The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingcoltzan
The IB advantage should be there on ALL systems. A-Level people (no offense, I wish I did A-Levels) have NO idea, just how hard and much work IB is, and thus I think it's only fair it gets rewarded. As far as I can see this is the only area of the application where IB is given an advantage. A-Level offers are generally easier, and IB don't give any other advantage.

This post is going to be negged I'm sure, but it is the truth. Fact. IB (on average) is harder than A-Level.

I'm also doing the IB program and I have to admit that it really is torturing me apart. Even though I don't know so much about the A-levels because I live in Italy, but I can say that the Italian matura is a whole lot easier in my opinion compared to the IB.
Reply 1981
Original post by Surge1991
I'm also doing the IB program and I have to admit that it really is torturing me apart. Even though I don't know so much about the A-levels because I live in Italy, but I can say that the Italian matura is a whole lot easier in my opinion compared to the IB.

Hmm...I might sound dumb, but I have never heard of IB:confused::colondollar::redface:
Original post by kowaara
Hmm...I might sound dumb, but I have never heard of IB:confused::colondollar::redface:

It's not that well known :smile: Don't worry :wink:
Does anyone know when BL makes decisions for offers/rejections? Is it when you leave the interview room or later that day/week?
Original post by kowaara

It's some quasi-pseudo-qualification whose adherents think it's difficult because you cover more subjects in less detail. Kind of like GCSEs, but far more quasi.
Original post by Iepnauy
Is it easy for Barts students to do an intercalated degree? :smile:.

Relatively easy, yes :smile:

I'm not sure on the specifics so hopefully an older year on here can answer about intercalating elsewhere.
What I know is that you can apply to do it after 2nd, 3rd or 4th years at QM and there are a range of degrees so you can earn an iBsc.
This is only available to undergraduates on the 5 year course, rumour has it that BL are going to try and introduce intercalated masters for graduates with a Bsc on the course. But that's not confirmed as of yet.
To get on the iBsc you must pass an interview and have a decent track record with grades :smile:

Should be detail on the website tbh
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

I'm not sure on the specifics so hopefully an older year on here can answer about intercalating elsewhere.
What I know is that you can apply to do it after 2nd, 3rd or 4th years at QM and there are a range of degrees so you can earn an iBsc.
This is only available to undergraduates on the 5 year course, rumour has it that BL are going to try and introduce intercalated masters for graduates with a Bsc on the course. But that's not confirmed as of yet.
To get on the iBsc you must pass an interview and have a decent track record with grades :smile:

Hi; when do offers/post-interview rejections start coming?

That rumour's been knocking around for a while now, but I've not seen any actual evidence for it yet, they really ought to clarify. When they introduce an iPhD I'll be interested :wink: :biggrin:
Original post by Democracy
That rumour's been knocking around for a while now, but I've not seen any actual evidence for it yet, they really ought to clarify. When they introduce an iPhD I'll be interested :wink: :biggrin:

We had a lecture involving research into it. We had a survey of our entire lecture theatre (and they mentioned they were doing other years too) about the prospect of iMsc, whether there would be demand and what would they want to do it in.

It would follow a similar layout of an iBsc but you wouldn't have a summer. It's not for those with a Bsc though, it would be available to everyone, iirc they even went the other way and said it would be mostly for undergrads.

I think Leicester do iPhd btw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1989
Original post by MrsNorthman
Me too! What group? I'm in F.

I'm in group F for interview on the 13th December!
Reply 1990

I probably could've dug further but I just saw on the website that the intercalated is based on academic performance. So I was just curious whether you had to be the top of your year or something :tongue:. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Notethis
Hi; when do offers/post-interview rejections start coming?

March time if it's the same as last year... quite a while to wait :tongue:
Original post by Iepnauy
I probably could've dug further but I just saw on the website that the intercalated is based on academic performance. So I was just curious whether you had to be the top of your year or something :tongue:. Thanks :smile:

Haha no, they don't just let one or two do it :tongue:
iirc it's 40 places for after year 2, 20 for after year 3 and 40 again after year 4 :smile:

I would imagine interviews would be more important factor imo :dontknow:
Haha no, they don't just let one or two do it :tongue:
iirc it's 40 places for after year 2, 20 for after year 3 and 40 again after year 4 :smile:

I would imagine interviews would be more important factor imo :dontknow:

It's 150 over the three entry points, 55, 60, 35 each year.

(I'm actually doing interview prep!)
Original post by RollerBall
We had a lecture involving research into it. We had a survey of our entire lecture theatre (and they mentioned they were doing other years too) about the prospect of iMsc, whether there would be demand and what would they want to do it in.

It would follow a similar layout of an iBsc but you wouldn't have a summer. It's not for those with a Bsc though, it would be available to everyone, iirc they even went the other way and said it would be mostly for undergrads.

I think Leicester do iPhd btw.

Ahh thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, most MScs in the SMD are 12 months long...no Summer holiday for me anyway :p:

Is it the same as the MB/PhD at RFUCMS? Or is it actually shortened? Not that it really matters since I didn't apply to Leicester anyway, they have a nutty work experience requirement.
Original post by Normandy114
It's 150 over the three entry points, 55, 60, 35 each year.

(I'm actually doing interview prep!)

How's the prep going?
Original post by ViceVersa
How's the prep going?

I'm not sure how much you're allowed to tell me, but would you describe the interview as "normal"? No science based (or just generally weird) questions?

Try and be as non descript as possible, don't want to get shot down by the mods....
(edited 12 years ago)
How's the prep going?

Well if I'm completely honest, the preparation is going fine but I think I might need to reschedule the interview.
Reply 1997
Well. I've prepared as much as I can do :smile:. Travelling up to London tomorrow! I'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Any last minute interview tips? ^_^
Original post by SaintSoldier
I'm not sure how much you're allowed to tell me, but would you describe the interview as "normal"? No science based (or just generally weird) questions?

Try and be as non descript as possible, don't want to get shot down by the mods....

It was a normal stress interview I would say :sadnod:
Original post by Normandy114
Well if I'm completely honest, the preparation is going fine but I think I might need to reschedule the interview.

Why? If you reschedule they might give you an interview in Feb :eek: two weeks is enough to prep don't chicken out :smile: :tongue:
Why? If you reschedule they might give you an interview in Feb :eek: two weeks is enough to prep don't chicken out :smile: :tongue:

I know it's plenty of time, but if you were in my position you would want to postpone it a bit too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending