The Student Room Group

GCSE French. Coursework moderated down unfairly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Same. I liked GCSE Spanish but I really don't think I'd be able to cope with A level Spanish. Luckily I barely just got the grade I wanted so I'm content and that's what matters...

Well, my Spanish course suffered quite heavily with 2 temporary teachers (while the main teacher was still there) and then she went on maternity leave and left us in the care of another teacher for the final exam. Ergo, I didn't expect very good grades and developed a healthy hatred for the subject. :tongue:

I'm happy with the result, but I'm not so happy that it could have been an A. Grumble grumble.
Reply 21
I did Spanish, but the same thing has happened in our case. I think the Writing was marked down too harshly :/

Happened to my class too, all the A* spanish students (including me) got put down to Bs.. really disappointed
Reply 22
I got 400/400 UMS on OCR French. :colone:

edit: loving the negs!
(edited 12 years ago)
If you have the money, I would just get it remarked since you are so close and there is very little chance you would drop down a grade (so no risk really). Also, this may not be the case in your situation but UMS does not equal raw marks normally, so if that years coursework was done really well, your UMS may be lower. But in your case, I reckon they were just marked down. Good luck!
Original post by Darren-M
Well, my Spanish course suffered quite heavily with 2 temporary teachers (while the main teacher was still there) and then she went on maternity leave and left us in the care of another teacher for the final exam. Ergo, I didn't expect very good grades and developed a healthy hatred for the subject. :tongue:

I'm happy with the result, but I'm not so happy that it could have been an A. Grumble grumble.

Oh God that sucks, I was in foundation in year 10 and so I didn't know about the basic verbs and stuff like that because my teacher sucked so bad but she was nice to me because I was the only one who listened :tongue: I know what time feels like, to have to study on your own without a good teacher. :/

Original post by s_axo
Happened to my class too, all the A* spanish students (including me) got put down to Bs.. really disappointed

Oh dear :frown: But don't worry, a B is still good! :smile:
Reply 25

Oh dear :frown: But don't worry, a B is still good! :smile:

I knoww, it's just annoying for us all! Seems like it happened to all of us aye
Hi All,

I am on Edexcel French, and all of the students in our year have had the exact same problem, no body ( as far as I know ) has got higher than a C, and on my speaking my teacher believed it was a A/B and I got a g! This has happened to many students, on all other units I got a B, and this brought down my grade to a C
Any suggestions?
Reply 27
I got 90/90 in Unit 4 :wink:
Reply 28
who is going to get their writing piece remarked?
Reply 29
Original post by Rose.1994
who is going to get their writing piece remarked?

I would definitely be doing it but I don't think it would make a difference on my overall grade. Will have to look at the boundaries and work out how many more marks I need.
Reply 30
Original post by Darren-M
I would definitely be doing it but I don't think it would make a difference on my overall grade. Will have to look at the boundaries and work out how many more marks I need.

what exam board are you on? mines AQA
Reply 31
what exam board are you on? mines AQA

I'm EDEXL, although both boards have introduced new courses this year I think (and writing is always the one that suffers).
Reply 32
That's weird, mine and my brothers both got moderated down.
This happened to us for German as well! I had all A*'s in my coursework but got severely marked down my the moderators and got an A overall as a result -_- No one in our year got an A* and i was among the only 3 people who got an A. Screw you AQA!!!
Reply 34
What was the lower boundary for the A* overall then? I got 269.
Reply 35
Original post by Ears
What was the lower boundary for the A* overall then? I got 269.

270#

I got 269 too and so did one of my friends and couple of people I have spoken to on TSR.
Hmm seems a bit suspicious that we've been moderated down to get just 1 UMS mark below A*
Reply 36
270#

I got 269 too and so did one of my friends and couple of people I have spoken to on TSR.
Hmm seems a bit suspicious that we've been moderated down to get just 1 UMS mark below A*

Yeah, that is really weird.
I want a remark. I have no idea how I go about doing this..

My brothers c/work went from an A* to a C. Either ridiculous teachers marking or exam boards being stupid.
Reply 37
Original post by Ears
Yeah, that is really weird.
I want a remark. I have no idea how I go about doing this..

My brothers c/work went from an A* to a C. Either ridiculous teachers marking or exam boards being stupid.

Same but I have no idea too.
I definitely think its the exam board not wanting us to get an A* for some reason.
Reply 38
Same but I have no idea too.
I definitely think its the exam board not wanting us to get an A* for some reason.

I reckon they only want a certain percentage of A*s so have to take some down. I'm really annoyed, I got an A* on both tests, originally had A* on both c/work and they both go moved to As. So not fair.
Reply 39
I did OCR German. Got all A*'s in everything other than writing (the coursework).

80/80 Listening
112/120 Speaking
76/80 Reading

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn!

82/120 Writing - C. lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending