The Student Room Group

Unemployable graduate

I am just gonna go on a rant now hope you don't mind.

I f****g hate everything. Hate my previous teachers, hate this f*****g university AND HATE MY F*****G DEGREE. I wasted 21 years of my live in school only to leave this degraded piece of **** university only to be unemployed and left with nothing. Why couldn't I just do an apprenticeship or try to get into an entry level role or a ****** warehouse and worked my way up??? I don't ****** know, because I was dumbass that's why. The education system is so f****d up that a lot of students leave school, sixth form or university and they end up doing sh!t jobs anyway. The reality is that there are plenty of smartasses these days who finish Cambridge, Imperial or any RG universities with great degrees and then when they finish they're all in competition with each other and it makes it impossible to actually get a job anywhere. Even graduate roles that do not require much experience are f****g impossible to get into because HR managers have 200 applications to look through and they're always gonna want someone who developed a f****g quantum machine. Why did I waste my time with this piece of s*** education only to realise that I never had a chance to get a grad job anyway because of the competition. A complete waste of my f****g time.

Something has to be done about this dumb education system. It should be much easier to get into a career that students want to get into. And to anyone who says BLAHBLAHBLAH, I DiD An InTeRnShIp and GoT oFfErred A job. Well, well done. But guess what, not everyone is going to be as lucky getting an internship in the first place because I tried and I know that some of my friends tried. The irony is that you need internship experience to get into graduate roles, but the funny thing is that internships are competitive themselves. I applied to 20 internships and didn't even get an interview for one of them. Absolute ****. It is very tough for graduates these days. For some graduate schemes you get like 100 applicants per place when they only have 2 positions available. It's f*****g insane.

You waste 3 years of your life and wasting a lot of money for a degree which you realise is absolutely sh!t. I wish UK was a f*****g communist country like Soviet Russia used to be. When my parents were young and they lived in Russia, they got an apartment for free and they got a job offer immediately after finishing education. These days, you finish education and you're left to rot in hell and the government doesn't give a sh!t about you apart from giving Universal Credit or Job Seekers Allowance. Instead of giving people sh!t loans or worthless piece of **** money how about you f*****g create better job opportunities for people who actually worked their a** off for a degree which they now realise is worthless because of the insane competition.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username6000099
I am just gonna go on a rant now hope you don't mind.

I f****g hate everything. Hate my previous teachers, hate this f*****g university AND HATE MY F*****G DEGREE. I wasted 21 years of my live in school only to leave this degraded piece of **** university only to be unemployed and left with nothing. Why couldn't I just do an apprenticeship or try to get into an entry level role or a ****** warehouse and worked my way up??? I don't ****** know, because I was dumbass that's why. The education system is so f****d up that a lot of students leave school, sixth form or university and they end up doing sh!t jobs anyway. The reality is that there are plenty of smartasses these days who finish Cambridge, Imperial or any RG universities with great degrees and then when they finish they're all in competition with each other and it makes it impossible to actually get a job anywhere. Even graduate roles that do not require much experience are f****g impossible to get into because HR managers have 200 applications to look through and they're always gonna want someone who developed a f****g quantum machine. Why did I waste my time with this piece of s*** education only to realise that I never had a chance to get a grad job anyway because of the competition. A complete waste of my f****g time.

Something has to be done about this dumb education system. It should be much easier to get into a career that students want to get into. And to anyone who says BLAHBLAHBLAH, I DiD An InTeRnShIp and GoT oFfErred A job. Well, well done. But guess what, not everyone is going to be as lucky getting an internship in the first place because I tried and I know that some of my friends tried. The irony is that you need internship experience to get into graduate roles, but the funny thing is that internships are competitive themselves. I applied to 20 internships and didn't even get an interview for one of them. Absolute ****. It is very tough for graduates these days. For some graduate schemes you get like 100 applicants per place when they only have 2 positions available. It's f*****g insane.

You waste 3 years of your life and wasting a lot of money for a degree which you realise is absolutely sh!t. I wish UK was a f*****g communist country like Soviet Russia used to be. When my parents were young and they lived in Russia, they got an apartment for free and they got a job offer immediately after finishing education. These days, you finish education and you're left to rot in hell and the government doesn't give a sh!t about you apart from giving Universal Credit or Job Seekers Allowance. Instead of giving people sh!t loans or worthless piece of **** money how about you f*****g create better job opportunities for people who actually worked their a** off for a degree which they now realise is worthless because of the insane competition.

I'm not going to read the full rant, because I get the point from just the first paragraph. You are right about some things and wrong about others. There is an oversupply of graduates, because of easy-to-borrow student loans (by which I mean that you don't need any credit score whatsoever, to borrow £50K in student loans). That's a separate problem which none of us on this thread will fix, although on the point where you say "Instead of giving people sh!t loans or worthless piece of **** money"... nobody forces those students to take those loans.

I've been supervising some summer placement students & even graduates during the past few months in my job. We don't expect much from them. Just willingness to learn & ask questions, and for them to take initiative.

Most employers are realistic enough not to expect a prospective graduate whom they are paying £20-£30k a year, to have built a "quantum machine". They barely expect anything, in fact, in terms of knowledge & experience. They assess you far more by your personality in job interviews, than they do on your competence. They want to understand if you have a good work ethic, if you work well with others, if you are conscientious, if you learn from mistakes, if you are reliable, etc. It's not a coincidence though that people with those personality traits, will already have acquired a reasonable amount of experience, which will show on their CV.

What I am saying, is that it has a lot more to do with your attitude, than your experience, when you are starting out. The attitude that comes across from your post... isn't very good.

Several of those students I spoke with actually got offers from several employers, despite having relatively little experience. But they're so easy to work with, that it's really not surprising that they got several offers. They listen, they learn, they're punctual, and do what they said they would do, or at least have good reasons (instead of excuses) why they couldn't and they just need some help or extra training first.
What was your course?

I didn’t go to a particularly high ranking university (University of West England, Bristol) but I did well enough (I’ll admit a 2.2). Not a fantastic job afterwards but by no means unemployable as my first job was around 28-29k a year if you include night and weekend enhancements.

It’s not what you get but what you do with it. I was going to do a masters this year but I had a golden opportunity land in my lap about 2 weeks ago meaning I ended up deferring for a year (I was offered my healthcare professions council certificate as I need that to get into the high ranking jobs after being employed for around a year and a half at a hospital).

So, instead of ranting, it might be easier to seek advice from those in your profession for advice. 🙂

EDIT:
Before I forget, my degree was in Biomedical Science and I graduated shortly before the plague hit (2018). That being said, it took me around a little over a year to find a job as I went into teaching (PGCE course) but very quickly quit as it was horrible. So around 3 months after leaving the course, that’s when I found the job. 🙂
(edited 1 year ago)
You should have given up with university when you had the chance. Bricklayers earn more than most graduates these days.
(edited 1 year ago)
Sorry you feel so very fed up. I do understand why.

Congratulations on getting your degree. This is an achievement to be proud of.

Now the uni studying is over you have time to take a step back. Is the career you want looking too competitive to get in? If yes, then consider alternatives. Also, would it be helpful to gain an extra qualifications?

Never give up applying for jobs. Make sure your application highlights your enthusiasm, capacity for hard work, team working experience, etc

Recruiters like to see evidence of resilience and a willingness to learn new things. Some places will give feedback after rejections if you ask.

Job hunting can get you down but one day you will be in the right place at the right time.
Apply for some Apprenticeships to get some experience
Original post by achieve526kk
Apply for some Apprenticeships to get some experience

It’s almost impossible to gain an apprenticeship if you have a degree level qualification as you’ll be overqualified for most if not all apprenticeships but it’s not a diabolical suggestion.
Depending on the area you’re interested in, you can volunteer for a company. I was considering volunteering I am NHS hospital lab if I received the training if you can afford the travel to and from the hospital. They may have eventually hired me but j managed a job before I got to the option to volunteer stage.
What is it that you want? Did you ask for feedback on your applications? Or did you fail at the first hurdle on psychometric tests? Did you do practice ones?

But yes, of course it's competitive. I think sixth forms/colleges let students down on this front by not being honest and telling them getting a degree is the easy part - getting work experience is the hard, and most important part.

For the most part it's just doing well in psychometric tests, maybe a technical test depending on the job which can be done after maybe a month or two of again doing practice ones, and an assessment centre which also can be practiced.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by NonIndigenous
I'm not going to read the full rant, because I get the point from just the first paragraph. You are right about some things and wrong about others. There is an oversupply of graduates, because of easy-to-borrow student loans (by which I mean that you don't need any credit score whatsoever, to borrow £50K in student loans). That's a separate problem which none of us on this thread will fix, although on the point where you say "Instead of giving people sh!t loans or worthless piece of **** money"... nobody forces those students to take those loans.

I've been supervising some summer placement students & even graduates during the past few months in my job. We don't expect much from them. Just willingness to learn & ask questions, and for them to take initiative.

Most employers are realistic enough not to expect a prospective graduate whom they are paying £20-£30k a year, to have built a "quantum machine". They barely expect anything, in fact, in terms of knowledge & experience. They assess you far more by your personality in job interviews, than they do on your competence. They want to understand if you have a good work ethic, if you work well with others, if you are conscientious, if you learn from mistakes, if you are reliable, etc. It's not a coincidence though that people with those personality traits, will already have acquired a reasonable amount of experience, which will show on their CV.

What I am saying, is that it has a lot more to do with your attitude, than your experience, when you are starting out. The attitude that comes across from your post... isn't very good.

Several of those students I spoke with actually got offers from several employers, despite having relatively little experience. But they're so easy to work with, that it's really not surprising that they got several offers. They listen, they learn, they're punctual, and do what they said they would do, or at least have good reasons (instead of excuses) why they couldn't and they just need some help or extra training first.

You are right about the fact that attitude is important, but think about it this way. If you have 100 graduates to choose from and they all had amazing attitude who are you gonna choose? I love technology and I have a strong willingness to learn, but guess what? So does every other graduate. The truth is that if they had 100 graduates for only like 2 places, what else are they gonna look at? They're gonna look at your grades, your projects, your skills and experience. I have applied for something like 50 graduate jobs by now and received 0 offers and I graduated last month. I don't know if you understand the recruitment process, but it is a very cruel, long and tiring process. From what I know, the recruiter only has 30 seconds to skim over your CV, which is why your CV should be as short as possible but also concise enough to get the gist of your motivations and skills. This is what a typical day looks like as a recruiter. You have 200 CVs in front of you and you sit down with your cup of coffee Monday morning and start skimming over the CVs like it's just another day. The ones that seem like suitable candidates are put to one side and the ones that are sh!t are put in the bin I presume. I am not a recruiter so don't quote me on this, but the point is that when you have 200 or even 300 candidates, it's gonna be f****g hard to stand out. I can tell you that. I really wish that it was as easy as being punctual, having a good attitude and having a good work ethic, but the reality is that everyone does. Everyone worked their a** off to get a good degree, everyone shows they're punctual by attending work or lectures and when you have 200 excellent candidates who have similar traits you're gonna start getting very picky and only select the most suitable ones e.g the ones with plenty of internships and first class degrees etc and the ones who display amazing communication skills during the interviews.

You can try to criticise my attitude, but I am just p****d off and hopefully, you understand why I am p***d off. Obviously, in interviews I would stay professional and you would never hear what I just said in an actual interview.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
What was your course?

I didn’t go to a particularly high ranking university (University of West England, Bristol) but I did well enough (I’ll admit a 2.2). Not a fantastic job afterwards but by no means unemployable as my first job was around 28-29k a year if you include night and weekend enhancements.

It’s not what you get but what you do with it. I was going to do a masters this year but I had a golden opportunity land in my lap about 2 weeks ago meaning I ended up deferring for a year (I was offered my healthcare professions council certificate as I need that to get into the high ranking jobs after being employed for around a year and a half at a hospital).

So, instead of ranting, it might be easier to seek advice from those in your profession for advice. 🙂

EDIT:
Before I forget, my degree was in Biomedical Science and I graduated shortly before the plague hit (2018). That being said, it took me around a little over a year to find a job as I went into teaching (PGCE course) but very quickly quit as it was horrible. So around 3 months after leaving the course, that’s when I found the job. 🙂

Hello,

I studied an engineering degree. I did manage to get a 2.1 which is alright, but even with a 2.1, you're not guaranteed any success. I have graduated last month and I am still unemployed. I am just about to rip my hair out because it's actually hard finding anything suitable and also because of the huge competition in some of the places. I am also thinking about doing a masters degree to upskill a little, but considering how much time and money I've wasted with my bachelors, I don't know if the masters degree is also worth it. Even with a STEM degree it's hard finding any work.

The problem is that there's too many graduates and not enough places for everyone. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the teaching course. I am going to be honest but I would also hate it because teaching is one of those jobs I would never want to do. I could maybe do it at sixth form or university, but never primary school teaching or GCSE teaching. I don't really understand what excites teachers about explaining things to people who don't care and don't listen to them. I remember the horrible days at secondary school when I had my KS3 science teacher. It was absolute chaos.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username6000057
Hello,

I studied an engineering degree. I did manage to get a 2.1 which is alright, but even with a 2.1, you're not guaranteed any success. I have graduated last month and I am still unemployed. I am just about to rip my hair out because it's actually hard finding anything suitable and also because of the huge competition in some of the places. I am also thinking about doing a masters degree to upskill a little, but considering how much time and money I've wasted with my bachelors, I don't know if the masters degree is also worth it. Even with a STEM degree it's hard finding any work.

The problem is that there's too many graduates and not enough places for everyone. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the teaching course. I am going to be honest but I would also hate it because teaching is one of those jobs I would never want to do. I could maybe do it at sixth form or university, but never at primary school teaching or GCSE teaching. I don't really understand what excites teachers about explaining things to people who don't care and don't listen to them. I remember the horrible days at secondary school when I had my KS3 science teacher. It was absolute chaos.

Don't pay or borrow for an MSc. It is pointless and will add little unless the career you want to get into actually explicitly demands it.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Don't pay or borrow for an MSc. It is pointless and will add little unless the career you want to get into actually explicitly demands it.

Thank you for letting me know. I am interested in some software development roles. However, I have very little programming experience and I feel that I am getting destroyed in the competition, especially by the people who studied computer science and know more about software development. That's why I thought that doing an MSc in computer science or computer engineering would be helpful.

The problem that I have is that most graduate software engineering jobs say that they want experience with C++ / C / Java or Python. When they say they want experience what kind of experience are they looking for. Are they looking for work experience or university experience? I have a bit of coding experience at sixth form and university, but I have no experience developing software. Also, a lot of them do ask for a BSc or MSc in computer science or related. I feel that aeronautics and astronautics is not really appropriate for these jobs which is why I was thinking of doing an MSc in computer science.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for letting me know. I am interested in some software development roles. However, I have very little to no programming experience. That's why I thought that doing an MSc in computer science or computer engineering would be helpful.

The problem that I have is that most graduate software engineering jobs say that they want experience with C++ / C / Java or Python. When they say they want experience what kind of experience are they looking for. Are they looking for work experience or university experience? Also, a lot of them do ask for a BSc or MSc in computer science or related. I feel that aeronautics and astronautics is not really appropriate for these jobs which is why I was thinking of doing an MSc in computer science.

Unnecessary, especially for Computer Science.

Ignore the wishlist of languages and technologies on most job listings, especially for graduate positions. They are written by HR and they have no idea. What matters more is your knowledge and application of data structures and algorithms which you can learn online for free. The larger companies will test you on these using automated tests which you can practice by doing Leetcode/Hackerrank questions. The final round interviews will also be nearly identical but you'll have a software engineer probing you more on your solution. Typical stuff like time/space complexity.

None of this requires an MSc in CS - in fact, an MSc in CS will teach you nearly nothing relevant to pass the interview loop. The only potential benefit of doing one is having an extra summer to do an internship as an SWE, but that makes it a very expensive internship...

Conversion MScs are just a cash machine for universities, especially the weaker ones. They are just cashing out on the bandwagon.

P.S. With a degree in aeronautics you definitely have the brain required to self-teach the necessary skills and theory.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
Yh I think education is a scam, maybe in the old days it wasn't
Unnecessary, especially for Computer Science.

Ignore the wishlist of languages and technologies on most job listings, especially for graduate positions. They are written by HR and they have no idea. What matters more is your knowledge and application of data structures and algorithms which you can learn online for free. The larger companies will test you on these using automated tests which you can practice by doing Leetcode/Hackerrank questions. The final round interviews will also be nearly identical but you'll have a software engineer probing you more on your solution. Typical stuff like time/space complexity.

None of this requires an MSc in CS - in fact, an MSc in CS will teach you nearly nothing relevant to pass the interview loop. The only potential benefit of doing one is having an extra summer to do an internship as an SWE, but that makes it a very expensive internship...

Conversion MScs are just a cash machine for universities, especially the weaker ones. They are just cashing out on the bandwagon.

P.S. With a degree in aeronautics you definitely have the brain required to self-teach the necessary skills and theory.

I actually have tried using Leetcode and I can do the easy questions, but I can't do the medium or hard questions because I have little to no understanding of something like linked lists. You also mentioned time and space complexity. I am fully aware that these things are taught in computer science but because I have not studied computer science I don't really know what's the best way to learn about all of this stuff. You say that it's 'Typical stuff', but I've not learnt it before.

Is there a good course that would allow me to quickly self teach all of this stuff.
(edited 1 year ago)
I actually have tried using Leetcode and I can do the easy questions, but I can't do the medium or hard questions because I have little to no understanding of something like linked lists. You also mentioned time and space complexity. I am fully aware that these things are taught in computer science but because I have not studied computer science I don't really know what's the best way to learn about all of this stuff. You say that it's 'Typical stuff', but I've not learnt it before.

Is there a good course that would allow me to quickly self teach all of this stuff.

The CS50 course by Harvard is a fantastic introduction to CS
Original post by Boss G
Yh I think education is a scam, maybe in the old days it wasn't

I don't think it's a scam as such - students just need to be aware that a degree does not guarantee employment and they need to understand the studying is the least important part if all they want out of it is a job in industry. They need to have a laser focus on their career from day one and take any opportunity available e.g. insight weeks, career talks, practice psychometric tests.

Schools just don't tell their leavers this, but it is getting better with some FE providers finally promoting (degree) apprenticeships
(edited 1 year ago)
The sad thing is that even if you do get a job it will likely be around 20 to 30k and we are talking about graduate schemes which you must have worked your ass off to get into. The salary you will get more than half of it will be gone towards paying the bills, rent, uni debts, taxes and other stuff.
Schools always promise that if you get great grades you will have a great career and life etc..what they don't tell you is that the world out there is not as eager to compliment your "achievements" as they are.
I don't think it's a scam as such - students just need to be aware that a degree does not guarantee employment and they need to understand the studying is the least important part if all they want out of it is a job in industry. They need to have a laser focus on their career from day one and take any opportunity available e.g. insight weeks, career talks, practice psychometric tests.

Schools just don't tell their leavers this.

Yeah I kinda agree. My sixth form teachers really exaggerated Russell Group universities and they told me things like 'If you get a degree from Russell Group uni then you can do whatever you want in life'. Back then I believed them and I thought that Russell Group universities were actually elite universities that would guarantee you a job. However, now 3 years later, if my teachers told me this I would be laughing in their face because the reality is so so different. I do believe that schools should focus more on trying to encourage their students to become more employable rather than just teaching them how to pass an exam.

I just had a look at CS50 and the course begins on 8th of August which is literally today, so I might be a bit too late for it. If there are any similar courses that you'd be able to suggest that would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending