The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
susiemakemeblue
:ditto:

The wonderful thing about GCSEs is that if you absolutely work your arse off for the last few months, you can turn around quite substantially. You have five months ahead of you and you're too young for pubs and clubs to be distracting you in the evenings, so what have you got to lose? Just pull the plug on the TV/playstation and work solidly every night. You could still get top grades at this point.
agreed it may sound seriously daunting and mates may be sayin arr forget it come out but just think if you work solidly now you can turn around those grades and then you a 3month summer holiday ahead in whihc you can do anything you want, look at it that way if it seems really daunting.
mtbab
agreed it may sound seriously daunting and mates may be sayin arr forget it come out but just think if you work solidly now you can turn around those grades and then you a 3month summer holiday ahead in whihc you can do anything you want, look at it that way if it seems really daunting.

Loads of people my age aren't even in touch with the people they were mates with when they were 15/16 anyway. GCSEs are for life, not just for a year or two. :biggrin:
Yeah - was in a rather bad position when I was sitting for my GCSEs. Basically plugged away at past papers and revision and bumped in total 15 grades over 12 subjects even after bunking way way too many physics lessons. I hated physics. Still do! Hehe.... my physics teacher hated me and I hated him. Enemies till the end - it felt good to rub in my A* at the guy's face on results day; the guy who predicted me a C.

Without sounding patronising, pushing yourself to your max not only gives you the best chance of doing well - you can also wholeheartedly feel no regret come results day, seeing as you gave it all you had.

Hope all goes well with it. :smile:
Reply 23
^ I also hated physics:P

During your 3 month summer holiday get work experience?
This is all slightly worrying for me. I didn't do as well as I could have during my GCSE year's but to avoid sounding cliché it was for no fault of my own. I've been suffering with Chronic Fatigue quite badly recently so it's been a bit of a struggle. I've only got 1 A, 2 B's, rest C's and 1 G. But no that I am at A level's I'm predicted A's and one B. Will this make Applying for law difficult? I'm currently doing Applied ICT, English Lit and Lang, Governement & Politics and Sociology.
astheniaxgirl
This is all slightly worrying for me. I didn't do as well as I could have during my GCSE year's but to avoid sounding cliché it was for no fault of my own. I've been suffering with Chronic Fatigue quite badly recently so it's been a bit of a struggle. I've only got 1 A, 2 B's, rest C's and 1 G. But no that I am at A level's I'm predicted A's and one B. Will this make Applying for law difficult? I'm currently doing Applied ICT, English Lit and Lang, Governement & Politics and Sociology.

If you have an actual medical condition that has affected your grades, you can often include information to explain this - mitigating / extenuating circumstances I think.

I would assume your tutors write something along the lines of "she was likely to achieve X Y and Z if she had not experienced this unfortunate situation...."

Im not 100% on what happens / who qualifies but I'd look into it if I was you :wink:
Reply 26
ellewoods
If you have an actual medical condition that has affected your grades, you can often include information to explain this - mitigating / extenuating circumstances I think.

I would assume your tutors write something along the lines of "she was likely to achieve X Y and Z if she had not experienced this unfortunate situation...."

Im not 100% on what happens / who qualifies but I'd look into it if I was you :wink:

How do you explaining such mitigating/extenuating circumstances? What is the procedure? Do you explain it to the examination board? Or do you explain on UCAS?
Reply 27
There are certain subjects that will always be favoured for law like english and history but the truth is that you can get in with literally any subject. I live with a girl studying law and she did the same A-levels as me, apart from a different language (I do Biology) - Bio, chem, math + lang. If Oxford will take you without a single essay subject then so will other places
My thoughts pretty much echo what has already been said:

- work hard over the next few months and you could turn your GCSEs into As

- in terms of A level choices, choose subjects you enjoy - this will give you more of a chance of getting good grades

- in response to your question asking what others did/which Uni etc... I did Art, Maths, Law and Further Maths (obtaining A,A,A,B respectively) at A level and applied to Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Reading - I got offers from all places, and then went to Cambridge.

One thing I would say though (as I think others have mentioned) is to try and take one essay based subject as this will be a good foundation for any law degree.
Reply 29
If your not expecting very good GCSE's and you dont think u can change that then i would say you have to do traditional subjects, probs including English Lit and/or History like everyone has suggested! u do have a couple of options thou -
1) you can do your a-levels have a gap year and re-apply with awesome grades, because then your GCSE's wouldnt matter too much (they do look heavily at ur GCSE if u apply without a gap year - i got not so gud GCSE's and have had 3 rejections so far for History, even though i got 4As at as-level including 3 traditional subjects)
2) you can do a different subject at degree and do a conversion course onto law afterwards
3) you can sod the idea and pick something else! lol - harsh but u know, there are plenty of other jobs available which you would enjoy!

stud1_89
ah i c, but to b quite honest isnt it hard to get an A in English lit ?

(almost every subject is had to get an A in!)
Reply 30
thanks evry1, really appreciate all the advice. :smile: :smile:
As evry1s advised, im gonna try my hardest from now on and get the best possible GCSE grades i can. Secondly i spoke to my careers advisor/librarian, she reccomended me taking an essay based subject - history as a Alevel in addition to something such as politics, but i was thinkin i might chose 2 of my triple sciences - history,bio + chem/phys , or even history,english,business.

and the worst that could happen is i dont get chosen by a super great university, life must go on, im sure law students who dont go LSE or UCL do 'alright' in the end. :smile: :smile: :smile:
stud1_89
thanks evry1, really appreciate all the advice. :smile: :smile:
As evry1s advised, im gonna try my hardest from now on and get the best possible GCSE grades i can. Secondly i spoke to my careers advisor/librarian, she reccomended me taking an essay based subject - history as a Alevel in addition to something such as politics, but i was thinkin i might chose 2 of my triple sciences - history,bio + chem/phys , or even history,english,business.

and the worst that could happen is i dont get chosen by a super great university, life must go on, im sure law students who dont go LSE or UCL do 'alright' in the end. :smile: :smile: :smile:

In that case, if I were in your position, I would choose two essay subjects and two sciences for your AS levels (for example, history, English, chem and bio, but make sure they are subjects you enjoy) and then at the end of your first year drop the subject you think is your weakest.
Reply 32
If you dont get into a top university its not the end of the world.:/

--------------

History Politics Biology and Chemistry would be a great combination. Chemistry has something to do with Patent law doesnt it??:confused:
I agree about business. Some people think it is a mickey mouse course (rightly or wrongly). Traditional subjects tend to go down better. Chemistry is probably not in the slightest bit relevant to law, but it's a challenging, academic, widely-respected subject, and that's what universities want to see.
Reply 34
No I meant Patenting, as in when you copyright something? I can spell.
If you are doing 3 subjects I suggest you do English Language, History and another traditional subject such as Mathematics or a science for example. If you can do Critical Thinking I would advise taking it as it will help with your LNAT test, which you need to do if you want to go to one of the following Uni's to do one of the following courses.

University of Birmingham (B32)| M100, MR11, MR12, M1N1

University of Bristol (B78)| M100, MR11, MR12

University of Cambridge (C05)| M100

Durham University (D86)| M101

University of East Anglia (E14)| M100, M120, M121, M122, M123

University of Glasgow (G28)| M114, M1R7, M1R1, M121, M1R2, M122, M1R3, M1M9, M1RR, M1R4, M123, MN11, MN12, MV13, ML11, MQ13, MQ15, ML17, MV11, MV15, ML12, MR17

King's College London (K60)| M100, M121, M122

Manchester Metropolitan University (M40)| M100

University of Nottingham (N84)| M100, M1R1, M1R2

University of Oxford (O33)| M100, M120

University College London (U80)| M100, M101, M102, M141, M142, M143, M144, M145, M146

To find out more about the LNAT Click Here

To find out more about courses, course codes and institution codes Click Here

Below are two sources that list their rankings of Unis in the UK for Law in 2005.

The Times

The Guardian

I personally consider The Times as a better source. I think The Guardian include silly things in their data, such as "inclusiveness", which basically means the amount of ethnic minorities, disabled people, etc. they give offers to. I don't see how this is relevant to be honest and as a result of this The School of Oriental & African Studies is second, ahead of really strong Unis, such as Cambridge.

Hope this helps!
Reply 36
shauniemac
If you are doing 3 subjects I suggest you do English Language, History and another traditional subject such as Mathematics or a science for example. If you can do Critical Thinking I would advise taking it as it will help with your LNAT test, which you need to do if you want to go to one of the following Uni's to do one of the following courses.

University of Birmingham (B32)| M100, MR11, MR12, M1N1

University of Bristol (B78)| M100, MR11, MR12

University of Cambridge (C05)| M100

Durham University (D86)| M101

University of East Anglia (E14)| M100, M120, M121, M122, M123

University of Glasgow (G28)| M114, M1R7, M1R1, M121, M1R2, M122, M1R3, M1M9, M1RR, M1R4, M123, MN11, MN12, MV13, ML11, MQ13, MQ15, ML17, MV11, MV15, ML12, MR17

King's College London (K60)| M100, M121, M122

Manchester Metropolitan University (M40)| M100

University of Nottingham (N84)| M100, M1R1, M1R2

University of Oxford (O33)| M100, M120

University College London (U80)| M100, M101, M102, M141, M142, M143, M144, M145, M146

To find out more about the LNAT Click Here

To find out more about courses, course codes and institution codes Click Here

Below are two sources that list their rankings of Unis in the UK for Law in 2005.

The Times

The Guardian

I personally consider The Times as a better source. I think The Guardian include silly things in their data, such as "inclusiveness", which basically means the amount of ethnic minorities, disabled people, etc. they give offers to. I don't see how this is relevant to be honest and as a result of this The School of Oriental & African Studies is second, ahead of really strong Unis, such as Cambridge.

Hope this helps!

thanks i dont really understand what the Times bases its rankings on...
Reply 37
hey peeps,

dunno if its normal, but its about 3 months before we do ur GCSEs, yet the scholl has given out a ALEVEL COURSES form which we have to fill out :eek:
basically asking us to tick our 4 or 3 chosen ALEVEL choices in order of importance...wth?.....

anyways its due in 2 days, i was away when it was given out - got it yesterday, was given out 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: ......

so as many of you have advised History + English are a must, but for a third i recentley was suggested POLITICS.....is tht worth doing? or will it just look like i desperatley wanna do essay based sujects for law? Also as a possible third or even fourth ( a bit unlikely) ECONOMICS? how would that be??

[Possible choices: History,English,Politics,Economics,Geography,add appropriate]

So guys, what should i put in order of importance? 1-3/4
Reply 38
Don't know, but I've applied this year having done Geography, Economics, History and Classics at AS and dropped Geog to A2 and has all been fine...
Reply 39
1. HISTORY!
2. English Literature
3/4 Economics/Politics, I cant really see how one would be better than the other.

Theres far better subjects to do than Geography, things like Maths, a Science or a MFL will make you stand out:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending