The Student Room Group

ASA Bans "Offensive" Advert

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14815616

Here's the advert: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-meiTg8m8bnk/TbFekB00J6I/AAAAAAAAAW4/ibCsKe7otbg/s1600/metro.gif

Why should people being offended be reason to ban something? Some people are offended by the use of the word f**k but that doesn't mean the word should be made illegal.

It's pathetic.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People are offended by the use of the word ****, which is why it isn't allowed in advertising or on television pre-watershed.

It is a little strange but hey, I'm sure plenty of Christians complain about the source of the image used in the advert as well.

Considering we get bombarded with advertising as a whole it has to be both respectful and truthful.
Reply 2
Original post by electriic_ink
Why should people being offended be reason to ban something?

So can I make an advert saying "heterosexuals/homosexuals are scum"? After all
"Why should people being offended be reason to ban something?"
Original post by Selkarn
So can I make an advert saying "heterosexuals/homosexuals are scum"? After all
"Why should people being offended be reason to ban something?"
Choosing to use the word scum is different. From a young age, we learn that scum is a pejorative word used to express your opinions of something you find despicable or worthless. Thus with this knowledge the person using it, is either completely stupid or intended to insult the person.

Using a well known religious leader to endorse a product has no real consensus in the public as being offensive and there are no laws against it. The picture isn't depicting Jesus doing anything illegal or immoral. Unless endorsing a business brand is considered immoral.

The claim to offense is what?
(edited 12 years ago)
Surely its free advertising for christendom?
What a ****ing joke.
Wasn't Jesus on O2 anyway?
Reply 7
I don't get it. How is it meant to be offensive? :confused:
Reply 8
I can see how the use of the word "miraculous" would be offensive because it would be undermining the power and importance that Jesus has for Christians. If they had just changed that word to something less obviously related, or perhaps played on the cultural aspects of Easter (Easter bunny etc) then they probably would have achieved a less insensitive ad.
And you must be so bored that you have nothing better to discuss.
Reply 10
At least the law is being consistent since an image of Mohammed wouldn't be tolerated.
They're using a well-respected person to advertise their product in a manner that alters his traditional poses. If O2 used Mohammed to advertise something, I think they'd be a few blown out stores.

Also, consider the timing of the advertisment. It was quite insensitive to the Christian faith.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hold on, isn't the main point that advertising doesn't advertise and only gives you imagery that has nothing to do with quality? Isn't that more important than the fact they had the idea to use Jesus? I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't like TV advertising.
Multiculturalism has failed.

Not sure how relevant it is to the discussion but I felt like saying it. As this is TSR I am sure I will get some pos reps for it.
Original post by The Dark Lord

I think its a better plug for Jesus than anything.
Hmm, this is from the news article.

The ASA welcomed this but said the advertisement had appeared to mock and belittle core Christian beliefs and was likely to cause serious offence.

I don't think it's that bad at all. I don't think it mocks or belittles Christianity. Furthermore, why would they be worried about this but allow atheist advertisments that start with phrases like "There probably isn't a God......"

As a side note, I don't particuarly mind those atheist advertisements, I'm just trying to determine what the difference might be.
Reply 17
I fail to understand how anyone cannot see how this could be offensive. You don't have to agree that it actually is, but it's fairly fracking obvious why it could be: It's using the image of Jesus, who it's taught was very against materialism, someone Christians see as holy, being used to plug a particular company. Around the date of a Christian celebration. Come on, people.
Original post by The Dark Lord

No, Orange. I went to the cinema with him last Wednesday. 2 for 1, even Jesus has to make savings in the current economic climate :colonhash:
catering to the blooming religious nutjobs and treating them like they're special, newsflash jesus didn't exist get over it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending