The Student Room Group

Essex girl goes to Wolverhampton

SUNDAY 11TH SEPTEMBER
Day One Morning

I should probably point out now that im not the cliche Essex girl. I dont have bleached blonde hair or an orange oompa-loompa tan. Wolverhampton was my insurance choice; in fact, out of my original five, it was my last resort choice, for if i REALLY muck up my exams. Well. Here I am.

Like I said, I live in Essex, so this was a bit of trek for me. Out of all my five uni's, Wolverhampton was the only one I didnt visit. I have never been this far north. We left the house at 6am, it said the check in to accomadation started at 10, but we made such good time we were able to stop and have a second breakfast outside Birmingham, and we still arrived early, but not early enough that people werent already checking in.

One of my biggest fears was that I would look silly unpacking my room because I had so many huge boxes. If any of you out there are thjinking that too, don't. If you can fit it in one viechle, you're fine, even if that viechle is a minivan. Mine was a people carrier with all the seats put down. My parents and I took the boxes up to my room, and after each trip we would try and unpack as much as possible.

After we had all the boxes up to my room I was sorting through what I wanted in my tiny kitchen cupboard and what I wanted in my room. MY parents gave me enough died ffod for a nuclear war, so a lot of it was "one instant tuna sweetcorn mash pot, one chicken and mushroom pasta sauce, one pack of noodles" etc but halfway through doing that someone set off the fire alarm by opening the fire escape. To be fair, it isnt clearly labelled. My parents took that as a cue to go over the road (literally over the road) to ASDA to shop for milk, marg, bread etc. I ended up geting more alcohol than I had intended, but hey, it was on offer.

When we got back we unpack some more, sorted out my computer, internet (everyone had problems with internet, there was an "im having intenet problems" queue of people clutching laptops) and my parents went. And I was alone at Uni.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Day One Afternoon

After my parents left, I sat there eating a sandwich from ASDA. I had no idea what to do next, but I wasnt panicking yet. Eventually this girl from my floor walked in, and we talked, and she ate her cuppa soup, and I ate my sandwich, and we were quite friendly. After she left I nipped across to ASDA because we had forgotten pins for the corkboard and I had a million photos to pin up.

When I came back I couldnt find anyone. I waited in the kitchen. I wandered around looking for open doors. No-one. I had this tin of biscuits I was going to use as a conversation starter but no-one to start a conversation with. So I decided to do a CV drop in the local area. After handing out three CVs, I realised that they had my old home phone number on. Hurrying back to my room, I clumisly wrote on them all (I dont have a printer) my mobile number. When I was leaving the building and coming back several times I saw and chatted to several people.

When I finished editing the CVs it was nearly time for this induction talk thing. All of a sudden, more students than I had chatted to all day congreagated outside my room. Not specifically outside my room, just in the corridor, but it happened to be outside my room. We all decided that we were definatly going to this Oceania club place tonight. We have quite a random mix of people on our floor from all over, both genders, only two people out of the 10(ish) people in our group chared a course.

We went to this Induction talk. It was basically just the Dean saying Hello. We also found out that one person had travelled 22 hours from India to be at Wolverhampton. We learned that, although the student bar was open from 6.30-7.00, the move to Ocaenia wasnt until 10.00 and we had alcohol back at the flat, so we decided to go back there for what I would call a pre-lash. I learnt that pre-lash isnt a word my flat mates knew, explained that it was just drinking before you went out.
Reply 2
Day One Evening
We were drinking and moving between various kitchen's and generally having fun. I realised that my tolerance of alcohol, normally pretty low, was for some reson lowered even further that night, possibly putting it into the negative. On the other hand, one I realise the alcohol is getting to me I dont normally drink a whole lot more.

At some point in the evening we were told that we needed our boarding passes to get reduced entry to Oceania, so several people needed to print thiers off. Whislt we were doing that we became aware that another girl on our floor had let in some drunks. They had lived here before, apperntly, and were reliving thier glory days. They were about 30. I had left my biscuits on the table in the kitchen they went into, later found the biscuits on the stairwell.

After that lovely experiance, we decided to head out early to Oceania. Whilst en route I realised that I was in a city I didnt know, after 10pm, with a bunch of people I could barely remeber the names of, heading to a club I didn't know, to go clubbing (which I've never done before). I would never do that normally. One of our flatmates (the girl who had come into my room earlier) had worn some rather nice heels, but unfortuatly she couldnt walk very fast in them. I wouldnt be able to stand up in them personally. Suddenly we noticed she had fallen quite a way behind. When she caught up we all swapped numbers.

[hint; probably should do that before someone falls behind because we didnt know where she was and we couldnt contact her]

We got to the club, queued. The queue was very long because swapping numbers had taken a while so everyone else from the uni had got there first. The queue actually moved quite quickly though. I thought the bouncer wouldnt let me in! He looked at my driving license and then he just stared at me for ages before saying ok. It really is me on there! Anyway, we went in, they searched us and our bags. What for, I dont know. Are nightclubs terrroist targets?

We went in, we clubbed. Whilst it was fun, it was also mildly dissapointing on my part. I think I mentoined I hadn't been clubbing before? It was very similar to some birthday parties I'd been too, except you had to pay to get in (a reduced student rate of £3). People danced, people drank. The difference was at the party the music wasnt so loud you couldnt talk whilst you sat down and got your breath.

I wasnt drinking much any more except for these tube shot things called Quiver, which were 14% alcohol, but it wasnt getting me drunk for some reason. I was probably putting them too far apart, I only drank two in 3 hours. I also realised that if you wear jeans to a nightclub, make them nice jeans, and get a nice bag to carry your stuff in because the queue for the cloakroom (which costs) was ages long.

We went home earlier than I expected, but I think the people who had been clubbing before were even more dissapointed than I was. I would have happily have stayed for an hour or two more (though not three hours) but i was also quite happy to go home then. When we got back we found that the drunk people had left some of our food from the fridge (which isnt lockable, although the cupboards are) in the lift and left the kitchen in a state. When we put it back, I realised my frozen mixed veg was missing. Checked the lift, checked the stairwell, gone. In the end I went to bed because it could be anywhere. Of course, being frozen, by morning it's no good anymore. I know it only cost 70p but its the principle of the thing. I locked my door that night.
Reply 3
Monday 12th September
Day Two Early Morning

I did wake up several times in the night, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was too loud, my room hasnt faced onto a busy road in a while. Maybe it was the unfamiler satin bedsheets. I know aty least one time I woke up because of those binmen crashing about under my window, I though someone was wrecking the kitchen!

I managed to get up at 7am, under my own steam, which I am mildly proud of, considering I havnt really since exams ended in June. I made myself a cup of tea and noticed the table was still a bit sticky from the beer those idiots poured on it last night so I ran a sponge over it. Then I came back to my room and typed this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jendra9311
Monday 12th September
Day Two Early Morning

I did wake up several times in the night, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was too loud, my room hasnt faced onto a busy room in a while. Maybe it was the unfamiler satin bedsheets. I know aty least one time I woke up because of those binmen crashing about under my window, I though someone was wrecking the kitchen!

I managed to get up at 7am, under my own steam, which I am mildly proud of, considering I havnt really since exams ended in June. I made myself a cup of tea and noticed the table was still a bit sticky from the beer those idiots poured on it last night so I ran a sponge over it. Then I came back to my room and typed this.

wow, very interesting right from the beginning :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by irina793
(Probably going to get negged, but...) WHY?

i was awake and trying to get into the habit of waking up in time to go class at uni.
i had nothing else to do.
Reply 6
Day Two Morning

So I was up and dressed. Eaten breakfast, etc. I was waiting for the whole "ohmygod i'm all on my own at uni" thing but that hasnt really happend yet, partly because a lot of things are wierdly normal. i havnt eaten anything amazingly different. i dress the same, talk the same. all right, so clubbing isnt what i usually do, but it wasnt anything particulary special. otherwise i act the same.

at lunch today i decide to go to one of these free taster things and the one i wanted to see was 'bollywood dancing'. i had to leave early because it was used up most of the time between two induction things i had to attend, and i needed to eat lunch. it was actually quite fun, and by the end i could almost keep up.

Day Two Afternoon

after the second induction thing i wandered into town to scout out where barclays and santander was, and i tried to do a CV drop. tried being the operative word - all online these days. i also found primark, and i bought a new top and a slightly classier bag for when i go out of an evening.

for biochemistry i had to buy lab kit, safety glasses, and lab coat from the science people at uni. £35 (roughly) by the end, and i had got out £40 for tonight and the lab kit, so i had to get more money out. then i discovered the event i was planning on going to wasnt even easily accesible cuz its on a different campus and the buses stop before the event starts.
Reply 7
Day Two Evening

Tonight was fun, but its hard to describe why. We weren't partying or anything, just eating value pizza and drinking small amounts of leftover alcohol, just chatting. It was intresting getting our ovens to work, because whoever installed them had forgotten to wire them in. Some repair guys came up when we reported it though and fixed it. No-one realised, however, that the ovens needed to do a 'burning off' process. I'm not sure what it is, just getting rid of packaging but basically it looks and smells really alarming because there are wisps of smoke from the back. Obv we turned it all off right away, before checked the manual, which is why we went on to do pizza's when it was all done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Day Three Morning

Today I enrolled on my course, so finger's crossed I should get my loan soon. I'm spending a lot more than I mean to. I enrolled first thing this morning, then I had a talk about my course (biochemistry) which ended, conviently enough, at lunchtime. I had made my own lunch, cheaper, but instead of eatin it I went straight to the freshers fair.

Day Three Afternoon

Fresher's fair was crazy. Never eaten so much free pizza in my life, never got so much free stuff in my life. IT was kind of set up like the UCAS fairs we all went to years, with stalls everywhere with leaflets and free stuff, except with better free stuff than UCAS fairs had. I signed up to a GP.

all my free stuff

nine dominoes voucher books (and 3 pizza hut voucher books)

i dont even drink energy drinks
Reply 9
Day Three Evening

Well, firstly, the people on th floor below us had a little accident whilst cooking and set off the fire alarm. There was no actual fire. Just the alarm. A guy from the student union used the opportunity to promote the comedy night they were hosting.

I went along to the comedy night. No-one told me that until I got my student ID i needed to carry around my boarding pass or I'd have to pay extra, so I ended up paying extra. The first act was quite good, a stand up called nat luurstand or lurrstrong or something. Anyway. In the intermission I ran back and got my boarding pass so I wouldnt be charged extra at the club. The second act, an 'emergancy broadcast' by Peacock & Gamble wasn't so great. It wasn't stand up, it was mucking about on stage. Some bits were funny, but other people thought it was all quite good.

Then we went onto a club called walkabout. As I mentioned before, I havnt really done the whole clubbing thing much, or at all, so I was at a bit of a loose end. After a few drinks I was just about ready to dance when some flat mates turned up, so that was good. After a while I started dancing with this guy, but something about the way he was looking at me/acting spooked me, so i left and went home. Then I overslept the next day.
Original post by jendra9311
Day Three Evening

Well, firstly, the people on th floor below us had a little accident whilst cooking and set off the fire alarm. There was no actual fire. Just the alarm. A guy from the student union used the opportunity to promote the comedy night they were hosting.

I went along to the comedy night. No-one told me that until I got my student ID i needed to carry around my boarding pass or I'd have to pay extra, so I ended up paying extra. The first act was quite good, a stand up called nat luurstand or lurrstrong or something. Anyway. In the intermission I ran back and got my boarding pass so I wouldnt be charged extra at the club. The second act, an 'emergancy broadcast' by Peacock & Gamble wasn't so great. It wasn't stand up, it was mucking about on stage. Some bits were funny, but other people thought it was all quite good.

Then we went onto a club called walkabout. As I mentioned before, I havnt really done the whole clubbing thing much, or at all, so I was at a bit of a loose end. After a few drinks I was just about ready to dance when some flat mates turned up, so that was good. After a while I started dancing with this guy, but something about the way he was looking at me/acting spooked me, so i left and went home. Then I overslept the next day.

Welcome to Wolverhampton :lol:

Great blog so far though, and damn that's a lot of free stuff!
Reply 11
hey :biggrin: really entertaining blog btw

my insurance choice is Wolverhampton for September 2012 :biggrin: what's it like there, i've had mixed reports about it!
Reply 12
Wednesday 14th September
Day Four Morning

One of the first things I did was oversleep, not particularly clever since this was my earliest start of the week. I had a "UniSmart" lecture, all about surviving at Uni, and it was really clever. The guy in it was quite funny, he did a lot of accents and roleplays and often mimed these two people called Bruce and Priscilla. Bruce is meant to be huge and Priscilla tiny. During the talk he made a big thing of how some us in the year would get married, and at the end Bruce and Priscilla got married.

Otherwise he was just doing standard stuff, budgeting, making friends, homesickness, stds, mental health, all the stuff you get at secondary but with "welcome to uni" thrown in.

Not a whole lot happpened the rest of the day. I did have to go to a 'meet the staff' mixer but my personal tutor doesnt arrive for another week, so i couldbt meet her. i did get free prawn crackers though, so there's always an upside.
Reply 13
Day Four Evening

Apparently there had been a party a few floors down when I was out yesterday, and apparently there was going to be a party again tonight, so i got dressed up and went downstairs with some flatmates only to find there was no party. so we drank in our flat instead.
Reply 14
Day Five

I overslept again, but i dont think it counts as oversleeping if i have nothing to go to. In the afternoon we had a lab activity which was a bit odd, we were all given a carrot and we had to write a description of it. Then they mixed up the carrots and we had to find the carrot from our description, and then we had to find someone else's carrot from thier description. It was all about good observation skills.

I did try a body sculpture free taster session. I thought it was a new form of yoga or something... it was circuits. If i'm gonna do exercise, i want it to be fun.

That evening my flat did a communal meal. We all gave vicky £1.50 and then she made spag bol for everyone. It was really nice. It's been said we'll do that every thursday, evryone taking a turn to cook a different meal.
Good read so far, thank you for the updates.

That is a ridiculous amount of free stuff! Is that the norm wherever you go? :zomg:
this blog makes me want to cry...
Reply 17
wolverhampton seems good so far, everythings fairly close together and there always seems to be loads of buses whenever i want to cross a road so the transport links must be good :wink:

i dont know what the norm is for free stuff, this is my first time at university, but all the companies want you to sign up with them rather than anyone else., which is why they entice students with free pizza and cakes and sweets and hotdogs and pens and well you get the idea.

it was quite funny when i left freshers fair to see three competeing pizza companies within about 10 metres all trying to get as many leaflets into student hands as possible - one even gave me a freebie for "my friend on the phone" who i was texting to at the time!!
Reply 18
Friday
Day Six

Wierdly, no-one in my flat went out much tonight. I think we had all spent too much, and I wasnt going out because I had learnt over the course of Thursday and Friday that my student loan would be delayed and no-one could tell me when I would get it.

Yesterday, before that body sculpture class, a guy had come up to me and randomly asked for my number. He seemed alright. We were going to go out this night, but as I said money was short and it was raining anyway, so we rescheduled for Saturday Lunchtime at Nando's.

Gotta love Nando's.

Friday was fairly dominated by me calling student finance, running our of credit on my phone, asking my parents for more credit since I had no money left to top up my phone with, calling student finance again... etc. It wasn't a good day.

I was going to be all healthy and defrost some soup I had made before uni and never eaten, but when i defrosted it I remembered that the freezing process basically adds water so I had very watery soup. I bunged in some noodles and thier associated flavour packet, so not so healthy, but delicious. Then we had a movie night.

I realise that prehaps I'm atypical in my student activites, but for me this has been a very social week, I don't usually go out this much or even just hang out with friends this much. I'm actually being quite social relative to what I was before uni. There are some people on our floor who go out and get drunk every night, and so far I've managed to sleep through them, but that lifestyle doesnt appeal to me. I also dont have the stamina for it...
Reply 19
I live in Wolverhampton!
It's great here. I find there is enough shops to go shopping in the centre, but not too many so that you don't have time to look around and they're all decent size (love the primark, even if it is a bit messy).
All the food places are pretty good.
The pantomime at the Grand is always good to see.
It's only a train ride away from Birmingham.
The clubs are supposed to be good, not that I've ever been to any.
The bus services are better than most places in my opinion.
And lastly my brother went to Wolvo Uni and loved it there.
I hope you have a great time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending