The Student Room Group

People with mediocre grades should not be allowed to go to university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adidas90
Come on it's common sense. If there was a great probability of people who get crap A level grades doing well at university then entry requirements wouldn't exist in the first place.

the entry requirements for Higher education in the UK are that you hold a level 3 qualification.

there is no specific subject requirement - although for very good reasons most decent HEIs make some stipulations , primarily so they don't have to teach from GCSE level .

The grades quoted in the indicative offers in prospectuses are more to do with competition for places than any necessary requirement for attainment

This argument could be extrapolated to literally any walk of life, everything has requirements, I don't understand why people don't see this and can't separate their "heart" from the matter, just because they know a tear jerking story of someone who only came into their own once at uni and were given the chance despite crap A level grades, this sort of wishy washy thing cannot work on a national level. You'll just end up letting anyone into university.

such a great expert on all matters educational , we must bow down in acknowledgement of your omnipotence ... ( or we could just laugh at your arrogant display of immaturity )
Original post by OL1V3R
I completely agree with the original post. People should only be allowed to go to university if they can get Bs or above at A-level.

do you actually have any meaningful rationale for this assertion that removes all but a fraction of level 3 qualification holders from University ? or is this just typical TSR arrogant bovine excrement ?

I also feel that low grade requirements of universities are only a scapegoat for students who didn't bother at A-level and got low grades. It's not teaching them to take their results more seriously if they go to university, because if some students end up getting CCDE at A-level or something similar, then the low grade requirements by universities (also in clearing) doesn't make them stop to think, "I didn't get into my university of choice, maybe I really should have buckled down and worked harder." Instead it makes them think that regardless of how much effort they put in, that they'll get whatever they want no matter what.

do you actually have any understanding of Quality Assurance in Higher Education beyond regurgitation of TSR 'accepted truths' ( i.e. lies) and Faily Heil headlines about grade inflation ... ?
Reply 182
Original post by AspiringGenius
By saying "mediocre people should not be allowed to go to university" you implied that having **** grades made you a mediocre person.
Read what I wrote.

"**** grades, mediocre people..."

The comma is not there by some slip of the finger, it is there because I know what it is and I know how to use it.

And if you're not au fait with conversational profanity, the first word starts with an 'F' and rhymes if 'puck'.

Give me ****ing strength.

:rolleyes:
Original post by zippyRN
do you actually have any meaningful rationale for this assertion that removes all but a fraction of level 3 qualification holders from University ? or is this just typical TSR arrogant bovine excrement ?

Those were just my opinions - feel free to disagree if you wish.
Original post by TheEssence
lol so whats all the hostility for? you agree with what i'm saying .

I wish i could say they don't matter but they do.. some colleges say you need 5A*-C to get in etc... what would be better is if a proper indicator was applied...

And yh too many of us... some of my peers blame the system.. i just kept my head down and whilst peers were out there committing crimes i kepy my head down and studied hard hoping it leads to a better future...

Good to see you've turned it around and good luck..

Best of luck to you too.

I was surrounded by bad people and we all turned it around. I wish I could've passed my GCSEs. No lie going to a good rank uni is really good. But sometimes if you wanna turn things around you need to work your way up from the very bottom which is what most man like me doing.

Going to a better university just means better employment once you leave and a few other things. My friend failed his A Levels really bad (DDE) and had to go UEL but after his first year he got into Queen Mary somehow.
Reply 185
Chester University - 81% of Graduates secured a graduate level job last year.

So no, 'employers' don't disregard people who don't attend 'prestigious' universities.

(In response to a few comments saying otherwise).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BangBangSkullz
Best of luck to you too.

I was surrounded by bad people and we all turned it around. I wish I could've passed my GCSEs. No lie going to a good rank uni is really good. But sometimes if you wanna turn things around you need to work your way up from the very bottom which is what most man like me doing.

Going to a better university just means better employment once you leave and a few other things. My friend failed his A Levels really bad (DDE) and had to go UEL but after his first year he got into Queen Mary somehow.

yh i hear that...just do some work experience some volunteering etc and maybe that can take away from the gcse bit

And lucky him...and they say miracles don't happen
Reply 187
so someone with BBB in "less academic" subjects (like media, general studies) should go to uni and someone with BCC in the sciences should not?

bare in mind that science exams are a lottery on the day
Original post by Computerised
Funny you should mention this, UCL chem department swears there is no correlation between A level grades over C and performance at degree level. but they say they can't lower the entry requirements as the main university body refuses to believe them. They say the only correlation is between grades at the first year introductory module and future degree performance.

On the other hand, Cambridge admissions think that the best indicator of future performance available to them is AS module percentages. So the jury is definitely out. Also, here's a thought for you - If UCL chem are mostly only getting students with high entry grades, how can they say that >C doesn't matter? The exceptions will have likely got in because they were exceptional in other ways.

Yes but having **** grades does not mean you are a mediocre person. Ffs.

I'm too tired to continue this stupid "argument".

He didn't say having **** grades makes you a mediocre person. However, failing to understand the many uses of the comma does.

Original post by Benniboi1
This is BS.

Hm? All the maths modules I've done so far have just been applying maths modules. I suspect that any maths exam less than 2 hours long with more than 6 questions is not rigorous enough to actually test mathematical ability (though I could well be wrong).
Original post by Bakes0011
On the other hand, Cambridge admissions think that the best indicator of future performance available to them is AS module percentages. So the jury is definitely out. Also, here's a thought for you - If UCL chem are mostly only getting students with high entry grades, how can they say that >C doesn't matter? The exceptions will have likely got in because they were exceptional in other ways.

He didn't say having **** grades makes you a mediocre person. However, failing to understand the many uses of the comma does.

Hm? All the maths modules I've done so far have just been applying maths modules. I suspect that any maths exam less than 2 hours long with more than 6 questions is not rigorous enough to actually test mathematical ability (though I could well be wrong).

You know nothing about me so what gives you the right to call me a mediocre person? So I didn't interpret Renal's statement as he intended, it doesn't make me a mediocre person.
Original post by Renal
Read what I wrote.

"**** grades, mediocre people..."

The comma is not there by some slip of the finger, it is there because I know what it is and I know how to use it.

And if you're not au fait with conversational profanity, the first word starts with an 'F' and rhymes if 'puck'.

Give me ****ing strength.

:rolleyes:

i think you've lost them there Renal Old Bean, grades are all to the identikit TSRian Child ... , they do not know what they do not yet know or that they have things m that they do not know ( cue Donald Rumsfeld and his unknown unknowns)...
Reply 191
Original post by Astronomical
And do you believe a degree from a university with entrance requirements of DDD looks impressive to employers?

This concept of going to university to "study something you are interested in" is simply not applicable if you have been getting C, D or E grades. If you were that interested, you'd have done better at A-level, for one of two reasons: either you want to study a subject you aren't taking, in which case you aspire to study it at the best institution available; or you took it at A-level, and so should have done very well because you found it all very interesting and knew it all brilliantly.

I don't entirely agree. The ability to succeed in exams is also vitally important. For a bit of perspective, I've just finished a geography degree at a 1994-group uni. I got ABB at A-level; the lowest UMS out of the three was in geography - my degree subject - which was also the one I found most interesting. Also interesting is that out of my three A-levels, geography had the least coursework by far; whilst the subject I got the A in had by far the most coursework.

Fast forward 3 years to the end of my degree, and here I am with 1% off a 2.1. Throughout the 2 years that contributed towards my degree, I averaged a good 2.1 in all my coursework (highest mark 79%), but a 3rd in all my exams (highest mark 56%).

Bear in mind that I was fascinated by the majority of my chosen modules, and that I put in similar levels of effort in both coursework and exam revision. Yet I averaged around 20% less in my exams. My exams form a clear anomaly; I believe that if degrees were awarded solely on ability and passion, I would easily have been a 2.1 candidate. Likewise, I know of people who are naturally very good at exams (averaged 1sts) but many of them are as thick as horsesh*t in real life; the kind of people who get AAB at A-level just by being good at exams despite being not particularly intelligent. Just goes to show that exams are not a reflective indicator of someone's ability or interest in a subject. So from this respect your argument is flawed.

I'm a strong believer in basing A-levels more heavily around coursework, because this is so much more reflective of not only a student's passion for a subject, but also the student's ability.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IloveIt
so someone with BBB in "less academic" subjects (like media, general studies) should go to uni and someone with BCC in the sciences should not?

bare in mind that science exams are a lottery on the day

You think that science A-level exams are more of a lottery than English or History? I would beg to differ.
You know nothing about me so what gives you the right to call me a mediocre person? So I didn't interpret Renal's statement as he intended, it doesn't make me a mediocre person.

That was a late night variant on sarcasm...

Typically, I personally would try to understand what someone said before I criticised it - just to avoid situations like this.
Reply 194
Original post by Studentrepreneur
I got poor grades. I'm at University. Does this anger you?

Guess what? There's nothing you can do about it. Tee hee.

Your uni is poop though. :smile:
Original post by ihatethispart
I don't like how university education is treated as the ultimate proof of an adult's worth by some people. People seem to be getting degrees for the sake of getting one. The country should put more emphasis and value on skills which don't require a university education to achieve, but still an education. At my school, we're given so much information about uni applications and the importance of a degree but almost nothing on what courses or other forms of education you can get if you want a particular job :/ .

Yeah, exactly! My old school sixth form was always "uni uni uni" and hardly talked about nor gave guidance for anything else. It's only in the past year and a half or so that I've managed to discover all by myself (mainly on the internet) the many other different options that there really are out there for many people to enter good careers and have good fulfilling lives.
Original post by mc1000
I don't entirely agree. The ability to succeed in exams is also vitally important. For a bit of perspective, I've just finished a geography degree at a 1994-group uni. I got ABB at A-level; the lowest UMS out of the three was in geography - my degree subject - which was also the one I found most interesting. Also interesting is that out of my three A-levels, geography had the least coursework by far; whilst the subject I got the A in had by far the most coursework.

Fast forward 3 years to the end of my degree, and here I am with 1% off a 2.1. Throughout the 2 years that contributed towards my degree, I averaged a good 2.1 in all my coursework (highest mark 79%), but a 3rd in all my exams (highest mark 56%).

Bear in mind that I was fascinated by the majority of my chosen modules, and that I put in similar levels of effort in both coursework and exam revision. Yet I averaged the best part of 20% less in my exams. My exams form a clear anomaly; I believe that by ability and passion, I should have been easily a 2.1 candidate. Likewise, I know of people who are naturally very good at exams (averaged 1sts) but many of them are as thick as horsesh*t in real life; the kind of people who get AAB at A-level just by being good at exams despite being not particularly intelligent. Just goes to show that exams are not a reflective indicator of someone's ability or interest in a subject. So from this respect your argument is flawed.

I'm a strong believer in basing A-levels more heavily around coursework, because this is so much more reflective of not only a student's passion for a subject, but also the student's ability.

Courseworks are a tremendous drain on teachers time. I wouldn't want to force them on any teacher (purely because I've seen my Dad spending three or four days every easter and may half term for the past few years just marking courseworks).

Original post by TurboCretin
You think that science A-level exams are more of a lottery than English or History? I would beg to differ.

They're all something of a lottery, though he did specifically mention General Studies and Media Studies - both of which are extremely soft options. I agree with you - my history AS might have been destroyed if the wrong topics came up, whilst at least with sciences most of what you're getting is revisable and predictable.
Original post by mc1000

Bear in mind that I was fascinated by the majority of my chosen modules, and that I put in similar levels of effort in both coursework and exam revision. Yet I averaged around 20% less in my exams. My exams form a clear anomaly; I believe that if degrees were awarded solely on ability and passion, I would easily have been a 2.1 candidate. Likewise, I know of people who are naturally very good at exams (averaged 1sts) but many of them are as thick as horsesh*t in real life; the kind of people who get AAB at A-level just by being good at exams despite being not particularly intelligent. Just goes to show that exams are not a reflective indicator of someone's ability or interest in a subject. So from this respect your argument is flawed.

Exam technique is an important skill, and it should be learned. It is unfortunate to miss out by 1% though, you have my sympathy!

However, I disagree with coursework being a better measure of ability, for numerous reasons (applicable at least to A-level, though I am not sure about university). First of all, students at different schools are subject to a much varied level of help from teachers, ranging from those who will do very little to help, to those who will almost rewrite it for the student. You then have the possibility of people getting further help from elsewhere, and in the end, much of the work can come from external help. This is probably the biggest issue with coursework. Secondly, people can achieve a good mark without actually knowing a thing, as much of the information will be available on the internet; there is no need to retain information once it is on the page. Essentially being literate alone should lead to a good mark.

Exams on the other hand are the same for everyone on that exam board, and there is no external help. The work is all of the student sitting the exam; knowledge retention is key. There is also a time limit, so you have to know your subject well to get your answers down quickly and concisely.

For the first reason alone I mentioned, I believe (that at A-level and below, at least) exams are a far more reliable measure of subject knowledge than coursework. Passion is not really "testable" although you would expend somebody passionate to do well; but of course, exam technique is key.
Reply 198
A guy with a Hertfordshire degree can't flaunt his degree in the face of someone with a UCL degree.

I agree with the OP. It's not even a special achievement any more to say you have a degree. I could join any ex-poly now, doss for 3 years and get a degree. That's the source of all this university league table rivalry as you can't just say you got a degree you gotta say you got it from a top uni to stand out. It's pretty much a conveyor belt, the 20 year old retaker in my physics class who threw around paper aeroplanes is in uni now ffs. You don't have to try the government will practically guarantee that whatever your brainpower there is a uni place for you somewhere.

The government's policy of 50% of people in uni is flawed. If you think in terms of the normal distribution of population intelligence then not everyone is cut out for university.

And if these ex polys were to be closed down then all the money spent on them could go towards the good universities. If people say that you cant do that as every job needs a degree these days well that is the direct result of there being so many people with degrees. It's akin to money inflation, more money around, prices go up, higher qualifications around, job entry requirements go up. Let's be honest you don't need a degree to work in an office.

I say that the minimum standard for entry into any university should be ABB. A in the subject you want to do and B in 2 other relevant subjects. It would encourage people to work harder. Sixth formers these days think "oh if I don't get the grades it doesn't matter as ill guaranteed get a place to party through clearing."

I could join any ex-poly now, doss for 3 years and get a degree.

Not every person at ex poly dosses around. And just becuase it's an ex poly doesn't make it worthless. If the candidate is good for the job, they'll get an interview. I'm sure you could doss at ANY uni and still come out with a degree.

Sixth formers these days think "oh if I don't get the grades it doesn't matter as ill guaranteed get a place to party through clearing."

Not everyone who goes to uni wants to party. If they just want to party, let them. They'll **** up their one opportunity to excel in life and if they earn above that certain pay range, SLC will deduct money from their pay.

you can't just say you got a degree you gotta say you got it from a top uni to stand out.

Last year I beat 11 people at an assessment centre for a placement year who were all from higher ranking univeristies (I'm from Aston - ranked 25th). We all had relevant degrees for the job (economics, accounting, business etc). It has less weighting when you've got passed the initial stages of application.

And if these ex polys were to be closed down then all the money spent on them could go towards the good universities

And what would you do with the sudden surge of people who come out of college that can't get into the top unis? There won't be enough jobs for them. Say tough luck? Yeah, sure... Also, do you really think it's wise to create such a divide like that in society? "The kids with degrees" and "the kids without degrees"?

It's pretty much a conveyor belt, the 20 year old retaker in my physics class who threw around paper aeroplanes is in uni now ffs.

Not everyone has to dig their heads in a book throughout their college years to get good grades. Some people **** around in class but when it comes to it, they buckle down and come out with high grades. Perfect example, me...

I say that the minimum standard for entry into any university should be ABB. A in the subject you want to do and B in 2 other relevant subjects.

Not everyone knew what degree they would be studying when they started college. Making the education system rigid and inflexible will lead to students being unhappy with their choices and might cause them to perform badly.

All in all, you can't limit people's education. Education is the only thing that allows society to excel further each generation. Telling the youth that you're grades were too **** to get into uni won't make them re-do A-levels. I certainly wouldn't have.
Changing working environment requires more skilled workers for United Kingdom to be competitive in the world market. Although these people are not as skilled as someone who went to Oxbridge (which itself is questionable), they obtain some skills that contribute to the society, and wellbeing of the people of this country as a result. I am not even mentioning the equal opportunities, contribution to local economy arguments here. Anyways, if anything Blair did right during his term in the office, increasing the number of universities must be it.

Thread closed, you can all disappear now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending