The Student Room Group

WTF is wrong with psychology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Because stating the obvious is hardly deserving of a degree.
Original post by Alex-92
Oxford teaches History of Art as an undergraduate degree.

By the way I actually agree with you, with respect to Psychology. Just disagree with the argument "Respectable university teaches x, therefore x is respectable"

Surely somewhere like Oxford wouldn't sully their reputation by teaching 'soft' subjects, though.

That said, there will be a huge difference between psychology at Oxford, and somewhere else like London Met.

I'm generally of the opinion that some subjects are worth doing at good universities, but not others, and others are worth doing pretty much anywhere.
Reply 82
Because they're all evil hypnotists :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZWAQnCZ-s
Reply 83
Got slagged off by a neuroscience student the other day. Had no idea how to come back to it as we're pretty much studying the same thing, just as I psychologist, I study the applications of neuroscience, whereas they're studying the methods behind it.

So degrading when people slag off my course or any course for that matter, but I couldn't care less as I know what I want to do with it and am not going to let people's opinions of it deter me!
Reply 84
Original post by The Dynamic Uno
I just finished my Psychology A Level and I can honestly say it's rubbish. It's interesting in parts but unless you really want to go into a career in Psychology, it's all completely useless information. The exams are absolutely gash too. It's all just memory work. There is no real skill involved in the learning whatsoever. It's also very boring in parts. If I could go back in time I definitely would not have chosen it. The only reason I chose it in the first place was because I thought 'ooooh Psychology, that sounds interesting'.

And no, I don't hate it because it was 'hard' either. I got 90% in my first year but turned out with a B overall because it just got to the point where I couldn't motivate myself any more.

I don't know what psychology course you were doing. I took Psychology As a year back and I found it VERY useful.
Reply 85
Original post by morecambebay
When a psych does an experiment and they get a result of 97%, they pretend that it is true for 100%.

When a pharmicist does an experiment and they get results of 97%, they stick with the 97%.

They are different.

We are not taught to do that (once you move away from A level), why make up fake arguments? Understanding statistics is a major part of the degree programme.
Reply 86
Original post by skotch
Got slagged off by a neuroscience student the other day. Had no idea how to come back to it as we're pretty much studying the same thing, just as I psychologist, I study the applications of neuroscience, whereas they're studying the methods behind it.

So degrading when people slag off my course or any course for that matter, but I couldn't care less as I know what I want to do with it and am not going to let people's opinions of it deter me!

Studying the underlying causes etc. is much more academic than the applications..

Personally I wouldn't even regard Psychology as a science but anyway
Reply 87
Original post by Harvo
Studying the underlying causes etc. is much more academic than the applications..

Personally I wouldn't even regard Psychology as a science but anyway

Psychologists study the underlying causes of behaviours...

What would you define as a science then?
Reply 88
Original post by skotch
Psychologists study the underlying causes of behaviours...

What would you define as a science then?

Yes I realised that after I had written it, but cannot describe what I mean about the neuroscience field being more 'pure' than the psychology (and therefore more academic, IMO)

Well as a 'social science' as opposed to a natural science which people often incorrectly affiliate it with.
Original post by Jabberwox

Psychology is fun though :smile: I enjoyed it, and want to take it further at university alongside English :smile:

I see what you mean. First year I had a good teacher and a lot of friends in my class, it was fun. But second year I got moved to a different class and teacher due to a timetabling clash and it was horrid. Nothing against the teacher, I just much preferred my first teacher. Only had one friend in the new class. The work got more boring too. Second year was horrid compared to my first.

Ahhhh well.
Original post by Ollie F
I don't know what psychology course you were doing. I took Psychology As a year back and I found it VERY useful.

Well that's you then.

Out of curiosity, what did you find it useful for?
Original post by Popppppy
I don't think people are slagging off the subject so much as the hoards of people who choose it because they think they're so deep or something.
Obviously a lot of people who choose to do it, choose it for the right reasons and will do very well for themselves, but IMO it seems to be quite a "fashionable" degree right now.

Indeed. It strikes me that some people choose to study it because they don't know what else to do.
Reply 92
Original post by Harvo
Yes I realised that after I had written it, but cannot describe what I mean about the neuroscience field being more 'pure' than the psychology (and therefore more academic, IMO)

Well as a 'social science' as opposed to a natural science which people often incorrectly affiliate it with.

What's more natural than the human mind? The human mind is essentially the origin of all conscious behaviour, thus determining how and why humans act.

Edit: By conscious, I mean voluntary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by The Dynamic Uno
Well that's you then.

Out of curiosity, what did you find it useful for?

Primarily, I learnt some very good mechanisms on memory, and because there was so much to learn I got very good at them. So in effect, I learnt how to learn and I still use the same techniques.

I learnt how to question facts and figures, which is always relevant in society so it built up my cynicism.

I built up on my synthesis of information, but was already pretty good at that.

I mean I learnt those skills, and I also enjoyed learning about the topics, I found them relevant, memory in particular, but I enjoyed the topics of attachment, stress, behaviour, social influence and conformity and abnormality. They were all very interesting and I felt relevant.

I got 88% in As and then dropped it because I didn't think I could commit to the workload at A2.
Original post by Harvo

You do realise that about 70 people each year graduate from the Cambridge natural science tripos with BPS (british psychological society) accredited degrees.

Also from what i've been told many people actually find social psychology and developmental psychology harder than the biological parts of their degrees. Less pure doesn't nessesarily equal less academic, whatever you mean by academic...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by iammichealjackson
You do realise that about 70 people each year graduate from the Cambridge natural science tripos with BPS (british psychological society) accredited degrees.

Also from what i've been told many people actually find social psychology and developmental psychology harder than the biological parts of their degrees. Less pure doesn't nessesarily equal less academic, whatever you mean by academic...

Yes and Oxford don't class it as a science..
Original post by Harvo
Yes and Oxford don't class it as a science..

Sorry the A Level? Of course Oxford class psychology as a science, the names their course Experimental Psychology specifically to highlight that psychology is a science. You can study psychology as part of THE BEST science course in the UK- natural sciences tripos, so its clearly a science!
Reply 97
Original post by iammichealjackson
Sorry the A Level? Of course Oxford class psychology as a science, the names their course Experimental Psychology specifically to highlight that psychology is a science. You can study psychology as part of THE BEST science course in the UK- natural sciences tripos, so its clearly a science!

Well NO Uni class Psychology A level as a science.

Yes and you get A BA in it, not a BSci, because it is not a science..
Reply 98
I may be a little critical of AS Psychology, but that's only because I did it last year and really didn't enjoy it.
Original post by Harvo
Well NO Uni class Psychology A level as a science.

Yes and you get A BA in it, not a BSci, because it is not a science..

Well that's your opinion... Oxford say:
Undergraduate psychology at Oxford is taught as a scientific discipline, involving substantial amounts of practical work and experimentation. The course concentrates on biological, human experimental, social and developmental psychology. (Psychoanalysis and related areas are *not* taught as part of this course)
http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad

People who do Physics at Oxford also get a BA
http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates

so wey :smile:

... psychology A Level is most of the time regarded as an Art subject...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest