.
i understand you have to complete a questionaire for nottingham.
do you know how many weeks of work experience you need to enter?
Reply 1128
oh okay, thank you.
i understand you have to complete a questionaire for nottingham.
do you know how many weeks of work experience you need to enter?

Well in the questionnaire they ask you for contact details of your work experiences/voluntary work (up to 4 different ones). I put 2 down; 1 for a week's shadowing in a maxfax department of a hospital and another for some voluntary work (around 7 months) that I had done. I'm not sure they stipulate an absolute length of time for work experience.

Original post by warriorkez13
So, I got rejected from Nottingham for medicine, and then last week I got an email to say they'd changed their mind, and have since made me an offer! :smile: I was wondering if anyone else was in this boat, as obviously I haven't had any information on what else to do now I have an offer??

Wow, that's incredible, congratulations! Have you firmed it yet? Or did you have offers from other med schools?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by modini
Wow, that's incredible, congratulations! Have you firmed it yet? Or did you have offers from other med schools?

Yeah I firmed it straightaway. I had 4 rejections, so it was hard to believe it was true!
Original post by modini
Well in the questionnaire they ask you for contact details of your work experiences/voluntary work (up to 4 different ones). I put 2 down; 1 for a week's shadowing in a maxfax department of a hospital and another for some voluntary work (around 7 months) that I had done. I'm not sure they stipulate an absolute length of time for work experience.

thank you :biggrin:
do you know what nottingham is looking for in a medicine applicant?
Reply 1131
Original post by warriorkez13
Yeah I firmed it straightaway. I had 4 rejections, so it was hard to believe it was true!

Awesome! You must have been so happy. I mean I was happy when I got an offer, but to have 4 rejections then have one of them become an offer must have felt so good.

thank you :biggrin:
do you know what nottingham is looking for in a medicine applicant?

No problem :smile:. Tbh I think all medical schools look for similar things in applicants; a desire to help people, an interest in science and the human body, a realistic perception of medicine as a career (long hours, relatively low pay to begin with, dealing with morbidity and mortality, etc.), a wide range of interests outside of medicine/science, etc.
Original post by modini
Awesome! You must have been so happy. I mean I was happy when I got an offer, but to have 4 rejections then have one of them become an offer must have felt so good.

No problem :smile:. Tbh I think all medical schools look for similar things in applicants; a desire to help people, an interest in science and the human body, a realistic perception of medicine as a career (long hours, relatively low pay to begin with, dealing with morbidity and mortality, etc.), a wide range of interests outside of medicine/science, etc.

oh okay, how was the interview process? :smile:
Reply 1133
oh okay, how was the interview process? :smile:

Pretty standard. They give you a tour of the med school in the morning/early afternoon before you have your interview which is a standard question and answer interview that lasts about 15 minutes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by modini
Pretty standard. They give you a tour of the med school in the morning/early afternoon before you have your interview which is a standard question and answer interview that lasts about 15 minutes.

thank you so much for your help :smile:
will be visiting the open day in nottingham during summer to find out more info
Reply 1135
How do you apply for accommodation? Do they send you information in the offer letter? I have no idea, any help?? :smile:
Reply 1136
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham in October, and I was wondering what their AS requirements look like? There's not much indication of their website, but i'm guessing A's in bio and chem are essential. Idk what to expect with my fourth AS level though so was wondering would they reject you if you got anything below a B in an AS level? Thanks :smile:
Original post by br2pi5
How do you apply for accommodation? Do they send you information in the offer letter? I have no idea, any help?? :smile:

It's all done online :biggrin: Here's a link to the accommodation section and just browse and choose your preferred choice.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/undergraduates/howtoapply.aspx

Which campus are you thinking of choosing? :smile:
Reply 1138
Original post by Watermelon:)
It's all done online :biggrin: Here's a link to the accommodation section and just browse and choose your preferred choice.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/undergraduates/howtoapply.aspx

Which campus are you thinking of choosing? :smile:

I'm not sure... I'm thinking of Hugh Stewart Hall or Cripps Hall because they're close to the medical school :P and I'm too lazy to walk or ride a bike :colondollar:
But I have to do some research first to take a look at the prices, rooms, food etc
I'm thinking catered as well. Ahhh sooo many options haha

Did you apply already for accommodation? Any recommendations?
Original post by br2pi5
I'm not sure... I'm thinking of Hugh Stewart Hall or Cripps Hall because they're close to the medical school :P and I'm too lazy to walk or ride a bike :colondollar:
But I have to do some research first to take a look at the prices, rooms, food etc
I'm thinking catered as well. Ahhh sooo many options haha

Did you apply already for accommodation? Any recommendations?

I went for Jubilee campus and catered and got Newark hall (my first choice :biggrin:). Also went for ensuite....even though the tiny bathroom eats into half of my room :colondollar: Haha, I chose Jubilee because it was pretty close to the med school :tongue: and there are loads of people in Newark so it should be pretty sociable :smile:
It's crazy that it feels like just yesterday I sent my UCAS form off!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending