The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ahh hearing about all of these results is killing me!

:banghead:
Reply 61
Original post by grifgrof
A mum here ... has anyone ever recovered from an E in Chemistry AS and gone on to do medicine? Or is it time to give up the dream?:frown:

I'm sorry, it does seem unlikely. It definitely means they won't be able to apply for 2012 entry. If your son/daughter is still very keen to apply to do medicine they need to resit their AS modules during their A2 year, work very hard to keep onto of their A2 grades and achieve grades AAA or AAB at the end of the two years. They would then be able to take a gap year and apply for 2013 entry. This isn't impossible but it is certainly very hard to pull an E up to an A in a year.
Reply 62
Original post by grifgrof
A mum here ... has anyone ever recovered from an E in Chemistry AS and gone on to do medicine? Or is it time to give up the dream?:frown:

As lekky said, it is unlikely, but depending on why the grade was that low it's not totally impossible. I got a D in one of my chemistry exams, and managed to pull it up to an A but I did nearly kill myself in the process, and my other exams suffered for it. My advice is to sit and have a serious think about how badly they want the dream, and whether it has to be medicine specifically. I had a friend in a similar situation who has gone on to do a paramedical science degree and is absolutely loving it and wouldn't look back now. If they do decide it's the only thing they want to do, then they'll have to be very bloody minded about seriously working their socks off, taking that extra year to pull that grade up. And find a medical school where Bs in chemistry are accepted. I know there aren't many now, but I think Keele is one of them.

But definitely sounds like time for a serious think. Is it worth killing yourself slaving for resits (because that kind of grade raising requires a brutal amount of work) when there may be something else that you might actually be happier doing?
Reply 63
A and 3 B's. Pissed off.
I was thinking of Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester and Aberdeen, anyone know if I will be at any serious disadvantage with these grades? I'm going to resit a few papers and get it up to standard anyway.
Reply 64
BIO1 - 80 (A)
BIO2 - 112 (A)
BIO3T - 38 (C)
Overall - 230 (B)

CHEM1- 74 (B)
CHEM2- 104 (B)
CHEM3T- 51 (A)
Overall - 229 (B)

ECON1 - 68 (C)
ECON2 - 80 (A)
Overall - 148 (B)

PHYA1 - 88 (B)
PHYA2 - 82 (C)
PHYA3X - 28 (E)
Overall - 198 (c)

Pretty disappointed as I was expecting AAAb do you think I can still get predicted AAA I feel like ****.
Reply 65
Original post by Caolan
A and 3 B's. Pissed off.
I was thinking of Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester and Aberdeen, anyone know if I will be at any serious disadvantage with these grades? I'm going to resit a few papers and get it up to standard anyway.

Check on this page to see if you meet any AS requirements of those medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

As long as you are predicted AAA, I don't see a problem. As you've said, you can also resit to increase your AS grades.

Original post by Besakt
BIO1 - 80 (A)
BIO2 - 112 (A)
BIO3T - 38 (C)
Overall - 230 (B)

CHEM1- 74 (B)
CHEM2- 104 (B)
CHEM3T- 51 (A)
Overall - 229 (B)

ECON1 - 68 (C)
ECON2 - 80 (A)
Overall - 148 (B)

PHYA1 - 88 (B)
PHYA2 - 82 (C)
PHYA3X - 28 (E)
Overall - 198 (c)

Pretty disappointed as I was expecting AAAb do you think I can still get predicted AAA I feel like ****.

You will have to speak to your teachers about being predicted AAA, but I don't think it's a stretch to predict you that. I would advise resitting some AS modules.
Reply 66
Original post by Caolan
A and 3 B's. Pissed off.

Can't see it being a problem as long as you get the AAA prediction.
Reply 67
Original post by Beska
Check on this page to see if you meet any AS requirements of those medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

As long as you are predicted AAA, I don't see a problem. As you've said, you can also resit to increase your AS grades.

You will have to speak to your teachers about being predicted AAA, but I don't think it's a stretch to predict you that. I would advise resitting some AS modules.

Would I be at a disadvantage to somebody who has got AAA at AS and predicted AAA. If I have BBBc but predicted AAA?
Reply 68
Original post by Beska

Thanks for the link.
Reply 69
Original post by Besakt
Would I be at a disadvantage to somebody who has got AAA at AS and predicted AAA. If I have BBBc but predicted AAA?

You're not as academically strong as them. It really depends on how the University uses that information but your application is clearly not as academically strong. That does put you at a disadvantage, yes.
Reply 70
Still got an hour and a half to go :colonhash:
Reply 71
Original post by lekky
You're not as academically strong as them. It really depends on how the University uses that information but your application is clearly not as academically strong. That does put you at a disadvantage, yes.

What universities don't put as much emphasis on academics.
Reply 72
Ahhh i got an A in chem and 3 B's in biology, maths and physics.
i am really depressed about biology as i got a ums mark of above 90% in 2 units and got a 64% in the third unit which makes my overall a B. Got a high B in maths and a B at 75% for physics.
In my A2 year i am going to resit the biology and maths modules to bring them up to AAAb. can i still apply to med schools despite the bad as grades?
Reply 73
Original post by Blackout94
i am really depressed about biology as i got a ums mark of above 90% in 2 units and got a 64% in the third unit which makes my overall a B. Got a high B in maths and a B at 75% for physics.
In my A2 year i am going to resit the biology and maths modules to bring them up to AAAb. can i still apply to med schools despite the bad as grades?

As long as you get the AAA prediction, yes. Well done. :smile:
Reply 74

As long as you're predicted AAA, yup. :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Beska
As long as you're predicted AAA, yup. :smile:

What unis can i apply to, if i have a good UKCAT score and a strong application with 7As at GCSEs?
Reply 76
Original post by DrGalago
As lekky said, it is unlikely, but depending on why the grade was that low it's not totally impossible. I got a D in one of my chemistry exams, and managed to pull it up to an A but I did nearly kill myself in the process, and my other exams suffered for it. My advice is to sit and have a serious think about how badly they want the dream, and whether it has to be medicine specifically. I had a friend in a similar situation who has gone on to do a paramedical science degree and is absolutely loving it and wouldn't look back now. If they do decide it's the only thing they want to do, then they'll have to be very bloody minded about seriously working their socks off, taking that extra year to pull that grade up. And find a medical school where Bs in chemistry are accepted. I know there aren't many now, but I think Keele is one of them.

But definitely sounds like time for a serious think. Is it worth killing yourself slaving for resits (because that kind of grade raising requires a brutal amount of work) when there may be something else that you might actually be happier doing?

Thank you, this is a lovely and kind reply from you both. I think that we have been trying to stick a round peg in a square hole academically and it's time to reconsider. So sad as she would have made a brilliant doctor in many ways. We will look at paramedicine. Do you think that nursing might be another good alternative?
Reply 77
What unis can i apply to, if i have a good UKCAT score and a strong application with 7As at GCSEs?

Try putting your details into this spreadsheet. :smile:
Reply 78

It's time for you to do some legwork on this sort of thing, really - the information is all out there and easily accessible. Beska and the rest of us have lots to do today and don't really have time to tell everybody where to apply.
I just got my AS results and I got:
A in biology :smile:
A in maths :smile:
A in music :smile:
B in chemistry :frown:

I was really hoping to get into Imperial College to do medicine, and their requirements are AAAb with resits only in extenuating circumstances. Would they still accept me with the B in chemistry? Even if I got AAA predicted grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending