The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Can anybody tell me whether I put my current year 1 university modules on my ucas application when transferring?
Original post by Mighty Moe
Can anybody tell me whether I put my current year 1 university modules on my ucas application when transferring?

I didn't.
Reply 182
Hi,

I have just started my first year two weeks ago studying 'BA Hons Health and Social Care' full time. I want to transfer to another university but I don't want to wait until next year. I've also decided to change my course to 'BSc Psychology with Criminology' full time so I looked on UCAS to see universities which still have vacancies. I found some and emailed them to see if they would consider me but they said that they are not accepting any transfer students or new applicants until Sept 2012.

So why does UCAS say they have vacancies in extra and are accepting applicants but when I email universities they say that they don't?

I also asked someone in student support at my uni and she told me the same thing about emailing them.

I really don't want to wait till next year. Any help please? :frown:
Hi! I'm studying pharmacy at Portsmouth but I don't like it there cuz I live at home, and is having a bad time there ( Haven't got lots of mates)! I got a 2:1 in my first year and got ABC for A-levels! Will I
Check the FAQ and if that doesn't answer your questions then ask them in there.
Original post by jal999
Hi,

I have just started my first year two weeks ago studying 'BA Hons Health and Social Care' full time. I want to transfer to another university but I don't want to wait until next year. I've also decided to change my course to 'BSc Psychology with Criminology' full time so I looked on UCAS to see universities which still have vacancies. I found some and emailed them to see if they would consider me but they said that they are not accepting any transfer students or new applicants until Sept 2012.

So why does UCAS say they have vacancies in extra and are accepting applicants but when I email universities they say that they don't?

I also asked someone in student support at my uni and she told me the same thing about emailing them.

Do you mind if I ask how you saw on UCAS that universities have vacancies? I'm wondering if I could to this too?
I'm applying for a transfer and have started a new UCAS 2012 application.

Since I got horrible grades last year, I'll be retaking a unit or two to get my UCAS Points high enough to meet entry reqs. as well as doing my degree course. Luckily my coursework and exams on the degree are nicely laid out, and I'm confident they wont clash and affect each other.

I do not want to tell the university what I go this year. Firstly because I'll get a stonewall rejection, and secondly because I know I can do better and prove to them (and myself) that I can turn this around.

Would they allow me to predict myself a higher grade, or could I leave the grades section unspecified, or even let them know I'll be retaking units?

The places I'm applying to, I've checked that the modules are quite similar, and will leave it to the admissions people to judge. Its just the A Levels I'm worried about, will they base an ofer (if I get one) on my performance this year, or last years aswell?

please guys any input is appreciated!
Reply 187
Original post by jal999
Hi,

The applications cycle for this year has ended; I wouldn't pay attention to UCAS Extra courses. When people start their courses and the whole Extra and Clearing/Adjustment process has ended, so do applications, so you'll have to wait until next year to transfer into Year 1 or 2 of another course somewhere else.
Original post by unknown681
I'm applying for a transfer and have started a new UCAS 2012 application.

Since I got horrible grades last year, I'll be retaking a unit or two to get my UCAS Points high enough to meet entry reqs. as well as doing my degree course. Luckily my coursework and exams on the degree are nicely laid out, and I'm confident they wont clash and affect each other.

I do not want to tell the university what I go this year. Firstly because I'll get a stonewall rejection, and secondly because I know I can do better and prove to them (and myself) that I can turn this around.

Would they allow me to predict myself a higher grade, or could I leave the grades section unspecified, or even let them know I'll be retaking units?

The places I'm applying to, I've checked that the modules are quite similar, and will leave it to the admissions people to judge. Its just the A Levels I'm worried about, will they base an ofer (if I get one) on my performance this year, or last years aswell?

please guys any input is appreciated!

You have to put your A2 grades down if they are cashed in (which is certain since you need qualification for your current uni anyway) you should get your current university tutors to write you a reference as specified in the first post and let the unis know you are retaking some exams. It's likely they will ask for the required A-level grades and/or a certain mark in your first year of uni.
Original post by Casshern1456
You have to put your A2 grades down if they are cashed in (which is certain since you need qualification for your current uni anyway) you should get your current university tutors to write you a reference as specified in the first post and let the unis know you are retaking some exams. It's likely they will ask for the required A-level grades and/or a certain mark in your first year of uni.

I have cashed in grades yes, but if send my application of with them I'm sure I wont get an offer back. :frown:

I'll let my referee know that I'll be retaking, however would the uni's frown on me retaking while I'm supposed to be studying hard for my degree?
Original post by unknown681
I have cashed in grades yes, but if send my application of with them I'm sure I wont get an offer back. :frown:

I'll let my referee know that I'll be retaking, however would the uni's frown on me retaking while I'm supposed to be studying hard for my degree?

No for the second question. Most university don't frown on people retaking I've looked around on tsr and most answers seem to be consistent university don't frown as long as you get the grades. And, it's not so much "oh if I let them see my bad grades they won't give me an offer" everyone has to declare the grades they have no matter if it's an A or an E. It's the law if uni find out you've been lying your application can be withdrawn.

I would give it a few weeks until your tutor knows you better to compile a good academic reference for you and work hard for your resits you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Marc Fiorano
I can confirm this.
The new fees will apply to students starting 2012, as a second year student you will have started in 2011.

If you transfer to first year then you'll be charged the higher fees.

I've been reading around on TSR and some posters are saying that even as a second year transfer student you still may have to pay the higher fee rate in 2012 - is there any truth in this at all?

I was under the impression that because you aren't a new entrant into the system, you would still retain the lower fee rate, as you entered the system in 2011 even though you are transferring to another University for your second year in 2012.
Reply 192
Education part- for filling transfer, do you add the University you are going to currently, it ask for star date and finish dat what do you put? and will i be recieving any qualifications
Reply 193
Original post by sav91
I've been reading around on TSR and some posters are saying that even as a second year transfer student you still may have to pay the higher fee rate in 2012 - is there any truth in this at all?

I was under the impression that because you aren't a new entrant into the system, you would still retain the lower fee rate, as you entered the system in 2011 even though you are transferring to another University for your second year in 2012.

What if you are studying your course with foundation year and you want to transfer University but continue with your course since you are transferring into the 1st year does that mean you pay the 9000?
Original post by darkiee
What if you are studying your course with foundation year and you want to transfer University but continue with your course since you are transferring into the 1st year does that mean you pay the 9000?

Interesting question, I would say yes because it is not actually a transfer but simply taking up the degree course elsewhere. I would seek clarification directly from SF if I were you though (as of course people should do anyway).
Original post by darkiee
Education part- for filling transfer, do you add the University you are going to currently, it ask for star date and finish dat what do you put? and will i be recieving any qualifications

You put the day you will finish and you may well be achieving a CertHE or a Diploma of Continuing Education but you will need to clarify this policy with the university (it should be contained in the assessment regulations and such).
Original post by sav91

You will not have to pay the higher fee as long as you do not start a new course and thus have to make a new application.
Reply 197
Hello..

At GCSE I studied at my local school and achieved high grades (6 A*'s and 5 A's) and due to the lack of sixth form locally I had to travel to a different college to do my A levels. I didn't settle very well due to the increased class sizes/travelling and only achieved C's. Due to my result it meant I couldn't attend my first choice uni which would have been the University of Leeds so I chose Leeds Met.

So far a few weeks into my course (Business & Management) I have found that I'm not enjoying it too much, a lot of people there I feel aren't actually there to gain a degree and more coming for the sake of coming to university, without sounding arrogant.

I was wondering about university transfers and how they work. Say I achieved a 2:1 or a 1st class degree overall in my first year, would it be possible to transfer to the University of Leeds? I wouldn't mind retaking my first year if it made the transfer possible.

I was just wondering how it worked and whether anyone had any personal experience with this? especially with the 2 specific universities..
Original post by neil1993
Hello..

At GCSE I studied at my local school and achieved high grades (6 A*'s and 5 A's) and due to the lack of sixth form locally I had to travel to a different college to do my A levels. I didn't settle very well due to the increased class sizes/travelling and only achieved C's. Due to my result it meant I couldn't attend my first choice uni which would have been the University of Leeds so I chose Leeds Met.

So far a few weeks into my course (Business & Management) I have found that I'm not enjoying it too much, a lot of people there I feel aren't actually there to gain a degree and more coming for the sake of coming to university, without sounding arrogant.

I was wondering about university transfers and how they work. Say I achieved a 2:1 or a 1st class degree overall in my first year, would it be possible to transfer to the University of Leeds? I wouldn't mind retaking my first year if it made the transfer possible.

I was just wondering how it worked and whether anyone had any personal experience with this? especially with the 2 specific universities..

It's theoretically possible yes, but as to whether or not it is realistic you will have to ask the department at Leeds and that should be the first thing you do. Simply ask if it would be at all possible and they will get back to you.
Reply 199
Original post by paddy__power
Interesting question, I would say yes because it is not actually a transfer but simply taking up the degree course elsewhere. I would seek clarification directly from SF if I were you though (as of course people should do anyway).

hmm, but i am studying the foundation year of the 4 year program so i think it should be a transfer, i am studying Beng mechanical engineering including foundation year (4years) but i am gna call SF now to clarify,

I have called they said as long as I am transferring to a 3year course I wouldnt get affected by the 9grand fees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending