The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

you just apply through ucas again? as you would if you were doing your A levels, and fill out your education and right that you're currently studying at uni? :lolwut:
Reply 381
You apply through Ucas again seeing as that is the only way the Universities will know that you have applied to them.. Just fill it in like you did last time whilst adding what you want to do now.

Just a suggestion.. Can you not just ring the Uni that you want to transfer to tell them that you want to study there and leave your details with them. Try it and find out where you'l get.

But to be on the safe side and to make sure that you have definitely got your place apply to Ucas :smile:
Reply 382
There is a whole sticky on University Transfers here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by dr.evil

Original post by dr.evil
anyone ?

see the first post in this thread.
Reply 384
Original post by ex10117
Hi,
I was in a similar situation to you. I was an aerospace engineering student in QMUL, really hated it there for several reasons but i managed to get a 1st overall in my 1st year. Last year I didnt make the A level grades for an offer at UCL (BBB but offer was AAB). My original plan was to drop out and retake A-levels but meaning the 9k fee; the day i got my results from QMUL I called up many unis and most of them didn't accept transfers to 2nd year or even a restart in a new course. Luckily KCL accepted and within a day I made a brand new UCAS application and student finance as well.

KCL - G300 (BSc Computer Science) - Unconditional Decilned
KCL - F300 (BSc Physics) - Unconditional Firmed

Note that for 2011 entry both courses needed AAB offer but I didnt make that pre-requisite so they took into account the most recent set of results being my QMUL transcript. Do not be discouraged as some unis will only take your university results as it is the most recent set. I am happy that I got into Kings and now I am awaiting september to start my course and the start that I always wanted.

I hope that encourages you a bit^^

So does that mean that a person should complete all their first year modules before starting an application through ucas? and will it be a brand new fresh application, because standard deadline is 15th jan.
Original post by longman240
Thanks for the advice! I do plan to work my ass off and then get in touch with Birmingham and Aston about transferring, although I would have to transfer because of the situation i've explained above, it's more necessity than choice.

Hey longman,

I also want to transfer to aston to do mech eng. Do you know whether they wiil accept transfers and also would we incur the 9000 tuition fee?

Thank you
I apologise for having not updated this, but as it seems nobody reads the OP anyway I don't feel as bad :lol:
Reply 387
Hi,

I was just wondering hypothetically say if i was studying law at a uni for example were i needed 300 ucas points and my a level results were ABBC (one of them being in general studies and I am on track for a first in my first year...

Can i switch and go to a university like for example Nottingham university? and re do my degree? as in do first year again?

Nottingham want AAA...I have ABBC but a first from my first year...would they still give me an offer?

can this be said for universities like Warwick, Uni of Leicester etc?
Original post by icon2007
Hi,

I was just wondering hypothetically say if i was studying law at a uni for example were i needed 300 ucas points and my a level results were ABBC (one of them being in general studies and I am on track for a first in my first year...

Can i switch and go to a university like for example Nottingham university? and re do my degree? as in do first year again?

Nottingham want AAA...I have ABBC but a first from my first year...would they still give me an offer?

I think you should phone up the uni you want to apply to and ask we don't know for sure, each uni has it's own policy but chances are you will need to meet their AAA requirement as well as obtain a 2:1 for first year if it is in the chosen subject you want to do at the other uni's.
Hi,

If they give you an offer then yes which isn't unheard of but also isn't very likely.

They may, they may not, they probably won't is probably the most concise response. The above poster is correct in saying that you should talk to the universities you are interested in as policy will vary and frankly they know far better than any of us what they do or do not accept at any given time.
Hi,

I do Law, and transferred to another university and I was 40 ucas points short but they still let me in. I can't stress this enough though... MAKE SURE THE COURSES ARE COMPATIBLE! My uni told me they were but 2 weeks before I was due to start I found out they weren't and now I won't have a qualifying degree because they've had to try cobble something together.
Original post by insignificant
I do Law, and transferred to another university and I was 40 ucas points short but they still let me in. I can't stress this enough though... MAKE SURE THE COURSES ARE COMPATIBLE! My uni told me they were but 2 weeks before I was due to start I found out they weren't and now I won't have a qualifying degree because they've had to try cobble something together.[/

What if you started the degree fresh from year one? I'm guessing you transferred into second year?
[QUOTE="Wakasmasood;35471556"]
Original post by insignificant
I do Law, and transferred to another university and I was 40 ucas points short but they still let me in. I can't stress this enough though... MAKE SURE THE COURSES ARE COMPATIBLE! My uni told me they were but 2 weeks before I was due to start I found out they weren't and now I won't have a qualifying degree because they've had to try cobble something together.[/

What if you started the degree fresh from year one? I'm guessing you transferred into second year?

Yes I transferred into second year, I suppose it may be different if you are restarting at another uni, as each uni is different you will have to check with them.
Original post by danger_1000
Hey longman,

I also want to transfer to aston to do mech eng. Do you know whether they wiil accept transfers and also would we incur the 9000 tuition fee?

Thank you

Hey, I think they do afaik, where are you at the moment? For a transfer you would be looking at, at least 65-70% in your first year, before they'll even consider you. Get in touch now, explain that you want to transfer and ask what the procedure is. As far as I am aware, if you do a direct transfer onto the same discipline in the second year, at the moment it seems it won't incur new fees. But get in touch and find out, best of luck!

P.S. I'm not transferring anymore, I'm at DMU and I'd rather stay settled there tbh, I love it!
Reply 394
So I am currently half way through my second year of a four year music perfromanced based undergraduate degree at a music college. I am not very happy with the course and college for various reasons but I don't want to throw away the opportunity for a degree, especially as I have already invested so much time and effort into it. I was wondering if anyone knows the possibility of transferring the credits from two years study on my B(Mus)Hons course to a university based music degree. Someone told me that it was possible to go straight into the third year of the course, does anyone know if this is possible? I am studying my degree currently in Scotland, would this have an effect on the validity of the credits if I tried to transfer to an English university?

Thanks! :rolleyes:
Reply 395
Hey, I plan on leaving the university I'm at and I'm applying to study elsewhere next year in September. Now I'm worried about StudentFinance, what will happen with this years loan given I still have to pay for my accomm and student fees?
Reply 396
Original post by Atmos
Hey, I plan on leaving the university I'm at and I'm applying to study elsewhere next year in September. Now I'm worried about StudentFinance, what will happen with this years loan given I still have to pay for my accomm and student fees?
You will need to check with Student Finance on this one -

As you can still apply while attending university, is it worth considering completing the year? Some unis will award a Certificate of Higher Education for a successfully completed first year; even if they don't, the unis you are applying to now may allow good results to enhance your A level grades, so you can aim higher.
Reply 397
Original post by Minerva
You will need to check with Student Finance on this one -

As you can still apply while attending university, is it worth considering completing the year? Some unis will award a Certificate of Higher Education for a successfully completed first year; even if they don't, the unis you are applying to now may allow good results to enhance your A level grades, so you can aim higher.

I wouldn't like to continue this year as I really despise my course which is why I'm asking this question about student finance, if I didn't mind my course too much I would complete it without a second thought.

I'm fine with having a full loan this year and having to pay that back in the future, but what I cant do is have my loan be cut when I still have to pay for the course and accomm.
Reply 398
Original post by Atmos
I wouldn't like to continue this year as I really despise my course which is why I'm asking this question about student finance, if I didn't mind my course too much I would complete it without a second thought.

I'm fine with having a full loan this year and having to pay that back in the future, but what I cant do is have my loan be cut when I still have to pay for the course and accomm.
But that's the point - once you withdraw from a course I believe your loan entitlement stops, so you wouldn't get the loan instalments for the rest of the year. Also, if you have received any grants or bursaries you may find that you are required to pay any money you have already received back straight away. That's why you need to discuss the implications of leaving your current course now with Student Finance ASAP, before doing anything final.
Reply 399
Original post by Minerva
But that's the point - once you withdraw from a course I believe your loan entitlement stops, so you wouldn't get the loan instalments for the rest of the year. Also, if you have received any grants or bursaries you may find that you are required to pay any money you have already received back straight away. That's why you need to discuss the implications of leaving your current course now with Student Finance ASAP, before doing anything final.

Ok, I'll talk to Student Finance soon then, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending