The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Naked and Famous
Ha my sister said don't go Nottingham because of it's gun crimes. So I only need to send in a formal withdrawal form to my current uni once i'm sure?

The floral tributes have led to Nottingham winning the "Britain in Bloom" awards several times :sadnod:

Yes, only tell your current uni you're leaving when you're sure. If you're sure now that you will never, ever go to Nottingham then tell Nottingham that, but if it's dependent on exam results then you can leave it for a while. But as soon as you do know what you're doing, tell alll 3 unis,
Hi guys, am I required to include my GCSE results?

My GCSE exams were quite long ago (2007, to keep the story short, I'm an international student with a different route from you guys). I'm intending to restart Year 1 at the new university so I assume my current Year 1 grades and A-Levels would suffice in the UCAS form?
Reply 982
Original post by Default_Username
Hi guys, am I required to include my GCSE results?

My GCSE exams were quite long ago (2007, to keep the story short, I'm an international student with a different route from you guys). I'm intending to restart Year 1 at the new university so I assume my current Year 1 grades and A-Levels would suffice in the UCAS form?

You must include all of your qualifications, including your GCSEs.
Reply 983
Original post by Xboxer
I've just finished my first year, failed 4 modules out of 7, and just about passed the other 3.

For this past year I've actually been dealing with mental health problems which was why I couldn't do well. It wasn't the content that was difficult, just a lack of time to prepare because I was busy finding out what was happening to me, something I had to do. I now feel confident enough that if I get onto the 2nd year, which will be difficult, I'll be able to cope and do well because I want to. In fact, I did a foundation before the 1st year and got 74%, so I do have potential.

My tutor has been very nice and she's tried to help me out. She's suggested I redo those 4 modules as an internal student to get good grades and a good base, though the 1st year doesn't count to my degree. I'm considering transferring to a uni that's less intense so it's easier to cope. If I pass the resists this summer, would this be a valid reason for other uni's to consider the transfer? Would the foundation result give a good argument to say I have potential? I'm definitely going to work hard to get a good grade regardless of which uni I go to

Also my family doesn't know about my problems and I can't tell them. Transferring would be the best option, repeating a year would make them furious that I'm wasting my time
I'd say that you wouldn't be the most attractive transfer candidate from another uni's perspective, if you are waiting on resit results. I also think that as the issues that got in the way of you doing well have been linked to your mental health, putting yourself under pressure in a new university is probably not a good idea. I also think it's important you find some way of broaching the subject of your illness with your family, as trying to keep this from them adds another source of stress, which you really don't need and might get in the way of you staying well.

A supportive tutor as you seem to have now is really important, and not to be given up lightly.

Original post by perfectlypink
Hi guys!!!

I really need your help! I just completed my first year at university and it was only half way in till I realised how much I hated it. I managed to repeat some of my A-level exams whilst completing my first year and thankfully scored an average 2:1. My question is how am I able to transfer universities? Would I have to go through UCAS, even though my A Level grades are still pending? I've already contacted the universities I want to transfer to, but I received no reply. In my UCAS application would I have to mention I completed a year at university or can I just say I took a gap year and with me undergoing the UCAS application would it jeoprodise my place at my current uni? i'm really confused because I've never heard anyone actually doing their A levels whilst at uni. And the only reason I repeated was because I wanted a place in a better university. Thank you soo much!
Yes, you would have to go through UCAS. Unless you are proposing to start all over again, you will need to negotiate with the unis you are interested in, to ensure that what you have done so far is compatible with their course. This is especially important for law.

You can apply through UCAS without anyone at your current uni knowing about it - but this won't really help your cause as the new uni will want to know how you've been coping with uni level study. You must declare that you have attended your current uni, whether you want to or not, on your UCAS application.
Reply 984
Hi, So Im a 2nd year,but im looking to transfer to repeat 2nd year again in another uni, i called up the university which i would like to transfer to in which they said, i should go through ucas and apply before the deadline or if not i would have to do it through clearing, in which they unsure weather the uni would be going through clearing for my course( i do toursim btw which usually on clearing list for most uni which does the course). my concern is weather to do the ucas application this week( which would be very tight) or maybe to do it within clearing next week or so, but im wondering where would i have a good chance of getting through to the uni
Reply 985
Original post by ShottaYB
Hi, So Im a 2nd year,but im looking to transfer to repeat 2nd year again in another uni, i called up the university which i would like to transfer to in which they said, i should go through ucas and apply before the deadline or if not i would have to do it through clearing, in which they unsure weather the uni would be going through clearing for my course( i do toursim btw which usually on clearing list for most uni which does the course). my concern is weather to do the ucas application this week( which would be very tight) or maybe to do it within clearing next week or so, but im wondering where would i have a good chance of getting through to the uni

Nobody here can tell you. You've already asked the uni and they're unsure, so why do you think random people on the internet would know better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I'm applying to UCAS to transfer universities but I don't know where to write my first year university grade any suggestions?
Reply 987
Original post by perfectlypink
Guys, I'm applying to UCAS to transfer universities but I don't know where to write my first year university grade any suggestions?
Enter the university as an educational establishment (use the 'my school is not listed here' option to be able to enter the details) and then you should be able to put in the modules you've done and the grades achieved.
Reply 988
Hello,

I am an international student who got an offer for BSc Economics at the LSE. I have accepted the offer and will be heading there this September to study. However, after some discussion with my family, we have decided that it will be better to obtain a professional degree in Law instead.

Interest aside (I am fine with both actually)

I want to ask how this can be done? Do I file a new UCAS application to apply to all the Law schools? And is it possible to internally transfer to Law within the LSE? (I wouldn't mind if after studying one year Economics, I would have to re-start as a Year 1 Law student) Because if I can internally transfer, then perhaps I might not need to list LSE as one of my UCAS option.

Thanks, any advice would be very much appreciated!
Original post by zenstars
Hello,

I am an international student who got an offer for BSc Economics at the LSE. I have accepted the offer and will be heading there this September to study. However, after some discussion with my family, we have decided that it will be better to obtain a professional degree in Law instead.

Interest aside (I am fine with both actually)

I want to ask how this can be done? Do I file a new UCAS application to apply to all the Law schools? And is it possible to internally transfer to Law within the LSE? (I wouldn't mind if after studying one year Economics, I would have to re-start as a Year 1 Law student) Because if I can internally transfer, then perhaps I might not need to list LSE as one of my UCAS option.

Thanks, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Before doing anything, contact LSE and ask them. It's possible you'll be able to transfer your course before beginning your degree - I've known several people who did so at various different universities. It's likely that the course will be full, since I imagine it is highly competitive, but also possible that people may have missed offers and you may not know for sure until results day.
Reply 990
Original post by Jackal The
Before doing anything, contact LSE and ask them. It's possible you'll be able to transfer your course before beginning your degree - I've known several people who did so at various different universities. It's likely that the course will be full, since I imagine it is highly competitive, but also possible that people may have missed offers and you may not know for sure until results day.

Hello! Thank you for your help in answering. Because Law and Economics are quite different, I was just wondering whether LSE would require me to write a new separate personal statement, or maybe attend interviews?

I contacted the LSE undergrad office, and the administrator told me she wouldn't know whether it is possible to transfer until I fully register and pay the school fees at LSE. Hmm...

And also because I am an international student, I am not too sure about the system in UK. So just to find out, when is the results day, or have the results been released already?

Thanks a million!
Original post by zenstars
Hello! Thank you for your help in answering. Because Law and Economics are quite different, I was just wondering whether LSE would require me to write a new separate personal statement, or maybe attend interviews?

I contacted the LSE undergrad office, and the administrator told me she wouldn't know whether it is possible to transfer until I fully register and pay the school fees at LSE. Hmm...

And also because I am an international student, I am not too sure about the system in UK. So just to find out, when is the results day, or have the results been released already?

Thanks a million!

S'alright. =] Hmm, that is quite odd she said that, seeing as the people I mentioned transferred before they had started the year. Maybe it's worth seeing if there's someone else you can talk to?

Results are given out on August 15th (or 6th in Scotland) and typically a lot of students will miss the requirements given to them by the higher up universities, such as LSE. So whilst it is possible they might be in for clearing, it's not something I would rely on at all.

Regarding the personal statement question, it really differs from university-to-university. Some place very little weight on personal statement's, and therefore wouldn't really care. At all. Others might want you to "prove" you are serious about transferring, and perhaps gather some relevant voluntary work - my cousin had to do this. Maybe writing down a personal statement wouldn't be a bad idea, if only because it helps you better understand what you enjoy about the degree. :smile:
Hi, how do I let the University I want to go to know my results? Also do you think they'll let me in because the offer was 65% average with minimum of 60% in every module. I averaged 73% however one of the modules which was just group coursework we got 53%...
Reply 993
Hi, how do I let the University I want to go to know my results? Also do you think they'll let me in because the offer was 65% average with minimum of 60% in every module. I averaged 73% however one of the modules which was just group coursework we got 53%...
Email them and find out what evidence they require. Technically you haven't met your offer, but it is possible for the uni to decide to take you anyway, so don't wait, get in touch with them ASAP.
Original post by Minerva
Email them and find out what evidence they require. Technically you haven't met your offer, but it is possible for the uni to decide to take you anyway, so don't wait, get in touch with them ASAP.

Thanks. It's annoying because we didn't get to pick our groups..
Reply 995
Thanks. It's annoying because we didn't get to pick our groups..
You never do :smile: Group work is nearly always as frustrating as hell, and the unis know this.
Original post by Minerva
You never do :smile: Group work is nearly always as frustrating as hell, and the unis know this.

But then it's a bit like real life - until you're the boss you don't get to pick who's on your team (and then when you're the boss and you get to pick you aren't part of the team)
Reply 997
Original post by PQ
But then it's a bit like real life - until you're the boss you don't get to pick who's on your team (and then when you're the boss and you get to pick you aren't part of the team)
Quite :smile:

Of course, as often as not the Boss doesn't get to pick their team either - and so has the worst of all worlds :frown:
Original post by Minerva

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure if the uni im hoping to transfer to knows that it was just group c/w though.
Reply 999
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure if the uni im hoping to transfer to knows that it was just group c/w though.
Nothing to stop you from letting them know, is there? You presumably have some sort of printout or screenshot of your results - they might like to see what you got module by module anyway, given your circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending