The Student Room Group

Resitting 6 papers during my A2. Please reassure me + tell me some success stories!

Hi there,

I recently got my AS results and didn't do very well. I achieved BCEE in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I really want to study Natural Sciences, a degree most universities want an A*AA/AAA for minimum entry requirements. However, instead of resitting the whole year I chose to resit the papers I did bad in along with doing my A2. I am aware most people just resit the occasional/few papers and doing 6 may be a bit extreme. I won't be applying to university this year though, for the following reasons:

1.) I won't have the predicted grades to meet the entry requirements and with my AS grades they are unlikely to believe I could achieve A*AA/AAA.
2.) I don't have the self confidence right now to apply as well as the fact that I know I will be a weak candidate in terms of personal statement etc.
3.) I don't want to be overly stressed with having to deal with all these resits on top of my A2 work.

I am aiming for AAAa/A*AAa. I will drop Maths A2.

I will be resitting the following papers:
Maths C1 (Jan)
Maths C2 (June)
Statistics 1 (Jan)
Bio 1 (Jan)
Chem 2 (June)
Psych 1 (Jan)

Overall - 4 papers in January. 2 papers in June.

I realize how hard this will be and that it may not be realistic to achieve those final grades without resitting a whole year. I just really don't feel like resitting the year is the right thing to do (gut instinct).

Tbh I just really need some reassurance that this can be done and want to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:
Yes I too am in a very similar situation to yours.
On Thursday the results I achieved are ABCCC and I've always wanted to do Medicine.
I'm planning to resit 3 modules, one for each subject (bio chem english) as well as coursework / practicles etc. From my GCSEs (9A* 3A 0.5B) and January results I'd been predicted AAAAB but obviously it all went wrong :frown:
It was mainly pure laziness as to why I have these poor results.
I'm dropping maths too - HATE it!
I'll also be taking on AS physics and then complete the A2 units privatley during my Gap Year + gain more work experience, learn to drive etc.
Hey, but don't worry! Anything is possible if you actually quit being lazy :wink:

SUCCESS STORY: One of my teachers said that her friend had 5Cs at AS but then worked really hard after his wrong ways and came out with 5As at A2! He then got into Oxford by applying post-A-Level :smile: See, one should never lose hope.

EDIT: Hey, I think it would be better if you resat both C1 and C2 in Jan as some of the content overlaps slightly + similar difficulty levels.
I'm resitting ALL my exams and courseworks by Jan to ease of the pressure in Summer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Naami
Hi there,

I recently got my AS results and didn't do very well. I achieved BCEE in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I really want to study Natural Sciences, a degree most universities want an A*AA/AAA for minimum entry requirements. However, instead of resitting the whole year I chose to resit the papers I did bad in along with doing my A2. I am aware most people just resit the occasional/few papers and doing 6 may be a bit extreme. I won't be applying to university this year though, for the following reasons:

1.) I won't have the predicted grades to meet the entry requirements and with my AS grades they are unlikely to believe I could achieve A*AA/AAA.
2.) I don't have the self confidence right now to apply as well as the fact that I know I will be a weak candidate in terms of personal statement etc.
3.) I don't want to be overly stressed with having to deal with all these resits on top of my A2 work.

Maths C1 (Jan)
Maths C2 (June)
Statistics 1 (Jan)
Bio 1 (Jan)
Chem 2 (June)
Psych 1 (Jan)

I realize how hard this will be and that it may not be realistic to achieve those final grades without resitting a whole year. I just really don't feel like resitting the year is the right thing to do (gut instinct).

Tbh I just really need some reassurance that this can be done and want to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation?

My best friend is now doing biomed at Sheffield and did the same subjects as you except English instead of Psych and ended up getting ACCD in her first year. She had to re-sit 8 exams and came out with AABB just a couple of days ago. You'll be fine.
I had BBCC after AS Levels last year, dropped English Lit (one of my B subjects - I dropped it months before my results), and resat the two Cs (History and Geography) and achieved ABB on Thursday (A in Geo, B in History and Politics).

I'm going to resit politics because I didn't revise for it, but I've applied to really good universities for geography/international relations/politics.

Just never lose faith. I think most people underestimate the exams for AS, but then for A2 appreciate the severity of the situation (except for me who revised on the day of exams for all exams, and didn't revise for politics).
Reply 4
Hey. In January of a couple years ago I resat 8 AS exams, sat 3 A2 exams and did 2 courseworks. I got As in every single one. (Before you could get A*s)

The point is that in a lot of subjects what you learn at the beginning of A2 compounds what you learn at AS so it's all good :biggrin:
Original post by Huskaris
Hey. In January of a couple years ago I resat 8 AS exams, sat 3 A2 exams and did 2 courseworks. I got As in every single one. (Before you could get A*s)

The point is that in a lot of subjects what you learn at the beginning of A2 compounds what you learn at AS so it's all good :biggrin:

That's awesome! Gives me some extra hope :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Naami
Hi there,

Maths C1 (Jan)
Maths C2 (June)
Statistics 1 (Jan)
Bio 1 (Jan)
Chem 2 (June)
Psych 1 (Jan)

You will be fine, I took 16 exams in total this summer and I got A*A*A , so it doable. just need hard work
Original post by NightKings
You will be fine, I took 16 exams in total this summer and I got A*A*A , so it doable. just need hard work

That's great! :smile:
BTW - May I ask how much you've improved from AS and approximatley how many hours of revision did you do per day?
I've got terrible AS grades and just don't know how much to revise or a more efficient method (this year I just read the text books like I had been doing at GCSE but sadly it doesn't work anymore, but it did for Jan exams:confused:)
I managed doing 2 full A - levels in a year alongside a BTEC qualification. If you are dedicated, it's very easy. I didn't get the grades I wanted but, that was probably more to do with some very serious mitigating circumstances. If you are honestly aiming for the grades you say you are - you will breeze it, no issues.
I went from CDEEU to getting a place thats normally AAB in a year, defiantly possible
i got ccde at AS and resat 6 papers in jan and increased my grade by 1 and sat a few again in june and increased grade by 1 also managing to do A2 it is possible just try
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Naami
Hi there,

Maths C1 (Jan)
Maths C2 (June)
Statistics 1 (Jan)
Bio 1 (Jan)
Chem 2 (June)
Psych 1 (Jan)

When I did my A Levels, I resat in my A2 year Physics 1, 2, 3, 4. My original grades for the modules where BCNE, and after resits I got AAAB (although getting B remarked :smile: )
Reply 12
Thanks guys :smile: I'm glad to know that there are lots of people in the same situation and did good. +repped you all but then I ran out - I'll rep you tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Romisa_lovesA7X
That's great! :smile:
BTW - May I ask how much you've improved from AS and approximatley how many hours of revision did you do per day?
I've got terrible AS grades and just don't know how much to revise or a more efficient method (this year I just read the text books like I had been doing at GCSE but sadly it doesn't work anymore, but it did for Jan exams:confused:)

I spend 2-3 hours on average a day on revision.

I got all As in my As-LEVEL but not 100% ,so I retook the modulues to make my UMS looks nicer
Reply 14
i got dddd for my as results and am aiming for abb or aab is that possible and has anyone done it and if so how many hours of revision
Original post by Freaknik
i got dddd for my as results and am aiming for abb or aab is that possible and has anyone done it and if so how many hours of revision

This is the best sentence that has ever been typed.
Reply 16
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
This is the best sentence that has ever been typed.

hello help here
Hi :smile: I got BBC in AS but I needed AAB , so I resat 6 exams, aswell. I improved on all of my rest exams, but then something bad happened, and I did horribly on my A2 and came out with CCD. I'm glad I resat those exams because those results would be even worse than they are now, but I couldn't help not being able to focus. My grandma died , and I had to see her dead, and see the priest and sort all her stuff out and on the day of her funeral I had three exams and I couldn't get out of doing them because I had to do so many exams and I hadn't done enough to get out of it. So I spent those three exams crying and staring out of the window. My school sent off for mitigating circumstances but the most they can give you is another 5% and you never get to know if they give you it or not.
Reply 18
still waiting for help here!!!!
Reply 19
Original post by insignificant
Hi :smile: I got BBC in AS but I needed AAB , so I resat 6 exams, aswell. I improved on all of my rest exams, but then something bad happened, and I did horribly on my A2 and came out with CCD. I'm glad I resat those exams because those results would be even worse than they are now, but I couldn't help not being able to focus. My grandma died , and I had to see her dead, and see the priest and sort all her stuff out and on the day of her funeral I had three exams and I couldn't get out of doing them because I had to do so many exams and I hadn't done enough to get out of it. So I spent those three exams crying and staring out of the window. My school sent off for mitigating circumstances but the most they can give you is another 5% and you never get to know if they give you it or not.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Are you planning to resit then during your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest