The Student Room Group

Been out of education for so long ....

My english has slipped, how can I improve it before the start of uni. Any excercises to complete or anything online?

Any help is much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
lol @ no one helping me
Is English not your first language? In that case I would suggest reading some academic style texts (e.g. borrow some books at your local library related to the subject you want to study) to get back into the kind of vocabulary you will come across in academic texts. If you are unsure of your English grammar then just put 'English grammar exercises' into Google and there's lots of websites for that.
Reply 3
Original post by thewaythingsare
Is English not your first language? In that case I would suggest reading some academic style texts (e.g. borrow some books at your local library related to the subject you want to study) to get back into the kind of vocabulary you will come across in academic texts. If you are unsure of your English grammar then just put 'English grammar exercises' into Google and there's lots of websites for that.

no, it's my first language .. I just have gotten lazy with it, as i've been out of education :-D
Reply 4
how has your language slipped? I don't understand your question
Reply 5
Original post by marada
how has your language slipped? I don't understand your question

when your'e out of education, you speak lazily, internet talk, text talk and so on. So i need to learn to speak properly again, grammar .. proper sentences and such.
Nothing you can really do, apart from reading more and typing in full sentences when ever you're on the net.
Original post by tnajamie
when your'e out of education, you speak lazily, internet talk, text talk and so on.

I disagree with this though: a 3 year break from any formal education allowed my English, vocab and writing style to flourish for some reason, but then again I do use full sentences and proper grammar when ever I type, be it text, email or otherwise. (And read an awful lot, which probably explains it)
Reply 7
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Nothing you can really do, apart from reading more and typing in full sentences when ever you're on the net.

I disagree with this though: a 3 year break from any formal education allowed my English, vocab and writing style to flourish for some reason, but then again I do use full sentences and proper grammar when ever I type, be it text, email or otherwise. (And read an awful lot, which probably explains it)

good for you, but for me I got lazy with my english to be honest ... maybe it'll improve when I get to uni!
Reply 8
Ok I see what you mean. As a former English Language teacher I would highly recommend the following title:

English Grammar In Use by Murphy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Grammar-Use-Answers-ROM/dp/0521537622

It is a wealth of information on grammar and will teach you about your present perfects, simple pasts, continuous tenses etc. If you don't know the difference between an adjective and a gerund or what a cohesive device is then this is definitely the book for you.

I also recommend practical English usage by Michael Swan, although this is much more technical and may be a bit beyond you.

Good luck
Original post by tnajamie
lol @ no one helping me

First real tip: stop talking like that.
Any phrase beginning with "lol @" should be avoided.
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
First real tip: stop talking like that.
Any phrase beginning with "lol @" should be avoided.

i know, that's just internet talk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending