Reply 80
i want to work at goldman sachs
Reply 81
Original post by arshadb
i want to work at the goldman sachs

Ftfy.
Reply 82
Original post by infernalcradle
why doesn't she start trading for herself then?

sure, she wouldn't be making millions and it would take a while before she started making lots of money daily....

but if she has the ability, she could do it...

Investment bankers aren't traders
Original post by 3nTr0pY
I'm Cambridge and I reckon I'd find a 'normal' job too boring and not intellectually challenging enough for me. However, out of necessity/wanting a good salary I might have to apply for one at some point in the future. However, compared to someone more down to earth I'm worried I'd be worse at the job. I reckon that, instead of doing what I'm told, I'd be perennially coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives.

I just think that certain types of minds work better in different situations. Someone who's excellent at academic work in Oxbridge might not be able to find an outlet for that talent in a real job, making them appear mediocre.

Oh my god, shut up.
Reply 84
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Oh my god, shut up.

They see me trollin'. They hatin'. :wink:
Reply 85
A couple of my friends are unemployed at the moment, or taking a break from the jobhunt. A lot more of my friends (generally the sciencey ones) are employed in cool jobs, or have gone on to do PhD's.

I myself started a research internship whilst looking for jobs (and the job-seeking process is immensely draining/depressing). But had an offer the other day for a great job, albeit starting in September, so things are looking up!
(edited 12 years ago)
You: I went to Cambri-

Interviewer: YOU'RE HIRED!
Reply 87
Hi,
This has been a real eye opener for me personally, I never went to any Uni and always assumed that Oxbridge graduates were 9/10 guaranteed a top career.
I could not even pass o-level English and Maths but I am earning £50k a year and my brother who could not even pass his CSE is on more.

I feel the bottom line is that you need to be street wise and lucky as it appears that many graduates are in the same boat as their friends with good qualifications being in abundance these days without the jobs to warrant them.

Anyway, I must say that I have the utmost respect for all you guys and I hope you all find the careers that you have worked so hard for.
Finally I can only say that ' life is not fair' and that we should make the most of the hands we are dealt.
Reply 88
hahahahahaha! My husband completed a doctorate in History from Oxford 4 years ago. He has applied for more than 700 academic jobs in that time, had FOUR (count 'em!) interviews, and if he had a fiver for every time he was told he was a 'strong candidate and bound to find something soon', we'd be millionnaires. But he doesn't and we aren't. Luckily my degree is numerate so I've got some part time stuff that just about pays the bills (may I point out my degree is also a doctorate from Oxford, and I can only find part time work making spreadsheets for a friend's business for a tenner an hour...).

The idea that an Oxbridge degree guarantees a job makes me want to vomit my bitter laughter all down the front of my threadbare 'interview' suit.
Reply 89
Original post by 3nTr0pY
I'm Cambridge and I reckon I'd find a 'normal' job too boring and not intellectually challenging enough for me. However, out of necessity/wanting a good salary I might have to apply for one at some point in the future. However, compared to someone more down to earth I'm worried I'd be worse at the job. I reckon that, instead of doing what I'm told, I'd be perennially coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives.

I just think that certain types of minds work better in different situations. Someone who's excellent at academic work in Oxbridge might not be able to find an outlet for that talent in a real job, making them appear mediocre.

I realise many people have commented on your supposed arrogance, but can I just say, you're not alone, and you're absolutely correct. I got a job and was fired because instead of doing what I was told, I was coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company, and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives. What you imagine might happen... was EXACTLY what happened to me. What it was, was that the job did not challenge me intellectually. Sorry people, if that sounds arrogant, but why should I lie about being intelligent? If you are tall you're allowed to say so. Why should a certain brain configuration be different than a certain body configuration?

After all, it's not like being intelligent is something to boast about. It's more something you admit to, in a small voice, while looking ashamedly at your feet. It immediately makes employers run screaming for the hills, knowing that you are going to be a manager's nightmare. So less of the 'oh stop being so full of yourself', please; this person is NOT full of themself, they are admitting to a severe disability; the trait of being completely unemployable.
Original post by mellycat
hahahahahaha! My husband completed a doctorate in History from Oxford 4 years ago. He has applied for more than 700 academic jobs in that time, had FOUR (count 'em!) interviews, and if he had a fiver for every time he was told he was a 'strong candidate and bound to find something soon', we'd be millionnaires. But he doesn't and we aren't. Luckily my degree is numerate so I've got some part time stuff that just about pays the bills (may I point out my degree is also a doctorate from Oxford, and I can only find part time work making spreadsheets for a friend's business for a tenner an hour...).

The idea that an Oxbridge degree guarantees a job makes me want to vomit my bitter laughter all down the front of my threadbare 'interview' suit.

Not sure if you're genuine or what, but 700 academic jobs!? Do you think maybe he should try something else?

And I am sorry but if you have a PhD from Oxford in a numerate subject, then you could get better full time employment than what you have now. The economy is bad, but it's not that bad. If you can't get a job it's either because you're not really trying or there's something else going on.
Reply 91
My bad, that should have read 300 not 700, and around 50 of them were non-academic, but I totally agree he needs to give up on the idea of teaching history!!

As to my employment, I had a postdoc for a year but I was asked to leave because I was 'too creative', so I guess my subject (psychology; only a semi-science) wasn't numerative enough for the numerate jobs!
Reply 92
I realise many people have commented on your supposed arrogance, but can I just say, you're not alone, and you're absolutely correct. I got a job and was fired because instead of doing what I was told, I was coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company, and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives. What you imagine might happen... was EXACTLY what happened to me. What it was, was that the job did not challenge me intellectually. Sorry people, if that sounds arrogant, but why should I lie about being intelligent? If you are tall you're allowed to say so. Why should a certain brain configuration be different than a certain body configuration?

After all, it's not like being intelligent is something to boast about. It's more something you admit to, in a small voice, while looking ashamedly at your feet. It immediately makes employers run screaming for the hills, knowing that you are going to be a manager's nightmare. So less of the 'oh stop being so full of yourself', please; this person is NOT full of themself, they are admitting to a severe disability; the trait of being completely unemployable.

Hurm... I can see where you're coming from; but it doesn't make you a 'team player' does it if you keep on challenging the 'boss'? Even-though I 'feel' that my bosses are wrong, I usually would make way for their opinions to go through so that we could have a fair discussion, and not act like a total ass.

Even-though you 'feel' that your decision is the most effective decision, that doesn't make it correct does it? Even-though I myself 'feel' that my decision is correct, I would usually take both opinions on board; that would be fairer and we'll see who's wrong who's right in future - and if one of you is wrong, then it's fine; learn something. At least you've discussed and understood the situation well.
Reply 93
I completely agree and that's what I always tried to do but they said (I'm quoting here)I was too creative and that I thought outside the box while they needed an anal retentive (the boss's exact words!) I guess certain types of personalities just dont fit into an office environment... I really did try, and wasn't being an ass! They said I better go be a writer instead of using numbers as you need to be really detail oriented and I just wasn't.

So Oxbridge/intelligence/imagination/whatever it is(!) is not always an asset! :frown:
Reply 94
I completely agree and that's what I always tried to do but they said (I'm quoting here)I was too creative and that I thought outside the box while they needed an anal retentive (the boss's exact words!) I guess certain types of personalities just dont fit into an office environment... I really did try, and wasn't being an ass! They said I better go be a writer instead of using numbers as you need to be really detail oriented and I just wasn't.

So Oxbridge/intelligence/imagination/whatever it is(!) is not always an asset! :frown:

It is in research, and I'm surprised that your husband didn't find anything. However, if he's trying to get into teaching, most universities will want experienced (i.e. higher than postdoc) staff to do anything more than tutorials. What's his publication/employment history like?

Admittedly, now isn't the greatest time for Arts and Humanities funding.
Reply 95
Original post by SunderX
It is in research, and I'm surprised that your husband didn't find anything. However, if he's trying to get into teaching, most universities will want experienced (i.e. higher than postdoc) staff to do anything more than tutorials. What's his publication/employment history like?

Admittedly, now isn't the greatest time for Arts and Humanities funding.

You're so right. He's published a few articles and a book, and done lots of part time teaching. Are you in the UK? He had huge trouble finding anything above tutorials in the UK, but we now live in the US (he's american), where they are mostly hiring part time people to do lectures, because they can't afford the fulltime staff (they'd then have to pay for health insurance etc, and part time people do more work for much less money, so...) so he doesn't have a problem getting teaching work (so we're not starving!), but it would be nice if more places had the money to fund a fulltime position, as health insurance is ridiculously expensive when not subsidised by your employer.

My friends tell me that my experience with my post doc at Wash U was not normal, and that creativity/thinking outside the box SHOULD be an asset! So I'll keep trying! :biggrin: Thanks for your comment

I would like to know what the numbers would be like with oxbridge unemployment, when UNDERemployment was taken into consideration, ie people who can only get part time stuff. It's been my experience that two parttime jobs does not equal one fulltime job in terms of PAY, though the HOURS can be more than one fulltime job! Anyone else having (or have friends having) this experience?
Reply 96
You're so right. He's published a few articles and a book, and done lots of part time teaching. Are you in the UK? He had huge trouble finding anything above tutorials in the UK, but we now live in the US (he's american), where they are mostly hiring part time people to do lectures, because they can't afford the fulltime staff (they'd then have to pay for health insurance etc, and part time people do more work for much less money, so...) so he doesn't have a problem getting teaching work (so we're not starving!), but it would be nice if more places had the money to fund a fulltime position, as health insurance is ridiculously expensive when not subsidised by your employer.

My friends tell me that my experience with my post doc at Wash U was not normal, and that creativity/thinking outside the box SHOULD be an asset! So I'll keep trying! :biggrin: Thanks for your comment

I would like to know what the numbers would be like with oxbridge unemployment, when UNDERemployment was taken into consideration, ie people who can only get part time stuff. It's been my experience that two parttime jobs does not equal one fulltime job in terms of PAY, though the HOURS can be more than one fulltime job! Anyone else having (or have friends having) this experience?

You kind of have to work your way up to a lectureship however, by rising through the ranks (or being a brilliant researcher). There's many ways of teaching without the glamour of a title.

American healthcare is a shambles, and it's a bit **** for universities to deliberately underemploy just to avoid insurance. When does the Affordable Healthcare Act kick in?

In my experience, the Cambridge graduates I know that have trouble finding work are the arts/humanities students that refuse to give up on the idea of finding a job with 'artistic integrity'. Some of them eventually found things, but there just aren't enough curator/editor/television producer/theatre management positions to go around.
Reply 97
Not convinced mellycat is real- no psychology postgrad would refer to psychology as a 'semi-science'
Reply 98
Original post by Lalique1
Not convinced mellycat is real- no psychology postgrad would refer to psychology as a 'semi-science'

haha, sadly, am indeed real. I think it's fair to call psychology a semi-science, as some universities class it under sciences, some humanities, and some social-sciences. Psych research is mostly done by getting people to fill out questionnaires. It's certainly not like the 'hard' sciences; I've never picked up a test tube or used a microscope! My research obviously required data analysis skills but that's as close as I've come to feeling sciencey :smile:
Reply 99
haha, sadly, am indeed real. I think it's fair to call psychology a semi-science, as some universities class it under sciences, some humanities, and some social-sciences. Psych research is mostly done by getting people to fill out questionnaires. It's certainly not like the 'hard' sciences; I've never picked up a test tube or used a microscope! My research obviously required data analysis skills but that's as close as I've come to feeling sciencey :smile:

I was under the impression Oxford psychologists did a lot of animal experimentation too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending