The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy 2012 Hopefuls

Hello, I am hoping to study OT at Uni next year. Currently working on my PS, getting work experience and preparing to start my Access Course this September... So quite a busy and exciting time :-) Just wondering whether anyones in the same situation as it would be good to chat! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Yes I am in a similar position.
Though I am trying to see if I can get in this year- though i'm not too hopeful!
What access course are you doing? if i don't get in this year i think i will need to do an access course before applying next time.
Do you have any universities in mind that you are going to apply for next year?
Carly
Reply 2
Original post by L-2011
Hello, I am hoping to study OT at Uni next year. Currently working on my PS, getting work experience and preparing to start my Access Course this September... So quite a busy and exciting time :-) Just wondering whether anyones in the same situation as it would be good to chat! x

Hi

I'm about to start my 2nd year of a part time access and can't wait to get going again!

I'm hoping to study occupational therapy at Coventry. It's my only choice really due to family (i'm 37!!!)
I start my access course in 2 weeks, can't wait. Any one else doing an access course in NI?
Reply 4
I'm hoping to be studying OT next September, and will be starting my 2 week pre-Access course in a fortnight and (if I pass) my Access to Health Studies course a few days after.. so excited, yet nervous! :smile: My access course is part time in the evening as I also work full time so it's going to be a bit of a juggle.. I'm also hoping to do a few work experience/shadowing days in various OT settings before UCAS is due in!

I've looked into uni options already, I'm hoping to study in either Cardiff, UWE (Bristol) or Coventry. Though Cardiff would be ideal for me as I know someone who's going to be starting her 2nd year there doing OT and she seems to love it, it's also not too far from home!
Reply 5
Original post by carlyjayb
Hi,
Yes I am in a similar position.
Though I am trying to see if I can get in this year- though i'm not too hopeful!
What access course are you doing? if i don't get in this year i think i will need to do an access course before applying next time.
Do you have any universities in mind that you are going to apply for next year?
Carly

Oh good luck with clearing. The Access Course I'm doing is called Access to Nursing, Midwifery and other Health Realted Courses and it's made up of Biology, Chemistry and a short Physics course followed by either Psychology or Health Care units. It says I'll also study IT, communication, numeracy and study-skills.... I can't wait to get started with it all. I'm going to apply for Oxford Brookes, Southamption, Cardiff, Coventry and Brunel, how about you?
Reply 6
Original post by sarahp
Hi

I'm about to start my 2nd year of a part time access and can't wait to get going again!

I'm hoping to study occupational therapy at Coventry. It's my only choice really due to family (i'm 37!!!)

How have you found the Access? I'm going to apply for Coventry, looks really nice from the website, although I haven't ever visited it!
Reply 7
Original post by L-2011
How have you found the Access? I'm going to apply for Coventry, looks really nice from the website, although I haven't ever visited it!

I've loved it and looked forward to going to college and doing my homework....sad I know!! I've done better than I ever would've imagined!

I went to Coventry open day in June, it looks great so fingers crossed!

Are you local to Cov?
Reply 8
Apparently Cardiff and Coventry are the best for studying OT :smile:
Reply 9
Hi All

I am getting ready to apply for the MSC Pre-reg in OT and needed some advice.

Is it worth studyin an access course in sciences when I have a BA in Sociology?

Im a bit worried as I didnt do well in sciences at school.

Not sure if I'm panicking over nothing
Reply 10
Original post by sophiemay20
Apparently Cardiff and Coventry are the best for studying OT :smile:

I've heard Southamption and Brookes are also really good :-)
Reply 11
Hi all,

I was in your position last year so if you need any help or questions answered id be more than happy to help :-)

x
Reply 12
Original post by jessica87
Hi all,

I was in your position last year so if you need any help or questions answered id be more than happy to help :-)

x

Thanks Jessica - do you have any tips for your PS?
Reply 13
Original post by L-2011
Thanks Jessica - do you have any tips for your PS?

I kept my statement completely OT focused. My college tried to sway me into writing lots about my interests and my college course. Where I appreciate this is interesting it takes up valuable space, you only get so many lines so its quite restricting.

I did the following:

*Opened it with a statement rather than just 'i want to be an OT because'
*Linked everything i talked about to OT
*The majority of my statement was about the work placements i had experienced, talk about what you learnt from each experience and why it fueled your desire to train to become an OT
*Talk about CPD as they are really hot on that.
*Errrrrm ... end it with a sum up and that you are now 100% sure you want to train.

I found it difficult to start but once you get going it sort of flows. :-)

Its all very exciting. Have you done any work experience? xx
Reply 14
I kept my statement completely OT focused. My college tried to sway me into writing lots about my interests and my college course. Where I appreciate this is interesting it takes up valuable space, you only get so many lines so its quite restricting.

I did the following:

*Opened it with a statement rather than just 'i want to be an OT because'
*Linked everything i talked about to OT
*The majority of my statement was about the work placements i had experienced, talk about what you learnt from each experience and why it fueled your desire to train to become an OT
*Talk about CPD as they are really hot on that.
*Errrrrm ... end it with a sum up and that you are now 100% sure you want to train.

I found it difficult to start but once you get going it sort of flows. :-)

Its all very exciting. Have you done any work experience? xx

That's great thanks... :-) One thing - What is CPD?
I have done some work experience at 3 hospitals and I'm a p/t care assistant now. I'm struggling to get everything I want to say in the number of lines/characters I'm allowed, argh! x
Reply 15
Original post by L-2011
I have done some work experience at 3 hospitals and I'm a p/t care assistant now. I'm struggling to get everything I want to say in the number of lines/characters I'm allowed, argh! x

Wow sounds like you have done a lot, thats great :-)

CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development. "Put simply, CPD is the way health professionals continue to learn and develop throughout their careers so they keep their skills and knowledge up to date and are able to work safely, legally and effectively".

It is really restricting i agree. I planned the layout of mine and made a list of the key things i wanted to get in.

Which Uni's are you applying to? x
Reply 16
Original post by L-2011

I know how you feel....my personal statement seems to go on forever, I'm really struggling to cut it down without cutting out important bits!!
Reply 17
Wow sounds like you have done a lot, thats great :-)

CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development. "Put simply, CPD is the way health professionals continue to learn and develop throughout their careers so they keep their skills and knowledge up to date and are able to work safely, legally and effectively".

It is really restricting i agree. I planned the layout of mine and made a list of the key things i wanted to get in.

Which Uni's are you applying to? x

I'm applying to Oxford Brookes, Southamption, Cardiff, Coventry and Brunel. Which uni are you at? x
Reply 18
Original post by L-2011
I'm applying to Oxford Brookes, Southamption, Cardiff, Coventry and Brunel. Which uni are you at? x

Ive got a place at Southampton, starting in a few weeks. All very exciting! Its quite competative, think there was only 36 places at Southampton for this year. So you really got to stand out.

Im sure you'll be fine and good luck :-) x
I'm terrified of the prospect of having to do the interviews, are they hard?
And just 36 places? my god... this worries me :/ Well done for getting in though! Bet you're chuffed! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending