The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Aleandcynicism
*sigh*

Dyslexia does not equal unintelligent. You as a person who has dyslexia should know this.

What, about what she wrote, led you to believe that that was her view.
Original post by plimsolls
What, about what she wrote, led you to believe that that was her view.

ive been diagnosed with dyslexia since i was in year six-for my g.c.s.e's i got 6 A* and 3 As and a B in meadia
i agree nowadays anyone that shows any weakness is labbeled as dyslexic.

There's no need to show off general grades in a discussion about dyslexia.
Reply 382
you get people who are clever and are actually dyslexic, but also you get stupid people that are dyslexic which try to make out they are not stupid but dyslexic even though they are both.
Reply 383
mate i was just proving a point at the other posts and the title of the thread
As it currently stands, dyslexia is a diagnosis without meaning. There is no specific treatment, there is no specific prognosis. It may well be a specific problem, but until we have something we can actually do about it, terms like 'dyslexia' should really be confined to the research laboratories where it actually has a meaning.

A little personal experience; I was told i was dyslexic when i was younger. I do get occasions when i intend to write one set of letters but write another, which other people don't seem to get, which makes me think there may well be a specific neurological problem out there. I was encouraged to read lots after the diagnosis, and now the problem doesn't affect me at all in terms of ability. Maybe it would never have though :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385
Dyslexia is a real condition, and is recognised medically.
However, as a teacher, I've noticed that it is now very common for people to claim they or their child have it, when they are simply (crudely put) not as intelligent. Due to the fact that the effects of dyslexia are well known, it is very easy for people to 'fake it' or to at least think that they have it. Especially in secondary schools where you get bonus' for having it, it seems. When I was at college, anyone with dyslexia was allowed a few lapbook. Recently, one of my friends took an exam and was allowed 'extra time' for it. For real dyslexic people in which reading is a problem, that extra time (usually) makes no different, because they still cannot see what they are reading wrong.
Original post by Aleandcynicism
I'm dyspraxic. When I was in primary school I really struggled with co-ordination, handwriting, concentration and thus was a bit of a naughty kid. Some of my teachers and my parents knew that something was up, but my headteacher had none of it. She was very much of the old 'if you can't do this your child is lazy' school. We even had handwriting tests that she sometimes would come into our class to 'inspect' and used to belittle me in front of everyone.

Thankfully, one of my teachers set me up to be independently diagnoses and as such my parents fought to get me the help I needed, no thanks to the school at large. People who run schools often aren't in the know about things like dyspraxia and dyslexia and sometimes can be quite a disadvantage to the pupils who have them.

Similar thing happened with my brother (autistic), there was a lot of support thankfully but my parents had to do a lot for him.

It's very common for people to be ignorant about mental disorders but that's mainly down to the complexity of diagnosis and the wide range of conditions within each category. People can 'relate' to a physical handcap a bit more since it's visible but many just don't understand mental disorders.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Benevolence
'Title from article'

"Dyslexia is a social fig leaf used by middle-class parents who fear their children will be labelled as low achievers, a professor has claimed.
Julian Elliott, a leading educational psychologist at Durham University, says he has found no evidence to identify dyslexia as a medical condition after more than 30 years of research.

Discuss

The term dyslexia was coined to differentiate children with high IQ that had difficulty reading from those with 'normal' reading problems. It seems intuitive that if someone who is otherwise very intelligent can't read very well then there is something wrong. However, we now know that reading, or at least decoding, is not a highly intellectual task. This is why even people with profound learning difficulties can learn to read quite well.

What this professor is saying is that there is no scientifically measurable way to differentiate between someone who has difficulty reading and someone who is 'dyslexic'. The kinds of behaviours exhibited by 'dyslexics' are exactly the same as those of younger children who are reading normally for their age. Either everyone who has problems with reading is dyslexic or nobody is and therefore the term isn't helpful at all. In fact it's worse than that, because the term is divisive. It divides those who have difficulty reading into two groups when in actuality there is only one. The 'dyslexic' group gets a disproportionate amount of resources which leads parents, particularly middle class parents who have higher expectations of their child, to push for a diagnosis so they can obtain a statement of special educational needs. Statistically a middle class child is more likely to have a label of dyslexia applied to them and therefore the middle classes are getting a disproportionate share of the resources.

The money spent on giving dyslexics extra time, laptops and coloured glasses would be much better off spent on helping all those with reading difficulties at an early age before the problem starts to impact on their education.
Original post by nexttime
As it currently stands, dyslexia is a diagnosis without meaning. There is no specific treatment, there is no specific prognosis. It may well be a specific problem, but until we have something we can actually do about it, terms like 'dyslexia' should really be confined to the research laboratories where it actually has a meaning.

That could be said about many other conditions. There's no treatment and no specific prognosis for at least 3 conditions I have. Does this mean none of them are real? Even though you can see at least two of them.

The money spent on giving dyslexics extra time, laptops and coloured glasses

Coloured glasses have nothing to do with being Dyslexic. Many get the coloured glasses due to Irlens Syndrome - that isn't Dyslexia.
I Tinhk I hvae lysdexia too.
Original post by OU Student
Coloured glasses have nothing to do with being Dyslexic. Many get the coloured glasses due to Irlens Syndrome - that isn't Dyslexia.

This is simply not true as I've seen coloured overlays and spectacles actively promoted as a treatment for dyslexia. It doesn't help that the BBC ran a documentary in which a high profile soap star was prescribed coloured glass in order to alleviate her 'dyslexia'.

Specsavers also has a page devoted to it on the website.

The education charity Dyslexia Action, say, "It is true that coloured lenses and/or overlays can be helpful to individuals who are dyslexic.".

The British Dyslexia Association says, "Many dyslexic people are sensitive to the glare of white backgrounds on a page...the use of cream or pastel coloured backgrounds can mitigate this difficulty as can coloured filters either as an overlay or as tinted reading glasses."

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Pages/Display.aspx?IDPost=6539a93b-c001-4faa-9553-23a30713ea3d
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/about-dyslexia/further-information/eyes-and-dyslexia.html
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/dyslexia-and-coloured-glasses/
2 of my teachers claim to be dyslexic. its so annoying!
Original post by maturestudy
This is simply not true as I've seen coloured overlays and spectacles actively promoted as a treatment for dyslexia. It doesn't help that the BBC ran a documentary in which a high profile soap star was prescribed coloured glass in order to alleviate her 'dyslexia'.

Specsavers also has a page devoted to it on the website.

The education charity Dyslexia Action, say, "It is true that coloured lenses and/or overlays can be helpful to individuals who are dyslexic.".

The British Dyslexia Association says, "Many dyslexic people are sensitive to the glare of white backgrounds on a page...the use of cream or pastel coloured backgrounds can mitigate this difficulty as can coloured filters either as an overlay or as tinted reading glasses."

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Pages/Display.aspx?IDPost=6539a93b-c001-4faa-9553-23a30713ea3d
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/about-dyslexia/further-information/eyes-and-dyslexia.html
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/dyslexia-and-coloured-glasses/

Sorry; but you're wrong. People wear coloured glasses because of Irlens Syndrome, which is common with people who are Dyslexic. They don't wear the coloured glasses due to being Dyslexic.

I should know - I do have Irlens Syndrome.
low intelligence =/= dyslexia
Reply 394
I don't know what to think about the 'Dyslexic' thing. I know many people that throw the word around because they're just general idiots who can't spell or read simple words. But I have one friend who was diagnosed at the age of 16 with Dyslexia and for many years all her friends, family and teachers have thought she was Dyslexic. She can read and write very well, but gets a lot of words confused, gets meanings mixed up and takes up a lot of time trying to write well because she doesn't want to get it wrong. I don't know whether they said she was Dsylexic just to help her in exams for the sheer amount of time she takes to write.

I get really annoyed at people who just throw the word around. Somebody spells you're like your and suddenly it's 'Oh!! I'm Dyslexic, so it doesn't matter.'
I think that there are individuals that genuinely suffer from it, but like ADHD and may other things it's grossly over diagnosed. And it does piss me off quite how much aid some of my peers to get, especially as a few of them are fully aware that they don't need it.

Not like you're gonna get extra time for everything in the 'real world' because you happen to be a ****ty reader ('reader' here being used to cover what dyslexia claims to cover, before some ******* gets pedantic).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by concubine
And it does piss me off quite how much aid some of my peers to get, especially as a few of them are fully aware that they don't need it.

You can't get extra time just because you have Dyslexia. My extra time was recommended in my report. (I was given it anyway due to other issues)
Original post by EconsVsHumans
"On one degree course I teach, about one quarter of the students get help with their coursework and other assistance because they have this label. You become quite cynical."

1/4 :eek:

During my undergrad I knew literally about 8 people who did exactly this. None of them were actually dyslexic.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I don't know. My sister who is atrocious at maths claims to have dyslexia concerning numbers, but I can't help but think that in the old days we'd have called it 'being **** at maths'. It's so now to eradicate anything as simple as not being good at something.

Get out of my mind.
Reply 399
Im dyslexic, and still managed to get good GCSEs and am predicted AAB at a level. I just have a problem processing what ive read fast, and so have to read things over and over in order for me to work out what its on about.
I just read the posts above, and extra time is only given if your teachers/someone recommends you for it and genuinely thinks it will benefit you. You cant automatically get it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest