The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nathanielle
Before stating things like that, it may be helpful to give some evidence. (Like already said, Einstein was reading Kant at the age of 14 and began Primary School one year earlier. This would be quite hard for a dyslexic child needing special support in a time, when no support existed at all.)

In my opinion there is no evidence that Einstein was dyslexic and it is just an attempt to label every famous scientist/politician/whatever as somehow special.

You're right, there isn't enough evidence to support what I said. I shouldn't have been so categorical.
Some people find things harder than others, and the ones who find it hardest are those with dyslexia. But rather than they find things hard because they have dyslexia, they have dyslexia because they find it hard.
I think it applies to everything. It's not that dyslexic people shouldn't get help, but that more people should get help. I am crap at sports, but in ten years I will be diagnosed with dysportsia. I'm waiting for my free laptop.
My boss is dyslexic; he can't spell for toffee, he uses text to speech for everything (even when reading normal-length emails - it would take him twice as long otherwise), and is only really able to focus on one thing at once. Yet despite this he has a first class degree in Psychology and started a business selling assistive software which, several years after he graduated, is employing 6 other people!

So no, dyslexia is not just another word for stupidity; it's a genuine disability which, if the individual develops coping strategies to deal with it, can be overcome (or at least cease to be a barrier to success).
Reply 583
I think 10% of people who are 'dyslexic' are actually dyslexic, same with dyspraxia.
Original post by niamh suzannah
Some people find things harder than others, and the ones who find it hardest are those with dyslexia. But rather than they find things hard because they have dyslexia, they have dyslexia because they find it hard.
I think it applies to everything. It's not that dyslexic people shouldn't get help, but that more people should get help. I am crap at sports, but in ten years I will be diagnosed with dysportsia. I'm waiting for my free laptop.

Being crap at sports doesn't hinder you in the vast majority of jobs, though. And there is a condition called dyspraxia which would likely make you bad at sports. If your future successes did depend on being good at sport, and you had dyspraxia, you would be entitled to expect some sort of provision analogous to what dyslexics receive.

And the italicised part is incorrect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 585

Yes, this is mind-bendingly difficult for most people to understand, though.

Dyslexia isn't finding it difficult, it's having a very real medical problem with fine image processing. This kind of attitude is ignorant, people with dyslexia have difficulty reading because of their condition. It's not just a label for the lowest percentiles of reading ability.
Original post by TurboCretin
Being crap at sports doesn't hinder you in the vast majority of jobs, though.

- You are more likely to be considered as weak by your classmates and thus are likely to have to fight harder for social acceptance.
- Nobody would ever get the idea to adjust your grades in PE.
- Can lead to health problems, as you are unlikely to do enough sports.

-> It can be an interesting question, indeed, but it is another topic.
Original post by Ire
I've always wondered why ADHD and dyslexia only seen to exist within the shores of the UK, Canada and America...if 1 in 10 have dyslexia in Britain then it seems to be pretty common, however a BBC report stated a few days ago that almost half of gcse students can't understand the language in their exams. Dyslexia or a failing in the school systems in these countries

And yes its a controversial opinion but I don't think dyslexia exists in China or India or Russia. They have a more rigorous school system. I was reading simbad's tales, king Solomon's mines, the hobbit, and other books like that in yr 6 and writing stories: I only joined this education system in yr 7. My 10yr old brother on the other hand is average for the UK in terms of reading however he's still reading baby books in school so he's not being challenged in my opinion. And I think others have pointed this out in previous posts about people just being thick. There's gotta be a link between the UK, Canada and America's decline in the education tables, the amount of dyslexics, the underachievers (only have to look at the programmes on tv) and an education system that's too scared to tell a child :

"you need to work harder/not good enough/sit down and shut up/your work was appalling/do it again/you're being very naughty"

I bet Eton and other selective schools like that don't have as high a rate of dyslexia as other schools but I may be wrong.

That's my tuppence on dyslexia so shoot me :mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Countries like China and India do have dyslexics, just their systems are far more unforgiving and wouldn't recognise it a such. Those people would've been dismissed as failures and most likely been left disowned, unemployed, poor, or all three without the proper help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hypocrism
Dyslexia isn't finding it difficult, it's having a very real medical problem with fine image processing. This kind of attitude is ignorant, people with dyslexia have difficulty reading because of their condition. It's not just a label for the lowest percentiles of reading ability.

You are contradicting yourself: Dyslexia isn't finding it difficult...people with dyslexia have difficulty reading => Why they find it difficult is another question, but finding something difficult is not saying anything about laziness or whatsoever. I really don't get this: "Dyslexia is no disability/obstacle/disadvantage, yet it is a disadvantage/disability which has to be accomodated.". Noone with glasses would talk like this considering his ability to see. He would just wear his glasses and would not feel uncomfortable, when someone would say, he isn't able to read without glasses and has big difficulties with his eyesight.
You are contradicting yourself: Dyslexia isn't finding it difficult...people with dyslexia have difficulty reading => Why they find it difficult is another question, but finding something difficult is not saying anything about laziness or whatsoever. I really don't get this: "Dyslexia is no disability/obstacle/disadvantage, yet it is a disadvantage/disability which has to be accomodated.". Noone with glasses would talk like this considering his ability to see. He would just wear his glasses and would not feel uncomfortable, when someone would say, he isn't able to read without glasses and has big difficulties with his eyesight.

I have no idea what you're trying to say, and I'm not contradicting myself. My post was saying that dyslexia isn't just a label for the bottom say 1% of reading ability, it isn't just a category for people who are really bad at reading, it's a biochemical disease. It's a neurological defect that actually affects their ability to read.

The difference with dyslexia and glasses is that something like short-sightedness is easy to deal with, by wearing glasses, whereas dyslexia is a lot more difficult to deal with, hence why those suffering from it are given support and often special techniques of education to help them overcome the disease.
- You are more likely to be considered as weak by your classmates and thus are likely to have to fight harder for social acceptance.
- Nobody would ever get the idea to adjust your grades in PE.
- Can lead to health problems, as you are unlikely to do enough sports.

-> It can be an interesting question, indeed, but it is another topic.

I don't think any of that is necessarily true - it isn't true as far as my experience goes - and is beside the point I made anyway. But you're right, it is another topic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 592
I think it just stems from over-diagnosis and people throwing the word around when they just can't spell.

I can't spell for toffee (it took me 3 attempts to spell toffee), but that's just because I'm bad at spelling.

However, some people do suffer from dyslexia. I know someone for example who 30 years ago got an offer for Cambridge (turned it down), went to Uni to study theology - has a library full of three inch thick theology books and has read them all loads - a really clever guy. You know those website captcha things where you have to write out the word? He couldn't do them. Just couldn't do them at all because of dyslexia.
Original post by Hanvyj
I think it just stems from over-diagnosis and people throwing the word around when they just can't spell.

There is far more to Dyslexia than not being able to spell.
Reply 594
probably going to get a lot of hate thrown at me for this but it's my opinion and not fact so...

1. I know people who "play up" their condition to get free computer equipment.

that would be ok but it's a shame they get quite so much free equipment (over £3000 worth) while other things that should be government funded like the NHS go massively underfunded. the people who got this computer equipment already had computers and are fairly well off anyway. they don't need it at all but nobody is going to say no to a free computer.

it should be means tested not just passed out to everyone with dyslexia.

2. extra chances for marks, extra time

yes...academically you're compensating them to even the field with people without dyslexia, fine.

but things don't work like that in the real world. if you're working on a big account or piece of work for a client and it's to a deadline, he won't be giving extra time or extra chances to get it right (by letting it get marked twice essentially) he wants it right first time every time.

if not he's just going to go to someone else more reliable. it's not right to tell people they can expect special treatment like that because it's not how it works in the real world (despite government legislation, I know about reasonable adjustment but it doesn't work). if anything they will struggle more because they've been used to special treatment.

in short, yes provide help for people with dyslexia, but it needs to be appropriate and measured and not just be a plaster over their actual problems.
Original post by Laharll
it should be means tested not just passed out to everyone with dyslexia.

Means testing much needed equipment is wrong. It's not passed out to everyone with Dyslexia.

2. extra chances for marks, extra time

yes...academically you're compensating them to even the field with people without dyslexia, fine.

but things don't work like that in the real world. if you're working on a big account or piece of work for a client and it's to a deadline, he won't be giving extra time or extra chances to get it right (by letting it get marked twice essentially) he wants it right first time every time.

They would still be required by law to make reasonable adjustments.

if not he's just going to go to someone else more reliable. it's not right to tell people they can expect special treatment like that because it's not how it works in the real world (despite government legislation, I know about reasonable adjustment but it doesn't work). if anything they will struggle more because they've been used to special treatment.

in short, yes provide help for people with dyslexia, but it needs to be appropriate and measured and not just be a plaster over their actual problems.

Reasonable adjustments and special treatment aren't the same. The help they need is appropriate. In fact, if you read a report by an educational psychologist, they do recommend how much extra time, etc someone should have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 596
Original post by OU Student
There is far more to Dyslexia than not being able to spell.

herp derp

that was my point
I fully agree!

My friend got A* in English Language even though is dyslexic. Dyslexic people tend to blame their failures on their disability.
Original post by Hypocrism

That's lovely of you to call me ignorant, but as dyslexia runs in my family I know quite a lot about it. I obviously don't believe it isn't real. 50 years ago people were labelled 'stupid' but now we know it is dyslexia. There is no stupidity. Also, me being crap at sport, I was bullied (and injured haha) but then diagnosed with gross motor dyspraxia. Because having dyspraxia is what makes me find sport difficult (impossible). I dare anyone to say gross motor dyspraxia isn't real because who would choose to be knocked in the head by a volleyball more than once.

When you say 'it's not just a label for the lowest percentiles of reading ability' I think you've hit on the main point of this thread. It's a spectrum, so more people are varying abilities are being diagnosed. There's no 'finding it difficult' without some underlying cause. Someone earlier in the thread said 25% of his class got help with it? Anyway, a lot of people who ARE ignorant think it is for the lowest percentiles, so they're doubting everyone else who says they have it.
Original post by TurboCretin
Being crap at sports doesn't hinder you in the vast majority of jobs, though. And there is a condition called dyspraxia which would likely make you bad at sports. If your future successes did depend on being good at sport, and you had dyspraxia, you would be entitled to expect some sort of provision analogous to what dyslexics receive.

And the italicised part is incorrect.

I do have 'gross motor dyspraxia'. No provisions though D:
It does sort of hinder me in jobs, because I can't walk past anything without bumping into it. And in group photos I think I'm leaning in with the group but actually I'm 5 metres out. Whether it's dyslexia or dyspraxia or proprioception or whatever, we all just have to work harder.

Latest