The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coco739
Hi I was just wondering when your applying to fy1/fy2 post will they know which medical school you went to? for speciality training they mainly use results from the royal college exams dont they? .

Q1, no they will not know, and it won't have any effect whatsoever, at least for now.

I'm not sure about the Royal exams.
Original post by gozatron
I'm in Mason at the moment. The location is the best on Vale, its by far the nicest by eye and its definitely the best halls social wise (Sooooo much money to spend on its residents!). The ensuite is a must for me, its just so convenient for those messy nights out and early morning lectures. But i would say its definitely over-priced and incovenient for a number of things. For the money we're paying its ridiculous that Mason is the only halls without its own laundry area. Shackleton has everything on its doorstep, the restaurant/cafe/bar/laundry and I personally prefer its layout and kitchen area. If i was replying i'd probably opt for Shackleton now and Mason as a back up but each to their own. Get down to accom day and look around for yourself! :smile:

(Don't forget about Aitken/Chelwood too; but you can forget about Maple Bank/Tennis Courts. Nobody likes them.)

I really liked the look of mason from bham's website virtual tour :smile: I think Im definitely having an ensuite though - first time in my life I'll have my own bathroom (even if it will be tiny :cool:)...Oh I assumed all the halls had their own laundry areas:teehee: Can't wait to see the halls and campus again, I'm finally starting to relax after the UCAS hell of constantly refreshing my email! Haha....Tennis court was out of my accom shortlist by default for not having any ensuite :tongue: but I actually liked Chelwood, I think I read somewhere on TSR that it's only for post-grads this year, guess I'll have to do more research :biggrin: Thanks for all the advice btw, you enjoying your first year? :smile:
Reply 1782
Original post by cmkable
Still sorting through the immunisation stuff so nothing as of today. However, I want to send it off soon so I will ring admissions tommorrow and find out. I´ll let you know. :smile:

Rang admissions today and they said to ignore what the envelope says and include the code of conduct form in it. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by cmkable
Rang admissions today and they said to ignore what the envelope says and include the code of conduct form in it. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
How long after you firm do you receive the CRB information?
Reply 1785
Original post by groovyangel2008
How long after you firm do you receive the CRB information?

I live near London atm and I firmed Monday night and received the CRB check on thursday.
Original post by cmkable
I live near London atm and I firmed Monday night and received the CRB check on thursday.

Ok great thanks
Original post by groovyangel2008
Thinking of renting a house in birmingham (im a grad). Does anyone know any good sites to look at?

Hey, how's the house hunting going? I'm in the same boat and I don't have a clue where to look, where to live and what I should be paying :frown: You found anything good yet?
Original post by Funky_Climber
Hey, how's the house hunting going? I'm in the same boat and I don't have a clue where to look, where to live and what I should be paying :frown: You found anything good yet?

Hey have you joined the birmingham group yet for grads https://www.facebook.com/groups/126502140795574/

Theres a meet up, you should come! Do you think your gonna live by yourself or with other grads? I haven't properly starting house hunting yet..
Original post by coco739
Hi I was just wondering when your applying to fy1/fy2 post will they know which medical school you went to? for speciality training they mainly use results from the royal college exams dont they? .

I think they do know where you trained, but this will not make a difference as the scoring system is nationalised.

You're raked academically into a decile by your medical school eg. 1st 10% get 10 points, then 9, 8, and so on. Someone in the 4th decile at Birmingham will have the same number of points as someone in the 4th decile from Oxford Liverpool, UCL and all other UK medical school.
You then answer questions on your application form which is the same for everyone and you score a mark for these. I think the final part is from your CV.

Everyone is then ranked based on these scores and your score will determine where you get a job.

Not too sure about speciality training but I think you're right.
Original post by coco739
thanks. A friend was looking down at me siince i have an offer from birmingham and he has one from ucl. i think that clarifys that arguement.

Whaat? :eek:
Birmingham is much better than UCL (in my opinion) and he should know by now that every medical school is EXACTLY the same, everyone graduates with an MBChB, MBBS etc and they all mean you're qualified to practice medicine. Tell him he's talking a load of bull****.
Original post by coco739
thanks. A friend was looking down at me siince i have an offer from birmingham and he has one from ucl. i think that clarifys that arguement.

birmingham is one of the best medical schools out there in my opinion! was really impressed by the medical school when i visited!
Has anyone made a Bham Medicine Freshers 2012 page ?
So after nearly 6 months of waiting, I've finally got an offer :biggrin: !!! A*AA though, but still I'm so glad this whole process is over now :redface: .
Original post by instrumentalist
So after nearly 6 months of waiting, I've finally got an offer :biggrin: !!! A*AA though, but still I'm so glad this whole process is over now :redface: .

same it was my final uni to hear from after 3 rejections
Reply 1795
same after six months I get an offer!!!!! woooooo
Original post by itsme2011
Has anyone made a Bham Medicine Freshers 2012 page ?

It is normally set up by a current student, either the vice-president social, ot the president of Medsoc. The is general page for our medsoc: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Birmingham-MedSoc/17517822788

and the medsoc website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Birmingham-MedSoc/17517822788

Have a look around, there's a copy of last year's freshers guide under publications, and the current guide to third year so you can see what clinical years are all about.

There's also info on all the associated societies and sports teams, social events etc.
Reply 1797
should we maybe start a birmingham medic offer holders facebook group for the 2012 entry? a chance to be familiar with some faces before going there??
Original post by kabi21
should we maybe start a birmingham medic offer holders facebook group for the 2012 entry? a chance to be familiar with some faces before going there??

See my post above. I'm sure a group will appear on fb after the second year exams are finished (the VPS and president are second years)
Yeh, last year we made an unofficial one between ourselves and then the VPS made an official page to let Freshers know what going on and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending