The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power
They would consider you but whether or not you can mount a serious application is another question and one only they can answer. I would imagine that you would have more chance of getting an offer for first year entry somewhere else if you are doing well this year. Ultimately it is worth you asking universities because you have nothing to lose but honestly I wouldn't have high expectations.

Best of luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 481
Original post by delaura04
So I'm hoping to transfer to Oxford Brookes for second year and have a few questions (they've probably already been answered but don't want to trawl through the whole thread). For my personal statement shall I use the one I submitted last year and should I tweak it to mention my first year at uni? who shall I get my references from, sixth form or current uni? Also, where do you mention your first year uni in the ucas application? I tried to add it under education but it couldn't find it.

Thank You :smile:

Hi I'm also transferring to Brookes for my second year. I used my original personal statement as a base and improved it -much less daunting than starting from scratch. Also they wanted me to say why i wanted to transfer in my statement so I did dedicate like 2 lines to it. :smile:

I originally was going to use my school reference but in the end they wouldn't let me and I'm glad they didn't my uni tutor reference is much much better!

If you can't find your uni under education then enter the full name of it and put XXXX as the institution code. Hope that helps and hopefully see you there next year. :smile:
Reply 482
Do you think it is worth transfering from the University of The West of England, Bristol to Oxford Brookes university to study Business (N100)? In terms of overall ranking Oxford Brookes is about 20 places better, and in ranking of the course, Oxford Brookes is also ranked about 20 places better. I have submitted an application through UCAS and I am waiting upon an offer or rejection but I am still in two minds as to whether it is worth transfering or not in order to have better job prospects for when I graduate, does it matter or not? I wanted to go to Oxford Brookes before I applied to university and when I did apply they never gave me offer, now I may have the chance to transfer into the second sure I am really stuck.. I also get the impression they have slightly better graduate prospects and links with employers especially for my placement year too. Help anyone?
Reply 483
I've just sent away my UCAS to transfer into second year at liverpool hope. But they are lookig Transcripts from my current un which i don't know how to go about getting. Suggestions please?
Original post by paddy__power
They would consider you but whether or not you can mount a serious application is another question and one only they can answer. I would imagine that you would have more chance of getting an offer for first year entry somewhere else if you are doing well this year. Ultimately it is worth you asking universities because you have nothing to lose but honestly I wouldn't have high expectations.

Best of luck :smile:

Hi Paddy Power, doing a brief bit of research for my girlfriend I stumbled across this thread and noticed you said a few things that give us a bit of hope regarding our situation.

Emma is in her first year of a joint honours at Canterbury university where she wants to exchange to the same joint honours course at Hull university. This all seemed perfectly feasible until out of the blue (after passing most 'tests' of the transfer) she got an email notifying her that she would have to pay the full 9,000 tuition fees if she transferred to the uni in her second year.

Given the financial implications, that doesn't really seem feasible, yet you seem to think that this stance is incorrect? Sorry to be a nuisance but I'd really really appreciate it if you could let me know what you thought were the facts of the matter. Are they entitled to charge this? If so, would speaking to Student Finance be our next step? etc.

Thanks for your time,
Sam
Original post by Briefrespite
Hi Paddy Power, doing a brief bit of research for my girlfriend I stumbled across this thread and noticed you said a few things that give us a bit of hope regarding our situation.

Emma is in her first year of a joint honours at Canterbury university where she wants to exchange to the same joint honours course at Hull university. This all seemed perfectly feasible until out of the blue (after passing most 'tests' of the transfer) she got an email notifying her that she would have to pay the full 9,000 tuition fees if she transferred to the uni in her second year.

Given the financial implications, that doesn't really seem feasible, yet you seem to think that this stance is incorrect? Sorry to be a nuisance but I'd really really appreciate it if you could let me know what you thought were the facts of the matter. Are they entitled to charge this? If so, would speaking to Student Finance be our next step? etc.

Thanks for your time,
Sam

It is my understanding that they do not have to charge you the increased fees, and certainly that they wouldn't, but it is perfectly possible that they are able to. I would definitely clarify with student finance what their position is on it but ultimately having to pay the increased fees isn't actually a big deal at all. Unless you go on to earn a very large amount of money it will have very little impact on you at all above what the old system would have had.

Reply 486
Hi guys

So basically I've looked through a lot of transfer threads and can't seem to find anyone in a situation similar to mine.

I'm in my second year at uni and i'm really not enjoying it. I disliked it in first year and considered transferring as I don't like the university itself but I thought it would improve in second year and it hasn't.

So now I'm looking to transfer Universities to do the same course but seeing as most universities won't let me transfer straight into 3rd year, has anyone experienced/heard of anyone restarting second year at another university, despite already being half way through it elsewhere?
I've never heard of anyone transferring into 3rd year but I'm sure it's not impossible to start 2nd year elsewhere. Have you tried e-mailing another uni and seeing what they say?
Reply 488
I emailed one university about transferring into third year and they said they never consider those applications. I haven't emailed any about re-doing second year because I'm not sure what to give as a reason, I didn't really want to say it's just because I don't like my university.
Original post by Hanzibar
Hi guys

So basically I've looked through a lot of transfer threads and can't seem to find anyone in a situation similar to mine.

I'm in my second year at uni and i'm really not enjoying it. I disliked it in first year and considered transferring as I don't like the university itself but I thought it would improve in second year and it hasn't.

So now I'm looking to transfer Universities to do the same course but seeing as most universities won't let me transfer straight into 3rd year, has anyone experienced/heard of anyone restarting second year at another university, despite already being half way through it elsewhere?

Original post by somethingbeautiful
I've never heard of anyone transferring into 3rd year but I'm sure it's not impossible to start 2nd year elsewhere. Have you tried e-mailing another uni and seeing what they say?

I have never heard of this happening and don't see it happening. Transferring into second year is fully possible and saying you don't like the university is completely fine just make sure that the reasons you present pertain to the course.
Not sure whether this is the place to post these queries but no-one else seems appropriate....... :tongue:

So I completed my A-Levels in 2011, having started them in 2009. One of them was an A and it has now been certificated. However, I am now thinking of re-sitting one of them to push it up to an A*. Sorry if this is a silly question, but sinceit has been certificated, would I have to re-sit only one of the A2 modules (the one with the lowest mark) or would I have to re-sit the whole A-Level again?

Also, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this....... but if you drop out of a course part way through or at the end of the first year and re-apply for entry in 2013, do you have to declare this on the UCAS form?
Reply 491
So I got my offer on UCAS on Friday :smile:. I have to get 60% average across all my modules but otherwise I'm sorted. Does anyone know how the uni I'm transferring to will find out if I reach this criteria? Will they e-mail me asking for academic records or contact my university themselves?

Hey guys
So I'll be having an operation on the 15th March, and my exam (worth 50% of the grade for the module) is on the 17th of March. My doctor has told me to stay in 1 week to heal properly. This means I'll miss the exam, and I'll be letting my tutors know this. It is likely that I'll take the exam in summer period instead, without it being capped, but how would I show this on my UCAS?

Would I just fill it out normally, making no mention of this? Or do I tell them?
Via ucas etc
I have an unconditional for psychology at the university of Manchester. But I want to transfer to management or business studies. However it requires AAB whereas I got A*BBB. :frown:

I am currently at a university overseas (Manchester was my 'backup plan'). Should I tell them this, and do you think they will take my first semester grades (uni only started in january) into consideration? Or will I have had to have done a year for them to consider this?

Is there anything else I could do, eg write another personal statement, or get a reference, to send along when I email them?
Or, would they be more likely to let me transfer after results day, when people don't meet their offers?

I want to know what I can do to make sure I have the best chance of them letting me transfer, basically.

Edit: Their course requirement last year was ABB. Would this help or will they be only looking at this years requirement?
Reply 495
Original post by Indecisive me.....
Not sure whether this is the place to post these queries but no-one else seems appropriate....... :tongue:

So I completed my A-Levels in 2011, having started them in 2009. One of them was an A and it has now been certificated. However, I am now thinking of re-sitting one of them to push it up to an A*. Sorry if this is a silly question, but sinceit has been certificated, would I have to re-sit only one of the A2 modules (the one with the lowest mark) or would I have to re-sit the whole A-Level again?
AFAIK it's just the module you want to resit, but check with your school/college.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this....... but if you drop out of a course part way through or at the end of the first year and re-apply for entry in 2013, do you have to declare this on the UCAS form?
Yes

Original post by LeBubbled
So I got my offer on UCAS on Friday :smile:. I have to get 60% average across all my modules but otherwise I'm sorted. Does anyone know how the uni I'm transferring to will find out if I reach this criteria? Will they e-mail me asking for academic records or contact my university themselves?

You will need to pass the information on as soon as you have it. The uni will advise what evidence they require.

Original post by unknown681
Hey guys
So I'll be having an operation on the 15th March, and my exam (worth 50% of the grade for the module) is on the 17th of March. My doctor has told me to stay in 1 week to heal properly. This means I'll miss the exam, and I'll be letting my tutors know this. It is likely that I'll take the exam in summer period instead, without it being capped, but how would I show this on my UCAS?

Would I just fill it out normally, making no mention of this? Or do I tell them?
You just enter the completion date for the whole qualification, so taking the exam in June won't be a problem.

Original post by nursegrenade
I have an unconditional for psychology at the university of Manchester. But I want to transfer to management or business studies. However it requires AAB whereas I got A*BBB. :frown:

I am currently at a university overseas (Manchester was my 'backup plan'). Should I tell them this, and do you think they will take my first semester grades (uni only started in january) into consideration? Or will I have had to have done a year for them to consider this?

Is there anything else I could do, eg write another personal statement, or get a reference, to send along when I email them?
Or, would they be more likely to let me transfer after results day, when people don't meet their offers?

I want to know what I can do to make sure I have the best chance of them letting me transfer, basically.

Edit: Their course requirement last year was ABB. Would this help or will they be only looking at this years requirement?
You need to discuss the options with the university, and see what they say. Anything we came up with would be speculation.
Reply 496
Need some general advice on what to do next in regards to transfers. I spoke to the admissions board at one of the unis i want to transfer to and they confirmed they are accepting applications through ucas for my course. would i need to use my ucas account from last year or will i have to make a new one? and also at what point do i tell my current university that i am looking to transfer out?
Reply 497
Bump
Reply 498
Original post by -bill-
Need some general advice on what to do next in regards to transfers. I spoke to the admissions board at one of the unis i want to transfer to and they confirmed they are accepting applications through ucas for my course. would i need to use my ucas account from last year or will i have to make a new one? and also at what point do i tell my current university that i am looking to transfer out?

When you sign up for UCAS it asks you if you've had an account before and then uses some of this previous information to make the process quicker. Just go to the sign up page on UCAS and it should become clear.

Well, I told my tutor very early on as I needed a reference but to officially tell the university I just need to fill in a withdrawal form. They said they didn't actually need this until right at the end of the summer term and in most cases you probably don't need to worry about telling them until you actually have an offer. Your tutor should know what you need to do so that's probably the best place to direct your questions to! It can be a bit daunting admitting that you want to leave, but my tutor was incredibly supportive!
Original post by Minerva
AFAIK it's just the module you want to resit, but check with your school/college.

Yes

Thank you for your response.

Also, I'm aware that I would have to pay the higher tuition fees if I were drop out at the end of this year and apply for entry in September 2013, but would I have to start re-paying off the loan under the new system (i.e. once I start earning £21,000+ a year) or would the old system still apply since my initial application was in 2011?

Similarly, what would happen if I decided to suspend my studies for a year? Would I have to pay the higher tuition fees and how would the loan need to be re-payed?

Sorry for the questions! I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending