The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by *pitseleh*
The thing is most people who start at medical school won't have found A-levels excruciatingly hard, so it can come as a bit of a shock that medical school isn't a complete breeze. So if you're already comfortable asking for help when you want it, you'll have a much easier time of it next year than those who stubbornly struggle on in silence! :wink:

And thankyou - placement has been great this week; it's reminded me of why I wanted to be a doctor in the first place to be honest! :biggrin:

Probably because I do IB and its really tough (atleast for me) because I have to do languages and math, which is something I would have dropped at a-levels as they are not my strength but I do encourage everyone to ask for help if they need to :smile:
Are placements far in Sheffield and if you have to travel to the peripheral hospitals, do they reimburse train tickets and all?
Original post by apple17
All I see was the outside of Firth court and Hallamshire's library. :facepalm:
but got a couple of questions:
a) How is the support system at sheffield, like if I am having troubles in the med course, is there a support network? I know Sheffield has large year groups but is there any way to get personal help.
b) How is student life and is the city and school intl friendly?

a) Hello hello. Let's be honest here (coming from a 3rd year medic) - support is sufficient. There's always room for improvement. I mean MedSoc is fantastic with support as we've got a dedicated Welfare Rep to help with any problems. On top of that MedSoc offers a "buddy scheme" where you'll be paired up with 2 upper year medics (in the year above). It's a great way to meet some upper years and from what I've heard - people had mix experiences. I'm a "parent" and I try my best to be a good "mom", but I wouldn't chase my kids around and constantly ask them if they need any help. Instead I make it known to them that I'm always free to meet/talk to. I even had other people who aren't my kids email me to meet up and have a chat. I enjoy talking to people and helping people out. :smile: Support is a two-way process. I always hear students complain that they don't get enough support, but at the same time they don't go looking for it. MedSoc certainly provides a lot of support but I think students need to take the initiative to find support if they need it. We won't know there are problems unless you approach someone for help. Also there are people who volunteer for the buddy scheme who I personally feel aren't interested in mentoring students. I've heard various complaints how the "parents" don't keep in contact or reply to their "children's" emails. Nothing is perfect.

In terms of official support from the school - it isn't publicized much, but you can always email your phase director or admin for any sort of help. Personal help - we have a Personal Academic Tutor Scheme so we'll get a doctor who will be your mentor. This scheme has mixed reviews as it depends on who is your mentor. Some people have had fantastic mentors who has a lot of time to meet with you. Unfortunately I wasn't that lucky and in first year I had a professor as a mentor and to get a meeting with him, you have to arrange your meeting like 6 weeks in advance. Some mentors don't have as much time to meet and there were times where I wished my mentor had time to talk to me. I mean if you really hunt for personal help - you'll find it as there are plenty of outlets to go to. If you really need help though - I think it is best to go to MedSoc as we're pretty geared towards helping out students as we've probably encountered similar problems and can sympathize more readily.

b) Student life is fantastic in Sheffield. Very student friendly as the city is mainly dominated by students. :tongue: There's plenty to do - cinemas, ice skating, shopping (meadowhall), clubbing, bars, etc. Sheffield is very international friendly as well. The city is very diverse and I haven't been given a hard time yet. The medical school is also international friendly and the students all seem very welcoming to internationals. I think it's my accent though. :biggrin:

Original post by Vulpes
a) Yep. Aside from the general student union help and support network, medsoc has its own welfare rep who will be very happy to help you out with any problems.

And since i kinda know you, ill be glad to help too :wink:

b) Student life in Sheffield is simply amazingggg. Paintballing, laser tag, movies, skating etc. there is just so much to do here.

Ive never had the need to seek help as an international student so i cant really give you a definitive answer there but none of the intl students i know have run into any problems adapting etc

Mate I think you're still in the "honeymoon phase". :tongue: Give it another year. Haha.

In terms of international support from the medical school itself - hand to heart - it needs some improving. I'm not going to lie here as I would be misleading people, but it does need some work. Fortunately, most international students don't need much specific international support so it isn't that big of an issue. In the meantime for international support it is best to email the international rep on MedSoc. He or she would try their best to help you out. There is also international support from the union and they are probably better with helping you adapt/welfare needs. Having said all of this, I know the medical school is interested in improving their international support and fingers crossed - we'll see improvements in a couple of months. :smile: :wink: I mean the best thing about Sheffield Medical School is that they are constantly wanting to do better and improve. The school heavily relies on student feedback and we are always encouraged to feedback to the school. I mean they really take our feedback seriously as I do see them making improvements in the course and other things that we've mentioned about that needs improving. I know a lot of schools don't take feedback seriously, but with Sheffield I know they take the feedback close to heart as we are always striving to make medical school a fantastic experience and they want to make sure they are graduating top notch medics.

Original post by jessplease
We only really walked to the student union and sat there till we needed to go back! I guess I got a feel of the area though :smile:

There isn't much else to see to be honest. When I take interviewees on tour I take them to the lecture theatre and then take them past the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Then I vaguely point towards Goodwin (sports centre). Then we walk down to the union and point out important buildings along the way (including the IC). Unfortunately we aren't allowed into the dissection room so we can't take interviewees into the building. :frown: I mean after the interview you could always head down to city centre and do some more exploring. Also there is a tight time constraint as we need to get you (the interviewees) back for your interviews on time! No one likes rushing. :tongue:
Original post by apple17
Probably because I do IB and its really tough (atleast for me) because I have to do languages and math, which is something I would have dropped at a-levels as they are not my strength but I do encourage everyone to ask for help if they need to :smile:
Are placements far in Sheffield and if you have to travel to the peripheral hospitals, do they reimburse train tickets and all?

Depends what you consider far. The furthest you'll have to go is Grimsby which is about 1.5 hour journey. The school does give you a travel allowance though so it's not too bad (mind you, it may not cover the total price of your train ticket). Most of the peripheral hospitals, in my opinion, aren't that far. Coming from Canada...everything seems close by. To me a 40 minute drive is moderate. To some British people, they think that is FAR. So far I've been placed in the 2 furthest hospitals where you can travel back and forth every day (without staying overnight in accommodation). The furthest I've been placed is Doncaster and that is a 40ish minute drive (depends on traffic). I mean that's the furthest hospital you can get away with travelling every day. The next furthest is Scunthorpe and students stay in the accommodations there as it's almost impossible to travel every day there.

Hope that answers your question. :smile:
Original post by magichearts

There isn't much else to see to be honest. When I take interviewees on tour I take them to the lecture theatre and then take them past the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Then I vaguely point towards Goodwin (sports centre). Then we walk down to the union and point out important buildings along the way (including the IC). Unfortunately we aren't allowed into the dissection room so we can't take interviewees into the building. :frown: I mean after the interview you could always head down to city centre and do some more exploring. Also there is a tight time constraint as we need to get you (the interviewees) back for your interviews on time! No one likes rushing. :tongue:

I didn't mind, it was nice just relaxing in the student union and talking to the other interviewee's etc. Was just wondering if there were any open days for talks etc, just because once you've got an offer and chance to go there you may look into it a bit more! but i guess there's only so much you can see! i was still very happy with what i saw, its all very modern:smile:
Reply 784
Nice, uber long reply there :tongue:

On top of that MedSoc offers a "buddy scheme" where you'll be paired up with 2 upper year medics (in the year above). It's a great way to meet some upper years and from what I've heard - people had mix experiences.

:sadnod: My medic dad is brilliant! Helping out with SSCs etc. But I haven't actually spoken / been in contact with my medic mum since the intro session... Kinda jealous of some families who have tons of socials and whose parents share notes and exam tips etc...

If you really need help though - I think it is best to go to MedSoc as we're pretty geared towards helping out students as we've probably encountered similar problems and can sympathize more readily.

One thing tho, wouldn't the new medsoc committee members have less experience with dealing with student problems as opposed to the previous year's medsoc members?

The medical school is also international friendly and the students all seem very welcoming to internationals. I think it's my accent though. :biggrin:

Canadian? :giggle:

Mate I think you're still in the "honeymoon phase". :tongue: Give it another year. Haha.

As long as I get more ICE programs, I don't think I'll ever get over this honeymoon phase :biggrin: Its just AMAZINGGGG :love:
Original post by Vulpes
Nice, uber long reply there :tongue:

:sadnod: My medic dad is brilliant! Helping out with SSCs etc. But I haven't actually spoken / been in contact with my medic mum since the intro session... Kinda jealous of some families who have tons of socials and whose parents share notes and exam tips etc...

One thing tho, wouldn't the new medsoc committee members have less experience with dealing with student problems as opposed to the previous year's medsoc members?

Canadian? :giggle:

As long as I get more ICE programs, I don't think I'll ever get over this honeymoon phase :biggrin: Its just AMAZINGGGG :love:

Long replies save me from constantly pressing reply. 3 birds with 1 stone? I like.

Well yes the new medsoc committee will be "less" experienced but remember half the committee will probably be made of veterans. There are a lot of people who are running for committee positions who have been on the committee for at least 1 year. That's also why we have some positions which requires at least 1 year of experience - eg. Welfare Rep, Social Sec, Vice-President, President, etc.

You know Phase 1B is going to be one hell of a grind. This is your last proper clinical attachment until Phase 2. Let me know how you feel next year this time. :tongue: :wink:
Reply 786
Long replies save me from constantly pressing reply. 3 birds with 1 stone? I like.

Well yes the new medsoc committee will be "less" experienced but remember half the committee will probably be made of veterans. There are a lot of people who are running for committee positions who have been on the committee for at least 1 year. That's also why we have some positions which requires at least 1 year of experience - eg. Welfare Rep, Social Sec, Vice-President, President, etc.

You know Phase 1B is going to be one hell of a grind. This is your last proper clinical attachment until Phase 2. Let me know how you feel next year this time. :tongue: :wink:

Hopefully the knowledge that I will be able to start clin medicine in phase 2 will be able to drag me through phase 1b :yep:
Reply 787
a) Hello hello. Let's be honest here (coming from a 3rd year medic) - support is sufficient. There's always room for improvement. I mean MedSoc is fantastic with support as we've got a dedicated Welfare Rep to help with any problems. On top of that MedSoc offers a "buddy scheme" where you'll be paired up with 2 upper year medics (in the year above). It's a great way to meet some upper years and from what I've heard - people had mix experiences. I'm a "parent" and I try my best to be a good "mom", but I wouldn't chase my kids around and constantly ask them if they need any help. Instead I make it known to them that I'm always free to meet/talk to. I even had other people who aren't my kids email me to meet up and have a chat. I enjoy talking to people and helping people out. :smile: Support is a two-way process. I always hear students complain that they don't get enough support, but at the same time they don't go looking for it. MedSoc certainly provides a lot of support but I think students need to take the initiative to find support if they need it. We won't know there are problems unless you approach someone for help. Also there are people who volunteer for the buddy scheme who I personally feel aren't interested in mentoring students. I've heard various complaints how the "parents" don't keep in contact or reply to their "children's" emails. Nothing is perfect.

In terms of official support from the school - it isn't publicized much, but you can always email your phase director or admin for any sort of help. Personal help - we have a Personal Academic Tutor Scheme so we'll get a doctor who will be your mentor. This scheme has mixed reviews as it depends on who is your mentor. Some people have had fantastic mentors who has a lot of time to meet with you. Unfortunately I wasn't that lucky and in first year I had a professor as a mentor and to get a meeting with him, you have to arrange your meeting like 6 weeks in advance. Some mentors don't have as much time to meet and there were times where I wished my mentor had time to talk to me. I mean if you really hunt for personal help - you'll find it as there are plenty of outlets to go to. If you really need help though - I think it is best to go to MedSoc as we're pretty geared towards helping out students as we've probably encountered similar problems and can sympathize more readily.

b) Student life is fantastic in Sheffield. Very student friendly as the city is mainly dominated by students. :tongue: There's plenty to do - cinemas, ice skating, shopping (meadowhall), clubbing, bars, etc. Sheffield is very international friendly as well. The city is very diverse and I haven't been given a hard time yet. The medical school is also international friendly and the students all seem very welcoming to internationals. I think it's my accent though. :biggrin:

p

Hey you :smile:
a) The more I hear about the school, the more I fall in love with it again. It was such an amazing place when I came to visit, I prob have a soft spot for sheffield as I spent my 17th birthday this year in that city. That is great to hear about the Med Soc, I was jsut curious as obviously, I can't except as much help as I get atm (my gr.12 year is 12 kids so a LOT of tutoring and what not) but I did not want to go to a place where i am just a number (UFT. :rolleyes:)
b) Ooh, great to hear. The accent is definitely trippy, one guy thought I had an American one when i explained I was Canadian. I don't get how he figured it out. :dontknow:
Reply 788
Depends what you consider far. The furthest you'll have to go is Grimsby which is about 1.5 hour journey. The school does give you a travel allowance though so it's not too bad (mind you, it may not cover the total price of your train ticket). Most of the peripheral hospitals, in my opinion, aren't that far. Coming from Canada...everything seems close by. To me a 40 minute drive is moderate. To some British people, they think that is FAR. So far I've been placed in the 2 furthest hospitals where you can travel back and forth every day (without staying overnight in accommodation). The furthest I've been placed is Doncaster and that is a 40ish minute drive (depends on traffic). I mean that's the furthest hospital you can get away with travelling every day. The next furthest is Scunthorpe and students stay in the accommodations there as it's almost impossible to travel every day there.

Hope that answers your question. :smile:

Ooh, how much are train tickets, my dad got it early this year and never told me the prices. :sad2: Woah, 40 minute is not too bad, my school atm is 20 minutes away. Ahh, so accommodation is provided by the uni I am guessing and can you drive in UK at the moment.
Original post by apple17
Ooh, how much are train tickets, my dad got it early this year and never told me the prices. :sad2: Woah, 40 minute is not too bad, my school atm is 20 minutes away. Ahh, so accommodation is provided by the uni I am guessing and can you drive in UK at the moment.

To be honest I don't know how much train tickets are...I've never taken the train to placement before. :colondollar: If I remember correctly, my friend said it was about £4 each way for Doncaster. We get an allowance of about £5 round trip for Doncaster. So it doesn't exactly cover everything, so carpooling with someone is obviously much cheaper. Yes the accommodation is provided by the hospital...can't guarantee you that it'll be nice though. :tongue: And yes I can drive in the UK...but I swapped my Canadian driving license to a UK driving license.
Reply 790
Original post by apple17

To be honest I don't know how much train tickets are...I've never taken the train to placement before. :colondollar: If I remember correctly, my friend said it was about £4 each way for Doncaster. We get an allowance of about £5 round trip for Doncaster. So it doesn't exactly cover everything, so carpooling with someone is obviously much cheaper. Yes the accommodation is provided by the hospital...can't guarantee you that it'll be nice though. :tongue: And yes I can drive in the UK...but I swapped my Canadian driving license to a UK driving license.

You can get one of those weekly travel passes which covers all public transport in South Yorkshire for 24 quid. The uni will reimburse you with 25 quid for the round trip travel expenses and you can actually save a lot because the travel pass covers all public transport within Sheffield too.

And just a note, only some hospitals will offer accommodation. Chesterfield, Doncaster, Sheffield most certainly do not. Not sure about the rest.
Reply 791

Aww I see I see, carpooling seems like a better option. Doubt it will be nice, one of the resident docs here said that the accomodation is pre small , but I am not complaining, it is free. :smile: Ooh, you can swap the Canadian driving license for a UK driving license?
Original post by Vulpes
You can get one of those weekly travel passes which covers all public transport in South Yorkshire for 24 quid. The uni will reimburse you with 25 quid for the round trip travel expenses and you can actually save a lot because the travel pass covers all public transport within Sheffield too.

And just a note, only some hospitals will offer accommodation. Chesterfield, Doncaster, Sheffield most certainly do not. Not sure about the rest.

Oh yeah I forgot about the pass. Never thought of it as I usually drive people and sometimes they have to stay late at the hospital and I'm selfish so I leave without them. LOL. That's probably why they don't buy a pass as they have to pay me as well, and me leaving without them is quite rare. :colone:

Oh and Doncaster definitely gives accommodation...I had friends who stayed there instead of travelling every day. Doncaster, Bassetlaw, Scunthorpe, and Grimsby for sure offer accommodation. Sheffield 100% sure they don't. The rest I'm not sure...either way the other hospitals are pretty close by...so there isn't much need for staying over.

Original post by apple17
Aww I see I see, carpooling seems like a better option. Doubt it will be nice, one of the resident docs here said that the accomodation is pre small , but I am not complaining, it is free. :smile: Ooh, you can swap the Canadian driving license for a UK driving license?

Yes you can swap the Canadian driving license for a UK one as long as you have a full driving license. The only thing is that when you swap for the UK license you have to give up your Canadian license and you can only drive Automatic cars in the UK (not like I care...). I mean it's a big toss up between taking public transportation and driving. You don't need a car in Phase 1a and 1b. It certainly made my life a hell lot easier when I got a car for Phase 2 as my first placement was in Doncaster. Plus I don't have to rely on public transportation/other people. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 793
Oh yeah I forgot about the pass. Never thought of it as I usually drive people and sometimes they have to stay late at the hospital and I'm selfish so I leave without them. LOL. That's probably why they don't buy a pass as they have to pay me as well, and me leaving without them is quite rare. :colone:

Oh and Doncaster definitely gives accommodation...I had friends who stayed there instead of travelling every day. Doncaster, Bassetlaw, Scunthorpe, and Grimsby for sure offer accommodation. Sheffield 100% sure they don't. The rest I'm not sure...either way the other hospitals are pretty close by...so there isn't much need for staying over.

Yes you can swap the Canadian driving license for a UK one as long as you have a full driving license. The only thing is that when you swap for the UK license you have to give up your Canadian license and you can only drive Automatic cars in the UK (not like I care...). I mean it's a big toss up between taking public transportation and driving. You don't need a car in Phase 1a and 1b. It certainly made my life a hell lot easier when I got a car for Phase 2 as my first placement was in Doncaster. Plus I don't have to rely on public transportation/other people. :biggrin:

Ooh, I will stick to keeping my Canadian license and public transportation. :cry2: and you don't like automatic cars: thats all we drive in Canada.
And I see, thanks for the info and have fun on placements!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by apple17
Ooh, I will stick to keeping my Canadian license and public transportation. :cry2: and you don't like automatic cars: thats all we drive in Canada.
And I see, thanks for the info and have fun on placements!

No I meant that on the UK license you are only allowed to drive automatic cars. It's a restriction. I like automatic cars! Brainless driving! I meant I don't care about the restriction as I can't be bothered to drive a manual.
Reply 795
No I meant that on the UK license you are only allowed to drive automatic cars. It's a restriction. I like automatic cars! Brainless driving! I meant I don't care about the restriction as I can't be bothered to drive a manual.

Oopsies, I agree. I learnt driving on an auto and cba to learn manual. Plus, I never seem to have time, it just disappears. :cry2:
Btw, Sheffield posts the exam results on a notice board. Realized that and was pre shocked, should be electronic, i thought. :s-smilie:
Reply 796
Original post by apple17
Oopsies, I agree. I learnt driving on an auto and cba to learn manual. Plus, I never seem to have time, it just disappears. :cry2:
Btw, Sheffield posts the exam results on a notice board. Realized that and was pre shocked, should be electronic, i thought. :s-smilie:

:sadnod: Totally agree with you.
Original post by apple17

What the others have already said. :wink:
Original post by Vulpes

Hi, how much a week (roughly) of Sheffield's teaching is PBL based? thanks!
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Hi, how much a week (roughly) of Sheffield's teaching is PBL based? thanks!

It's not even weekly (in first year, anyway); we basically have one hour's PBL tutorial per fortnight (though we call it ILA instead for some reason) with an introductory lecture in which someone with the condition in question comes in and answers questions. So... not very much PBL at all.

The rest of the week is made up of lectures and dissections and the odd clinical skills study day.

Hope that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending