The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by When you see it...
Thanks. To apply to the Cambridge course, do you have to do any aptitude tests in advance (i.e. before you apply) or can you just apply with only GCSEs and AS levels? Sorry about the questions, I don't know much about Uni applications.

Not to my knowledge; I don't know enough about applications either!
Original post by xbanksx
Not to my knowledge; I don't know enough about applications either!

That's good news, cheers.
BTW does anyone know what you need to have at GCSE to do this course at Cambridge? I know that officially they probably say that you only need C grades in English and Maths but what grades would you need to make a worthwhile application, assuming AS results are acceptable?
This thread does not seem very active, is this course not popular?
Reply 23

I believe it is a popular course- there just don't seem to be many TSR-ers posting about NatSci in comparison to say more vocational subjects like VetMed...
Original post by xbanksx
I believe it is a popular course- there just don't seem to be many TSR-ers posting about NatSci in comparison to say more vocational subjects like VetMed...

Do you not mean 'professional'? I thought vocational meant, like, business or politics.
Original post by HollowPointSmile
Hello,

I'm curious to know people who are wishing to do/are doing the Natural Sciences course and where. I hear it is a very popular course, yet I have not come across anyone who likes it!

I'm applying this year, or probably next year. So how come you decided NatSci, and where are you applying?

I'm applying to UEA, Nottingham, Bath and Leicester for NatSci
(edited 12 years ago)
Do you not mean 'professional'? I thought vocational meant, like, business or politics.

"A vocation (from the Latin verb to call), is a term for an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which they are suited, trained or qualified."

So a vocational course is one that draws the person to a specific occupation (and will qualify/train them for it).

There aren't that many universities that offer it, and so not many people have heard of it - people are more likely to go for straight physics, chem or biology (or more popular mixture courses like biochemistry).
@hassi94
Thanks for replying, I thought vocational implied it was outside of the person's main career...
I guess it doesn't really matter.
BTW does anyone know what you need to have at GCSE to do this course at Cambridge? I know that officially they probably say that you only need C grades in English and Maths but what grades would you need to make a worthwhile application, assuming AS results are acceptable?

bump
Can anyone answer this? I am thinking of starting a thread asking people this...
just signed up to tsr!
i definitely want to study natural sciences and have done for a while!
it's surprising how few replies there are on this post! i thought it was a really popular course!
Original post by fresh2death
just signed up to tsr!
it's surprising how few replies there are on this post! i thought it was a really popular course!

I know, same! I am fairly new as well.
Applying for Physical at Cambridge :biggrin:

The rest of my choices will be straight-physics or theoretical physics if the course is offered at where I want to apply.

I can almost guarantee that NatSci will be competitive this year and that the lack of posts here shouldn't get anyone excited. (Been to two summer schools at Cambridge and there are plenty of smart-asses applying)

What has everyone been doing over summer? Anyone have ideas about how to prepare for the TSA and how significant it is in comparison to the interview and UMS scores? :smile:
Reply 33
Will anyone be doing Natural Sciences at Cambridge?

There's actually an official Cambridge NatSci thread. You'll probably get more feedback there. In terms of GCSEs, Cambridge are supposedly less anal than Oxford. However, speaking to other successful applicants I'd say most have at least 8A*s. AS ums is probably a more important consideration; at a physics summer school last year an admissions tutor said that the average successful applicant had ~96% in their most relevant three ASes.

I also wouldn't worry about it not being a popular course. In terms of undergraduate numbers, Natural Sciences is the most popular course in Cambridge.
(edited 12 years ago)

Hello,

I'm curious to know people who are wishing to do/are doing the Natural Sciences course and where. I hear it is a very popular course, yet I have not come across anyone who likes it!

I'm applying this year, or probably next year. So how come you decided NatSci, and where are you applying?

Me too, with the OU!

I'm doing it for a degree! And it's quite a broad degree, which should keep things interesting and keep my options open. :smile:
I am not applying for Cambridge. I guess Natural Science is quite popular, for me , I am going to study Zoology, just hope that I get a place in the unis I have chosen :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by fresh2death
just signed up to tsr!

I know, same! I am fairly new as well.

Well, I'll jump on this bandwagon :smile: applying for physNatSci at Churchill college Cambridge :biggrin:
Original post by IchiCC
There's actually an official Cambridge NatSci thread. You'll probably get more feedback there. In terms of GCSEs, Cambridge are supposedly less anal than Oxford. However, speaking to other successful applicants I'd say most have at least 8A*s. AS ums is probably a more important consideration; at a physics summer school last year an admissions tutor said that the average successful applicant had ~96% in their most relevant three ASes.

I also wouldn't worry about it not being a popular course. In terms of undergraduate numbers, Natural Sciences is the most popular course in Cambridge.

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know whether the admissions tutor looks at GCSE grades before AS UMS scores or the other way round? Would they disregard an otherwise perfect application instantly if they saw low GCSE grades?
Thanks for the link. Does anyone know whether the admissions tutor looks at GCSE grades before AS UMS scores or the other way round? Would they disregard an otherwise perfect application instantly if they saw low GCSE grades?

Original post by Mono
Well, I'll jump on this bandwagon :smile: applying for physNatSci at Churchill college Cambridge :biggrin:

Do you mind me asking what GCSE grades and AS UMS scores you got?
I am not applying for another year and am just curious...
Reply 39

Here's a summary of how Cambridge look at GCSEs: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html. Scroll down to "2.6.4 Assessment of GCSE scores" for the relevant bit.

Do you mind me asking what GCSE grades and AS UMS scores you got?
I am not applying for another year and am just curious...

Sent you a PM :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending