The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by MusicNow
Nah, I don't know that band. Will check them out now though!

I was about to get incredibly excited :tongue:
oh wow, i was unaware that we do not gain a bachelor of surgery at southampton
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
oh wow, i was unaware that we do not gain a bachelor of surgery at southampton

Yup, just a BM - although we get an extra BMedSc all in the space of 5 years - so that's one fewer year of the fun 9k fees
Original post by thegodofgod
Yup, just a BM - although we get an extra BMedSc all in the space of 5 years - so that's one fewer year of the fun 9k fees

Aaah well that would definitely help a lot when applying to hospitals after the degree or whatever it is
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Aaah well that would definitely help a lot when applying to hospitals after the degree or whatever it is

How so? :redface:
I thought surgical components were included in the studies as well - at least that's what the university says - and even if we graduate with just a BM, we won't be at a disadvantage in case we want to pursue a surgical career in the long run. :s-smilie:
This was raised at an open day I went to :smile: it's equivalent to BMBS, MBChB, etc :smile:
Original post by doctork2
I thought surgical components were included in the studies as well - at least that's what the university says - and even if we graduate with just a BM, we won't be at a disadvantage in case we want to pursue a surgical career in the long run. :s-smilie:

It's basically the same - if it weren't, the GMC wouldn't have accredited the course :tongue:
Reply 388

Original post by Blink1632
Thanks. I tried this link earlier and it wont seem to open. It must be my laptop!

Maybe because it's the 2009 selection policy???:confused:
Reply 390

Cheers for the link!

So, the application procedure infers that they send out offers/rejections between December 2011 - March 2012?
Reply 391
Original post by adsyrah
Cheers for the link!

So, the application procedure infers that they send out offers/rejections between December 2011 - March 2012?

Yeah that seems about right... They make no mention of the top 10% of 100 applications being selected either. Sounds like they look at applications one by one making decisions as they go? Or is that just me hoping...
Reply 392
Anyone heard anything from Southampton yet?
And what's this about not getting a BS? I didn't know that! :s-smilie: can we still do surgery at the end of the course? Someone explain please!
Haven't heard a THING from Southampton... EVER. This is so frustrating :frown:
I hope they know of my existance in their systems...
In the admissions policy it says that school leavers rarely get interviewed....by this does it mean people that have got their Alevels and didn't get in last year....I know sounds like a really thick question, but i just want to clarify. Thanks
Original post by lizette
No they don't interview at all for the BM5 course. Re-applicants are treated the same as everyone else. They only interview for the BM6 course.

They interview international applicants as well.
Reply 396
apparently this ties with accounting and finance as the most boring career/subject imaginable.

don't. do it.

EDIT: the above is referring to Pharmacy, not med.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ilyking
apparently this ties with accounting and finance as the most boring career/subject imaginable.

don't. do it.

Why?
Reply 398
Original post by thegodofgod
Why?

stupid me. I thought this was a pharmacy thread!

don't worry, I'll kill myself, Seppuku!
Original post by lizette
Interesting - my sister says there is a rumour going round the medical school that they are considering introducing interviewing for the BM5 next year.

That's very true... I have actually heard that Southampton tried to interview candidates starting from this year... but too bad that didn't work out.

Fortunately for internationals, they've always interviewed us... hahaha :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending