The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Anyone a MA English applicant? and if so, has anyone heard anything on the funding front?

Thanks
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Rejected for college accommodation :unimpressed: *sigh* I guess it's only fair to the people that don't even live in London :3
Reply 982
Original post by Koala_100
doing mine now, prices have gone up!!

a 10% inflation in weekly accom cost?
Reply 983
Original post by SomethingToBelieveIn
Rejected for college accommodation :unimpressed: *sigh* I guess it's only fair to the people that don't even live in London :3

They mostly tend to give accomodation if you put them as your firm...
Original post by Riz10
They mostly tend to give accomodation if you put them as your firm...

Not when you live close, though.

It would be unfair to give accommodation to a local person in my opinion.
Reply 985

Where abouts do you live? I live just outside London and didn't get rejected but my friend did..?
Woop qmul law woopwoop
Original post by sarah peacehope
Woop qmul law woopwoop

When did you get your offer through?

Very well done! :biggrin:
Original post by admbeatmaker
When did you get your offer through?

Very well done! :biggrin:

Early February!
Original post by mahtazk
Where abouts do you live? I live just outside London and didn't get rejected but my friend did..?

In London, about an hour & a half from Queen Mary University. I'm sure if you live outside London and have Queen Mary as your firm you'll be likely to get accommodation. :smile: Sorry about your friend, though. I hope they don't live too far from QMUL :s
Reply 990

I have also been rejected for the accommodation, yet I live at least an hour and a half away from the university. I guess we'll have to look at alternative accommodation?
I just got back from a trip to London, my main purpose being to visit QMUL and hopefully make up my mind regarding firm/insurance choice. I have lived in Camden, in one of UCL's accommodation buildings to be more precise. I took the tube to mile end, got off, held my breath and hoped for the worst as I exited the station. I soon realized it was soo much different from what I had imagined. The road was reasonably big, lots of shops, clean area, absolutely nothing wrong with it. The underground station was a five minute walk from QMUL, so I didn't get to see much, but what I saw was enough to contradict all the bad opinions I have read around here. I entered the campus, security was at the entrance gate and they stay there non stop, which makes the campus feel safe. The accommodation buildings were looking really good, I only got to see them on the outside though. Regent's canal was indeed not so clean, lots of garbage floating in the water, but apart from that, there were so many green spaces where people could just lie down and enjoy the weather, if that's the case. The cemetery creeped me out, it is located between the Chemistry building and the library, and it was not pleasant at all IMO. I had lunch at the Curve, soup of the day and main course and it cost me around 6 pounds, which is quite expensive for everyday lunch. The Queens building is a lot bigger than I have previously imagined, but they seem to invest the most in new facilities for chemistry and biological sciences. There were not many students on campus, probably because they were on Easter holiday. The library looked really good, but it was quite loud, the ground floor at least. the Drapers bar was empty, for the same reason mentioned above. A lot of building going on, however I saw no workers on that day.
All in all, the area was not looking bad, but it wasn't posh either. I still need to make up my mind, hopefully I'll take the right decision.

P.S. i have taken a couple of pictures, if only I had somewhere to post them
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 992
Original post by franchesskah

P.S. i have taken a couple of pictures, if only I had somewhere to post them

You can upload photos to http://imgur.com or http://tinypic.com :]

edit: and thanks for sharing about your visit!
Reply 993
Original post by admbeatmaker
Not when you live close, though.

It would be unfair to give accommodation to a local person in my opinion.

i live near the uni, they offered me accomodation! - dnt know why eventhough i said i'm gna live at home!
Original post by meganhind
I have also been rejected for the accommodation, yet I live at least an hour and a half away from the university. I guess we'll have to look at alternative accommodation?

Yep, I guess that's what it's come to. Hopefully, we all get lucky in the search for alternative accommodation. I'd really love to get away from home for at least a year, haha :P
Reply 995
Original post by Riz10
i live near the uni, they offered me accomodation! - dnt know why eventhough i said i'm gna live at home!

How near do you live?
Reply 996
Original post by mahtazk
How near do you live?

5-10 mins away...basically in mile end!:confused:
Reply 997
Original post by Riz10
5-10 mins away...basically in mile end!:confused:

Oh :/ I just got an email saying my application has been rejected :frown: and I live about an hour and 40 minutes away. So unfair :frown:
Reply 998
Original post by mahtazk
Oh :/ I just got an email saying my application has been rejected :frown: and I live about an hour and 40 minutes away. So unfair :frown:

The funny thing is i didnt even apply for accomodation. they just emailed me saying that i can have accomodation even though im gna stay at home:confused:
Reply 999
Original post by Riz10
The funny thing is i didnt even apply for accomodation. they just emailed me saying that i can have accomodation even though im gna stay at home:confused:

Oh was that not just the general email they sent to everyone saying they can now apply for accomodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending