The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Escapade
What address do I send the Code of Conduct form to? It says to return it "in the envelope provided", but the envelope that was sent to me in the offer pack is only for the health declaration and immunisation forms, and it's labelled confidential. Should I just send it to the same one but in a different envelope?

Yeah I was confused by that too, I just put the code of conduct in the same envelope along with the health declaration and the immunisation form. The people in the admissions office will be able to sort it all out!
Reply 1941
I'm posting on behalf of my son - hope that isn't breaking any protocols. Can anyone help with a query about B'ham GCSE grades. My son has good GCSE's (12A* plus FSMQ)) so presumably B'ham would be a good option for him, but does anyone know if having more than the minimum 8A*s helps - do they take it into account? I'm trying to figure out whether he would be a strong applicant, or just average - I'm worried his choices are too aspirational and all extremely competitive. Thanks for any help.
Original post by HCubed
I'm posting on behalf of my son - hope that isn't breaking any protocols. Can anyone help with a query about B'ham GCSE grades. My son has good GCSE's (12A* plus FSMQ)) so presumably B'ham would be a good option for him, but does anyone know if having more than the minimum 8A*s helps - do they take it into account? I'm trying to figure out whether he would be a strong applicant, or just average - I'm worried his choices are too aspirational and all extremely competitive. Thanks for any help.

Congratulations to your son, those are some impressive GCSEs! You must be very proud.

I'm not entirely sure but I think that all applicants with above 8A*s are treated the same. i.e. you son would not have an advantage over someone who only had 9A*s. However, he would stand a good chance of getting an interview here with such a strong GCSE profile. It is at the interview stage that more attention is paid to the personal statement and and extra curricula activities, work experience and volunteering.

I understand that you're worried he's intending to apply for competitive universities, but with Medicine it is competitive everywhere. Places like Imperial and Hull-York are as competitive as each other and it is important that you son plays to his strengths.

Look for universities that like students with strong GCSEs (like Birmingham). If he does well in the UKCAT think about places that use that e.g Newcastle. Use the websites for information and read all the admissions policies well and if you have any questions email them or I'm sure someone in the medicine forum here will be able to answer your questions.

Let me know if you or your son have any more questions about Birmingham in particular and I'll do my best to answer them.
Reply 1943
Thank you very much - good advice.
Original post by coco739
Can someone please reply to my earlier post. I dont want to miss the deadline.thanks

Medical School
The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT

This will probably do. Like I said above once they have it they're be able to figure out which documents need to go where.
Original post by coco739
thank you !!!

No problemo. Currently sat at home, bored because I'm on holiday and my brothers/friends all have exams. But, two of my best friends finish next week and my bf comes home from a year in France. And I'm the vocal coach for FOOTLOOSE. Good times :biggrin:
Original post by My-My-My
No problemo. Currently sat at home, bored because I'm on holiday and my brothers/friends all have exams. But, two of my best friends finish next week and my bf comes home from a year in France. And I'm the vocal coach for FOOTLOOSE. Good times :biggrin:

And you've passed 3rd year :P
Original post by tomtom415
And you've passed 3rd year :P

And that. And it was my 21st on Thursday so I've been spoilt rotten. AND my mum has booked us tickets to see Mamma Mia! in the west end. Get IN. :nutcase:
And that. And it was my 21st on Thursday so I've been spoilt rotten. AND my mum has booked us tickets to see Mamma Mia! in the west end. Get IN. :nutcase:

Seems like life is good for you then :smile: have they given you any work over the summer?
Seems like life is good for you then :smile: have they given you any work over the summer?

I've got one essay on social theory and health to write but it's only 3000 words and I've done most of the reading so should only take a couple of days...
Wow you guys must be very smart to go to Birmingham. Wish I had the grades.:smile:
Original post by Future_Dr
Wow you guys must be very smart to go to Birmingham. Wish I had the grades.:smile:

Everyone wanting to study medicine now needs 3As at A levels, so we're no smarter than anyone else.
I've got one essay on social theory and health to write but it's only 3000 words and I've done most of the reading so should only take a couple of days...

Hah, 'only' :P I'm currently used to doing 400 word French essays! But yeah, that doesn't seem bad :smile: how much stuff did you get over the previous 2 summers?
Hah, 'only' :P I'm currently used to doing 400 word French essays! But yeah, that doesn't seem bad :smile: how much stuff did you get over the previous 2 summers?

3000 is nothing. I've got friends doing 15,000 word dissertations and if I intercalate it'll be 10,000 words.

After 1st and 2nd year there isn't any work in the summer (unless you have re-sits) so you have a good 2-3 months off.
Everyone wanting to study medicine now needs 3As at A levels, so we're no smarter than anyone else.

yeah but there is a threshold GCSE system for birmingham.
3000 is nothing. I've got friends doing 15,000 word dissertations and if I intercalate it'll be 10,000 words.

After 1st and 2nd year there isn't any work in the summer (unless you have re-sits) so you have a good 2-3 months off.

How does that work? What sort of essays do you have to write in med school?

Well Technically they also ask for A*AA now aswell, and a minimum of 7 A*s at GCSE...but they also don't need the ukcat so I guess in that sense it balances out and you're right :smile:
yeah but there is a threshold GCSE system for birmingham.

True, but many people don't know they want to study medicine at that stage. And surely A levels supersede GCSEs?

How does that work? What sort of essays do you have to write in med school?

In the second and third year there are special study modules and they are assessed by essay. You get to study a topic that would not normally be covered in the standard curriculum eg. Medicine and music, Law, Literature, Health economics, dissection. I did my 2nd year project on "Drama and Medicine" and this year Social Theory and Health in which I'm looking at whether there is a true glass ceiling for female surgeons and if there is whether it's self imposed.
True, but many people don't know they want to study medicine at that stage. And surely A levels supersede GCSEs?

In the second and third year there are special study modules and they are assessed by essay. You get to study a topic that would not normally be covered in the standard curriculum eg. Medicine and music, Law, Literature, Health economics, dissection. I did my 2nd year project on "Drama and Medicine" and this year Social Theory and Health in which I'm looking at whether there is a true glass ceiling for female surgeons and if there is whether it's self imposed.

Can you do anything related to languages?
Can you do anything related to languages?

Can't remember seeing anything like that, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending