The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ISS2508
Dont worry, its quite early in the year. My friend who is studying linguistics now at Warwick only got her responses after Jan :smile:

I have seen you also applied to Kings and UCL, snap! Really aiming for them but havent heard anything :frown:

I swear Warwick don't do Linguistics? :confused: :tongue:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by 11billi11
I hope its noottt !!! Ermm so worried, I love QMUL but I don't think they would even look at me as predicted too low and don't have a B in Eng Lang GCSE but do have a B in Eng Lit GCSE.. soo confused as to apply or not :confused:

gona beg my maths to predict me A rather than B. Also my ref is putting B possible A for Business studies in the ref, will they consider that??? :eek::confused:

Hey man, I also got a B in GCSE Eng Lit., but a C in the Lang. equivalent, and they still gave me an offer which at my very position is near impossible, but with a few re-sits and studying, it's possible.

I assume that Bus. Studies is going to require the same grades as Bus. Management, which I just searched up is 340 points (AAB) so with your scenario, I don't see why they should turn you down, with a little help of an enigmatic personal statement, how you're passionate about Bus. Studies and your aspirations beyond your UG course.

I hope these apply to you, but C3 is straightfoward once you've undestood the processes like Simpson's Rule, Revolutions around the Y/X axis and trigonomic identities.
However, I found C4 simpler that C3, which I got 92% rather than 83% in C3.

Which other A level are you taking also?
Original post by Iqbal007
Hi Everybody :biggrin:,

Thought it was time to open up a applicant thread for this year as the old reads 2011 :colondollar:.......... so who else is in love with Queen Mary and wants to study there?

Biochemistry
shelladonia
rathod93
WasteMan92

Biology
RyAnMcK
anna11

Biomedicine
ijaz
katherine_b
HannahtheFauves
SomethingToBelieveIn

Business Managment
swbp
11billi11

Computer Science
Lakhvir.Singh

Chemistry
ChemAddict
Bobshantilol

Economics
tehonlyone
somaiyar

English
HannahtheFauves
Beckiix
Daniel,
holbolrob
cantseethesky

English & History
JoPat94

English Language and Linguistics
Lollyage
bumblebee17
_Jazzie

English Literature and Linguistics
Beckiix
Lollyage
anna258

Geography
ISS2508

History
Koala_100
jesusofsuburbia

History and Politics
Azza919
Izzy_h

Law
admbeatmaker
The Fez
snehame
0KaY0
Amok-

Mathematics
rumziie
ChengalTiger

Medical Genetics
Med_Geek
Saliency

Psychology
D0LLxo
panda1093
Mmrawrr
MyselfEtAl

Science & engineering foundation programme
rathod93

I'm not doing biomedicine o.o
Reply 183
Original post by Lollyage
I swear Warwick don't do Linguistics? :confused: :tongue:

She studies French and German, I generally thought that was linguistics mmmmmm XD
Original post by ISS2508
She studies French and German, I generally thought that was linguistics mmmmmm XD

No that's Modern Foreign Languages, very different to Linguistics which is about how language itself works. :smile:
Reply 185
just got an offer for theoretical physics AAB, thanks qmul!
Original post by monica
just got an offer for theoretical physics AAB, thanks qmul!

congratulations!
has anyone got offers for psychology? : )
Reply 187
Original post by panda1093
congratulations!

My friend got one a few weeks ago. She was an early applicant because she was applying to Oxford (Got told she would be rejected within 7 days, so she swapped it for QMUL). AAB, I think :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by panda1093
congratulations!

thanks
Original post by _Jazzie
My friend got one a few weeks ago. She was an early applicant because she was applying to Oxford (Got told she would be rejected within 7 days, so she swapped it for QMUL). AAB, I think :smile:

okay :smile:
Do they hold interviews for every subject ?
WAAAAAAAAAAA people have got offers for english :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:dry:
Reply 192
Original post by Forget that
WAAAAAAAAAAA people have got offers for english :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:dry:

I want my Eng Lang + Ling offer! :frown:
Reply 193
Original post by ChengalTiger
Hey man, I also got a B in GCSE Eng Lit., but a C in the Lang. equivalent, and they still gave me an offer which at my very position is near impossible, but with a few re-sits and studying, it's possible.

I assume that Bus. Studies is going to require the same grades as Bus. Management, which I just searched up is 340 points (AAB) so with your scenario, I don't see why they should turn you down, with a little help of an enigmatic personal statement, how you're passionate about Bus. Studies and your aspirations beyond your UG course.

I hope these apply to you, but C3 is straightfoward once you've undestood the processes like Simpson's Rule, Revolutions around the Y/X axis and trigonomic identities.
However, I found C4 simpler that C3, which I got 92% rather than 83% in C3.

Which other A level are you taking also?

You have just made my day!!! Ermm yea C3 seems good apart from trig :eek: .. loll but thats in June 2012 for me. I'm doing Chemistry, Business Studies and Maths.

But I flopped my AS year, then moved schools to retake, so at a huge disadvantage for QMUL I think.

What subjects do you take?
Original post by 11billi11
You have just made my day!!! Ermm yea C3 seems good apart from trig :eek: .. loll but thats in June 2012 for me. I'm doing Chemistry, Business Studies and Maths.

But I flopped my AS year, then moved schools to retake, so at a huge disadvantage for QMUL I think.

What subjects do you take?

Well I may and hope that I make your day even better by saying that you are NOT at all in any disadvantage for QM because I also flopped my first year (academic year 09/10), so during the summer just gone, I asked all the universities where I'd like to go to, asking if they'd accepted students who completed A levels in 3 years. QM replied that it was fine, which for me was a mixture of 'f*** yea' man meme and 'Freddie Mercury Rage Pose' meme (please tell me you know what I'm on about :tongue:)

From my first year, normal maths was the only one I managed to do well in.
So before I started my third and final year I had an A grade for GCE Maths :biggrin: which was the very first real A I've ever got!
Now I'm doing A2 Further Maths, Biology and picked up AS physics. (Biology was the cause of my failure due to incompetent teacher :angry:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Lollyage
No that's Modern Foreign Languages, very different to Linguistics which is about how language itself works. :smile:

HAHA That makes sense now XD thank you :smile:
Reply 196
Hi guys, so I'm predicted ABC (with an A in maths) and I'm applying for maths, what are my chances of getting an offer with those predicted grades??
Reply 197
Well I may and hope that I make your day even better by saying that you are NOT at all in any disadvantage for QM because I also flopped my first year (academic year 09/10), so during the summer just gone, I asked all the universities where I'd like to go to, asking if they'd accepted students who completed A levels in 3 years. QM replied that it was fine, which for me was a mixture of 'f*** yea' man meme and 'Freddie Mercury Rage Pose' meme (please tell me you know what I'm on about :tongue:)

From my first year, normal maths was the only one I managed to do well in.
So before I started my third and final year I had an A grade for GCE Maths :biggrin: which was the very first real A I've ever got!
Now I'm doing A2 Further Maths, Biology and picked up AS physics. (Biology was the cause of my failure due to incompetent teacher :angry:)

Phaaaaahaaa.. wow I pretty much done the same as you during summer !!!! I actually cannot believe that! Well done for doing well in your AS. I got a D overall in maths, but trying to push it to a B for AS and A overall, well at least thats the plan :rolleyes:

Ermm yea so lets see how it goes, but chances are as I don't fully meet the entry req. I have a very slim chance of getting in :eek: so just tryna decide whether it is worth a shot or not. Also ru mentioning about your retakes? and how did you fill in ucas in terms of grades etc
Ah thank you, maths is probably the only thing that agrees with me :P

Okay, for the retakes here's what I did...

Just basically enter everything you've got (but if you got any Us (ungraded) don't put them in was what I was instructed), say for example that I just did AS maths, AS biology and AS chemistry last year, you enter the month and year you received your grades for them, (which will be probably for the same for the whole UK 'August 2011').
BUT say if you decided to a resit some (it doesn't matter if you'll only do one or even 3 for each subject) exams from the AS year, so for maths any resits, you enter 'AS maths' and for your results you put when you'll get them (like August 2012) plus your grade will be 'pending'.

So any resits will generally create a whole new AS subject. Also making it look you're doing a ton of work :biggrin:.

I'm doing the M2 exam again, because I need a good grade to stand a chance and I was just told at the begining of this year that instead of doing FP3, we'll be doing M3. A good thing for the those wanting to do mechanical engineering but for purists like me, it's hell :frown:

Other tips for UCAS I can provide is to make sure you've done your student finance correct, the one step before my application would have been sent, my senior tutor spotted a huge blunder. I stated that I shall apply for Norfolk student finance when I live in Suffolk, so it made me look like a fool and if it wasn't seen, I'll be in total poverty or no HE for me.

For your choices to see if it's worth appling for QMUL, it depends which other unis you're picking aswell. Essex and Keele are my backup ones, UEA for middle range, then QM and Leeds for when a miracle has landed on my many exams.

I hoped this helped, and which other unis have you considered?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 199
Ah thank you, maths is probably the only thing that agrees with me :P

Okay, for the retakes here's what I did...

Just basically enter everything you've got (but if you got any Us (ungraded) don't put them in was what I was instructed), say for example that I just did AS maths, AS biology and AS chemistry last year, you enter the month and year you received your grades for them, (which will be probably for the same for the whole UK 'August 2011').
BUT say if you decided to a resit some (it doesn't matter if you'll only do one or even 3 for each subject) exams from the AS year, so for maths any resits, you enter 'AS maths' and for your results you put when you'll get them (like August 2012) plus your grade will be 'pending'.

So any resits will generally create a whole new AS subject. Also making it look you're doing a ton of work :biggrin:.

I'm doing the M2 exam again, because I need a good grade to stand a chance and I was just told at the begining of this year that instead of doing FP3, we'll be doing M3. A good thing for the those wanting to do mechanical engineering but for purists like me, it's hell :frown:

Other tips for UCAS I can provide is to make sure you've done your student finance correct, the one step before my application would have been sent, my senior tutor spotted a huge blunder. I stated that I shall apply for Norfolk student finance when I live in Suffolk, so it made me look like a fool and if it wasn't seen, I'll be in total poverty or no HE for me.

For your choices to see if it's worth appling for QMUL, it depends which other unis you're picking aswell. Essex and Keele are my backup ones, UEA for middle range, then QM and Leeds for when a miracle has landed on my many exams.

I hoped this helped, and which other unis have you considered?

You are what I call "AMAZING".. wickdd thats my ucas sorted going to finish it and send off before next week :eek: scary times :colondollar:

I currently do epq, done 3 AS's and carrying on with them to A2: Chemistry, Business studies and Maths (predicted B,B/A,A or B) so kinda looking at those who want max ABB or BBB to be realistic, so unis such as Herts, Brunel, Greenwich, Kingston, Westminister etc not the best in the world but you have to be realistic but I don't want to live out of london because well I LOVE London and most of these are 2 hours max by underground! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending