The Student Room Group

The worst books you've ever read

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CODKING
The New Testament is really crud compared to The Old Testament. The latter is really cool with lots of fighting and Raiders of The Lost Ark type stuff. The former looks like it was written by the Liberal Democrats.

:rofl:
The thing is, you're quite true... :ninja;
Reply 181
Original post by Pandora.
The thing is, you're quite true... :ninja;

...and I thought I was going to be slaughtered for my honest opinion! Thanks.

What do you think I should read next? I recommend the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant but make sure you read them in the right order (there’s nine of them!).
Original post by Energy_Purple
So, we've had thread after thread talking about the best books ever, or the books that all of you would happily recommend to the next book lover. As we all know, with every positive, there has to be a negative!

So, what would you say is possibly the worst book you have ever read?

I'll start off. My cousin forced me to read Twilight. Worst experience of my life. I like vampires. I like love stories. But that? That made my eyes bleed.

Original post by spammoclocks
Twilight

Guys, you've got it wrong. The worst book ever is Breaking Dawn.

Original post by anttooking
1983, it's follow up was much better.

Original post by diamonddust
Guys, you've got it wrong. The worst book ever is Breaking Dawn.

Yes, I won't even try reading that one. Be wary, though, Twlight fangirls are watching...
(edited 12 years ago)
The Bible. So many plot holes and the characters are unrelatble. I suggest the author reads 'Harry Potter' to get a better idea of how to write about magic. 2/5.
Original post by (:Becca(:
The language is too flowery and descriptive and it takes ****ing forever to get to the point.

Too descriptive? What? ****ing hell.
The worlds wife

a collection of feminist ****e
Original post by Xhotas
The Great Gatsby. I swear, everytime we had to study that book at AS I felt like a part of me was dying. I had to watch the film before I had any idea what the **** was going on. :l Even then I fell asleep during the film. It was such a slow and boring plot, though I thought if it was written in first person from Gatsby, it would have been a much more entertaining read.

How I loathed English Literature A Level.

You have to be joking. Nick's narration is one of the best things about it.
Too many people in this thread clearly need to read The Great Gatsby again.
Original post by Lewroll

Original post by Lewroll
I told one of my teachers I was going to read the Da vinci Code and then he went into a 10minute rant about how awful it is and he told me not to read it lol I don't actually know if its any good or not :tongue:

You really should read it! It's an amazing book and I also recommend reading Angels and Demons which is also by Dan Brown that's another really good read!
P.S I love you.
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha!

- most irritating book I have ever had to read! XD

xxx
Original post by Domeface
When I first read Twilight I didn't think it was that bad, until I remembered how every single character was a Mary Sue... but besides that, 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown is unspeakably dire.

EDIT: oh, I almost forgot about this. Not sure if it counts as a 'book', but I'd be willing to bet that My Immortal is among the worst pieces of literature on Earth. Tragically the rehost site appears to be down, but if you can find it elsewhere it's an utterly hilarious read.

the moment you said Mary Sue I immediately thought you read ff :P I continued to read and this idea was confirmed. There used to be a version of my immortal on youtube were this guy read out the story and there were pictures :P
Reply 193
Little Women. Can't really remember it as it was ages ago but I remember I hated it.
Reply 194
The War of the Worlds is so disappointing. It's just not as interesting as the title suggests. They seem to skip over that fact whenever they make a film of it.

I prefer the Time Traveller.
Reply 195
Frankenstein. The plot and whole general idea was awesome but i just HATED her style!
i was bored of by the second by the second page of Lord of the rings so I never bothered reading the rest.
100 Years of Solitude.

It's crude, makes no damn sense, all the characters have the same name, and combines 19th-century South America with real flying carpets at one point. It's dross at its most obnoxious and awkward.
Original post by .Scout.
I can't believe that so many people are saying The Great Gatsby...it's amazing!

I know! In my opinion, one of the best novels ever written, it is meticulously crafted, the words flow so beautifully... The entire book is just so quotable... I loathed having to study it for A-Level Literature but I can't fault the book or Fitzgerald. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I did think Wuthering Heights, but then I read Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four, which I recall as being equally as boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending