The Student Room Group

Making friends on a gap year? I'm bricking it.

Well I'm about to take a gap year in order to apply for uni, and although I'm really happy I have the grades to apply for my chosen course finally I'm very nervous. Pretty much all of my friends are off to uni now, and I feel that they're going to have the time of their lives, and meet lifelong friends. Plus me and my bf are almpst certainly breaking up.

At the moment I have no job, and although at jobs before I'd happily chat to my co workers no one seemed to arrange things to do outside of work.

I'M TERRIFIED OF BEING LONELY. Haha yes I know that not having as many friends for a while isn't the end of the world, but I'm used to having a great group of friends and I can't stand the thought of being alone.

How do I make myself some new "fwends"? Any tips?
Reply 1
It depends.

What are your plans for your gap year?

I went out to SE Asia with a charity for 10 weeks and honestly couldn't have envied my friends at uni any less. Seriously. Some of the were jealous of me!
Original post by Mr_Platini
It depends.

What are your plans for your gap year?

I went out to SE Asia with a charity for 10 weeks and honestly couldn't have envied my friends at uni any less. Seriously. Some of the were jealous of me!

Maybe a ski season or travelling arund march time til summer, probs in Asia. But what about all the time when you weren't away? Did you make new friends or already have some at home?
bump
Reply 4
Original post by Fizzingwhizbee
Maybe a ski season or travelling arund march time til summer, probs in Asia. But what about all the time when you weren't away? Did you make new friends or already have some at home?

When I wasn't in Asia, I was at home, working to earn as much money as possible for my gap year. The majority of my friends went into their first year at uni, but I had some friends that took gap year. I however did not do the same thing as them. In fact, I was happier doing something without them. I wanted to do my own thing. There were about 60/70 other people my age on my gap year when i got out to Malaysia. Never regretted it for a second. I really wouldn't worry about making friends. If you're outgoing, you've got nothing to worry about! Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Lonliness and lack of purpose is the worst feeling in the world and the root cause of depression in my opinion. I'd definitely try and get involved with people my age if I had to take a gap year.

In your position I would definitely do something along the lines of getting a job abroad for a bit. At 6th form breifings my head of year would always advertise cool **** like going to USA for free in return for working at a summer camp. That would mean you'd be involved with people all the time and meet friends there.

You could also join a sports team or some sort of club. Another thing I would do is consider skateboarding. No idea if this is your sort of thing or not, but in my town loads of kids hang out at the ramps, anyone can just hang there and you'll instantly have 20 friends who will be there every evening.
Original post by Surfacing
Lonliness and lack of purpose is the worst feeling in the world and the root cause of depression in my opinion. I'd definitely try and get involved with people my age if I had to take a gap year.

In your position I would definitely do something along the lines of getting a job abroad for a bit. At 6th form breifings my head of year would always advertise cool **** like going to USA for free in return for working at a summer camp. That would mean you'd be involved with people all the time and meet friends there.

You could also join a sports team or some sort of club. Another thing I would do is consider skateboarding. No idea if this is your sort of thing or not, but in my town loads of kids hang out at the ramps, anyone can just hang there and you'll instantly have 20 friends who will be there every evening.

Well I'm a girl and don't really skate. Yeah the only thing is that I'll be at home trying to earn money before I could even consider travelling.
When I wasn't in Asia, I was at home, working to earn as much money as possible for my gap year. The majority of my friends went into their first year at uni, but I had some friends that took gap year. I however did not do the same thing as them. In fact, I was happier doing something without them. I wanted to do my own thing. There were about 60/70 other people my age on my gap year when i got out to Malaysia. Never regretted it for a second. I really wouldn't worry about making friends. If you're outgoing, you've got nothing to worry about! Hope that helps!

Ahh but I don't even know if I can get a job, did you make friends through your gap year? I'd hate not going on nights out til all my friends were on holiday from uni etc :frown:.
Reply 8
Original post by Fizzingwhizbee
Ahh but I don't even know if I can get a job, did you make friends through your gap year? I'd hate not going on nights out til all my friends were on holiday from uni etc :frown:.

Missing nights out were never an issue for me as I don't care for them hugely. I live in a village and any decent club are bloody ages away.

Why in God's name can you not get a job?? Make a CV!

Yes I made plenty of friends on my gap year. Just be outgoing and happy!
Reply 9
Tip number one: Don't use the word 'fwends'
Missing nights out were never an issue for me as I don't care for them hugely. I live in a village and any decent club are bloody ages away.

Why in God's name can you not get a job?? Make a CV!

Yes I made plenty of friends on my gap year. Just be outgoing and happy!

Yeah but I'd at least like trips out to the pub etc, I have a job interview this week I'm just worried no one will want to invite me to stuff/be too busy with their own friends.

How did you make so many friends?
Original post by ajp100688
Tip number one: Don't use the word 'fwends'

Please excuse me, yes, I know. It was sarcasm, and I'd just seen the inbetweeners movie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending