The Student Room Group

Urgent as level advice required please :s

This poll is closed

What would you do?

Drop ICT 63%
Drop Economics 4%
Do 4 A Levels33%
Total votes: 126
Thank you for all the advice. It has really helped. I went to enroll for A2 where I chose the subjects. I also asked teachers what grades they might predict me and they said:

Accounting: A*
Economics: A* (required persuading)
Maths: A

As you can see I took the advice of the TSR community and dropped ICT. Was this a good decision?

However I feel that I may achieve:

Accounting: A*
Economics: A
Maths: B

I also initially went to pick up Citizenship as an AS but the teacher suggested that I do Critical Thinking which I agreed to. Now that I have come home and researched it I have seen how long the exam is and the low pass rate.
Do you think I will regret choosing this since I will end up with a low grade or does it not matter? Your advice on these choices are welcome.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Drop ict its a subject you dont enjoy as much as eco plus its not really well respected as economics is.
Reply 2
Original post by nerimon18
Drop ict its a subject you dont enjoy as much as eco plus its not really well respected as economics is.

I am thinking of doing that but I have been told unit 3 is hard.Does anyone do eco?
Reply 3
I say do 4 a levels. I am, then you can afford to drop down to a B in one subject and still be rewarded by unis for doing extra subjects
Reply 4
Drop ICT because you enjoy it less and ther is hardly a difference in your actual grades. Plus Economics is a better looked upon subject :smile: But at the end of the day its up to you!!!
Reply 5
Original post by CJAW
I say do 4 a levels. I am, then you can afford to drop down to a B in one subject and still be rewarded by unis for doing extra subjects

Is it possible to start of with 4 A Levels and drop one as you go along?
Reply 6
i would keep doing the 4 becuase you have got really good marks so far so concentrate on one either ict or economics and get ur A* or A in it next year and you will still have ur good mark in ict last year to bring u up to a A or B next year. If u get what i mean lol :smile: all the best anyway!
Reply 7
Original post by ...mo...

Yes its possible.

I suggest taking 4 a-levels. Who knows, Next year you might find a course that you really like that might want ICT or maybe they want Eco.
Reply 8
Original post by clairemonty
i would keep doing the 4 becuase you have got really good marks so far so concentrate on one either ict or economics and get ur A* or A in it next year and you will still have ur good mark in ict last year to bring u up to a A or B next year. If u get what i mean lol :smile: all the best anyway!

Would you suggest doing them both and then putting the effort in one and letting the other drop to a B?

Is it better to have AAAA or A*AA?
Reply 9
Original post by Xyls
Yes its possible.

I suggest taking 4 a-levels. Who knows, Next year you might find a course that you really like that might want ICT or maybe they want Eco.

I am thinking of going to Birmingahm Uni which require AAB-ABB

Can I ask your grades and what you are thinking of doing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

Yep, you can drop one after AS (end of first year), but not after that, otherwise you won't do the actual exam
Reply 11
Original post by CJAW
Yep, you can drop one after AS (end of first year), but not after that, otherwise you won't do the actual exam

The problem is that I have to sign up for A2 subects on the 30th and also have to put my A Levels on UCAS, so I cant have a trial of a few months or even weeks so I NEED to make the correct decision now
Reply 12
The problem is that I have to sign up for A2 subects on the 30th and also have to put my A Levels on UCAS, so I cant have a trial of a few months or even weeks so I NEED to make the correct decision now

Oh I see. That would be up to your school to decide, negotiate with your teachers or whatever if they'll let you have a trial run.
Reply 13
I can see that people are advising me to do 4 A Levels but I have to say that I am not a genius. I was predicted AABC and over acheived I feel. My GCSE's were not great either: A*AAAABBBBCCCC and plus I just scraped in with Maths

Accounting: 92%
Maths: 80%
ICT: 85%
Eco: 81%

Will I be able to handle it?
Reply 14
Original post by hannah1994
Drop ICT because you enjoy it less and ther is hardly a difference in your actual grades. Plus Economics is a better looked upon subject :smile: But at the end of the day its up to you!!!

Thanks. Do you or anyone take Eco or ICT at AS and now what it is like at A2?
Reply 15
If you think you won't cope with 4 then just drop IT. You're more likely to do better in a subject you enjoy!
Reply 16
Original post by CJAW
If you think you won't cope with 4 then just drop IT. You're more likely to do better in a subject you enjoy!

Yh maybe. Can I just ask what you results are and what you intend to do.

Reply 17
Yh maybe. Can I just ask what you results are and what you intend to do.

I got 4A (Maths, further Maths, Biology, History) and a B in English. I'm dropping Biology next year and I intend to do a Maths degree :tongue:
Reply 18
I am thinking of going to Birmingahm Uni which require AAB-ABB

Can I ask your grades and what you are thinking of doing?

My grades? Well I'm 21 now and I just took an adult education course to get into uni. I'm going to study Environmental Sciences.

But at A level, My life was a lot difficult. First year I got told I had depression, So only ended up taking 2 AS levels in computing and photography and got a C in both. However after the summer I was medicated and feeling a lot better I actually started taking 5 courses after finding I was getting bored with not having enough to do! (Computing, Photography, English Lit, English Lang and Environmental Sciences). Anyway, Had to leave in febuary of 2nd year due to getting organ failure. Yah my life was fun :smile:

Anyway, I think its achievable to get ABB with possibly a B or a C along side it. I really think that A levels should be about stretching yourself so you are a bit more prepared for uni, I think if you feel confident you should take the 4, see how it goes. You don't HAVE to sit the exam at the end of the day for either one you are struggling with, but think how much it will benefit you if you attempt to. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by CJAW
I got 4A (Maths, further Maths, Biology, History) and a B in English. I'm dropping Biology next year and I intend to do a Maths degree :tongue:

Well done on your grades. I don't understand why you are dropping Bio instead of english??:confused:?? Im sure you have a valid reason.

Where do u intend to study because I know a few wanting to do a degree in Maths
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending