The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

S10 Gym

I've heard that the S10 gym is very good, but it also seems quite expensive, even with a student membership. I currently go to the gym 3 times a week for about 60-90 minutes a time, and would like to continue going when I move to Sheffield in September. £308 for a peak-time annual membership seems a bit steep though. I'm considering the off-peak membership which is £160, but it depends on my timetable.

Is the S10 gym membership worth it?
The gym is very well equipped, they're one of the 2 gyms i've ever been to that actually have all the barbell equipment you really need (if you're into weightlifting), outside of that there's lots of treadmills, bikes and other fitness machines as well. There's also regular spinning classes too if you're interested!

As excellent as the gym is, if you're living in Endcliffe village, it can be a bit meh to get to, it's not along any bus routes so you can't just be lazy and grab one, but it's a 10-15 minute walk and you have to go up the massive hill just outside of Endcliffe. Besides my horrible schedule (all mornings) and other commitments, it was one of my main reasons I lost motivation to go.

That said, it isn't too hard to get to S10 from the uni campus and i'd advise to go straight after lectures whenever possible to avoid the walk up to the gym, however it can get pretty busy around 12 and onwards generally. I'd say the off-peak is definitely the better investment over the on-peak though just because of cheapness and if you plan it around your lectures well, you shouldn't become too demotivated and you'll at least go at sensible times.
(edited 12 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
The gym is very well equipped, they're one of the 2 gyms i've ever been to that actually have all the barbell equipment you really need (if you're into weightlifting), outside of that there's lots of treadmills, bikes and other fitness machines as well. There's also regular spinning classes too if you're interested!

As excellent as the gym is, if you're living in Endcliffe village, it can be a bit meh to get to, it's not along any bus routes so you can't just be lazy and grab one, but it's a 10-15 minute walk and you have to go up the massive hill just outside of Endcliffe. Besides my horrible schedule (all mornings) and other commitments, it was one of my main reasons I lost motivation to go.

That said, it isn't too hard to get to S10 from the uni campus and i'd advise to go straight after lectures whenever possible to avoid the walk up to the gym, however it can get pretty busy around 12 and onwards generally. I'd say the off-peak is definitely the better investment over the on-peak though just because of cheapness and if you plan it around your lectures well, you shouldn't become too demotivated and you'll at least go at sensible times.

Thanks for the help :smile: I'll be living in the centre, just around the corner from West Street. I haven't actually looked into how far away it is yet ^^;
Reply 3
It's worth gettin the membership, I got off peak last year and thanks to my sparse timetable I found the time to go 3 times a week (basically the 3 days I wasn't hung over haha). Should be better this year as the swimming pool might actually be open and they are doin a massive refurb over xmas.
Reply 4
Original post by Wahaaaay
It's worth gettin the membership, I got off peak last year and thanks to my sparse timetable I found the time to go 3 times a week (basically the 3 days I wasn't hung over haha). Should be better this year as the swimming pool might actually be open and they are doin a massive refurb over xmas.

Great, thanks :smile:
Original post by Rac92
Thanks for the help :smile: I'll be living in the centre, just around the corner from West Street. I haven't actually looked into how far away it is yet ^^;

If you're living near West Street the gym in Opal 2 would be a lot closer than S10. I'm not sure how the prices or the facilities compare though! Here's the link http://momentumleisure.co.uk/sheffield-leisure-club/
Reply 6
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
If you're living near West Street the gym in Opal 2 would be a lot closer than S10. I'm not sure how the prices or the facilities compare though! Here's the link http://momentumleisure.co.uk/sheffield-leisure-club/

Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it!
Can someone tell me what the membership actually includes? I can't really work it out!
Reply 8
i had off peak in my first and second years. it was well worth it! :smile:
Original post by jesslbarnes
i had off peak in my first and second years. it was well worth it! :smile:

Do they automatically renew your membership or do you have to pop in and renew it manually?

Plus I got mine originally on the early bird deal so I don't know if that makes a difference...
Reply 10
Anyone know if the changing rooms and showers are decent?
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
Do they automatically renew your membership or do you have to pop in and renew it manually?

Plus I got mine originally on the early bird deal so I don't know if that makes a difference...

i had to renew it but then i won membership in second year so didnt have to pay.
Where do I need to go to find out about membership and can you pay it in installments? :smile: x
I'm sure there is an early bird membership in the gym isn't there? Either way I'm going to join.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending