The Student Room Group

Bring back flogging for hooligans.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Billinghaylad1976
The rioters are hooligans. They aren't going to listen to reason. Sentence them to 20 strokes of the cane. Each stinging thwack will remind them to obey the law in future.

Im sure the ECHR or whatever its called will allow the UK to pass this law.
Original post by visa
Vlad III had the right idea, impale them on large poles and have them paraded through the streets to set an example

He was a ****ing hero.

:adore:

They should cut benefits and use the money saved to increase the number of police officers; high numbers of these people are very difficult to control, so cut the benefits and starve them out. When they, eh protest(riot) crack down with ruthless ferocity.
Original post by All Black Everything
Physical violence will only encourage more resentment. Many people already resent police brutality. Flogging people in public in front of so many others will only lead to more anger.

Well they need to learn so show some respect then. Otherwise I'm all for public flogging.
Im sure the ECHR or whatever its called will allow the UK to pass this law.

So? What will they do? File a lawsuit? Invade with their team of human-rights lawyers? Pfft, nations shouldn't bow down to these self-serving *******s.
Original post by PendulumBoB
So? What will they do? File a lawsuit? Invade with their team of human-rights lawyers? Pfft, nations shouldn't bow down to these self-serving *******s.

No they will simply prevent the UK from passing the law.
Original post by TheJ0ker
After leaving school all boys should be forced to enrol in the army for a year or two, like it is in some countries, this would instill some real discipline and morals.

Hardly. It'd just mean that criminals would be more skillful and dangerous.
The ECHR is ruining this country. Well if you're going to mention the ECHR how about Article 5 - Liberty and Security? The people who live and work in the affected areas have the right to liberty and security in the area without the threat of rioters ruining their homes and businnesses.
It works both ways!
No they will simply prevent the UK from passing the law.

How?

The police enforce the law, the police take orders from the government and their local Commissioner, not these guys.
Original post by TheJ0ker
After leaving school all boys should be forced to enrol in the army for a year or two, like it is in some countries, this would instill some real discipline and morals.

Which morals?
How?

The police enforce the law, the police take orders from the government and their local Commissioner, not these guys.

The 1998 HRA means that the Govt has to act in accordance with the ECHR. Where in the ECHR does it say that physical punishment is allowed?
Original post by Billinghaylad1976
The ECHR is ruining this country. Well if you're going to mention the ECHR how about Article 5 - Liberty and Security? The people who live and work in the affected areas have the right to liberty and security in the area without the threat of rioters ruining their homes and businnesses.
It works both ways!

Yes but that doesn't then give you the right to flog people does it
We should withdraw from the ECHR.
Reply 32
Original post by im so academic
They need to be punished.

By what means? :rolleyes:
Well they need to learn so show some respect then. Otherwise I'm all for public flogging.

You can be all for it by it still remains very unlikely that it will ever be introduced.
The 1998 HRA means that the Govt has to act in accordance with the ECHR. Where in the ECHR does it say that physical punishment is allowed?

You don't seem to understand; how can an organisation such as the ECHR enforce their will? Where was the ECHR, when the Bosniaks were being slaughtered by the Serbs? What did they do issue a court summons?:rolleyes:

The ECHR cannot enforce it's will.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
But they shouldn't be able to walk away with goods scot free. They need to be punished.

A bit of the obvious no? Crap but nevertheless the most decent post I have seen by you since I came on TSR.

Yeah, fining from people who steal 30p bags of Tesco Value rice. :rolleyes:

So? These riots are evidence that these bastards are out of control. Maybe physical discipline is the way forward.

You are supposidly a 14 year old girl.

What do you really know about Criminal Justice?

What do you know about Policing and Law enforcement? :colonhash:

Leave it to the wasters at COBRA and in the cabinet to sort out and at least half knowledgable people like us to discuss.
I would imagine you were being sarcastic.

I do think that we should tear this silly piece of legislation to pieces, it really is incredably pointless. It does not work where it is really needed(such as Serbia a few years ago), because anyone who has the lack of morals to ethnically cleanse etc, probably has the lack of morals to disobey a piece of paper before ignoring the court summons. It does two things, ones, makes money for HR lawyers and two, allows people who hate the government to file law suits(such as votes for prisoners). I highly doubt that if it were to be removed we see the Queen officially opening the UKs first gulag.:rolleyes:
You don't seem to understand; how can an organisation such as the ECHR enforce their will? Where was the ECHR, when the Bosniaks were being slaughtered by the Serbs? What did they do issue a court summons?:rolleyes:

The ECHR cannot enforce it's will.

I dont think you understand how the constition works regarind Human rights law. Under the 1998 Human Rights Act that labour passed it stated that UK Human Rights Law should be in accordance with the European Convention on Human Rights. The European Convention on Human Rights does not advocate physical punishment etc. So how on Earth would the UK be able to pass a law introducing physical punishment without them coming into conflict with Euopean Court on Human Rights?
Tackling violence with violence just brings us down to their level. How can the police be taken seriously when they preach against violence but react with the same? As far as I am concerned all violence should be condemed (except in cases of self defense) and the state should NEVER have the power to use violence as a means of control.
Reply 39
No, prison should be a very horrible place to be.
Criminals should only get bread and water (very occasionaly given other food to balance their diet and all that).
And convicted criminals should spend VERY long in prison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending