The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

If I wait until I receive my foundation results in the summer of 2015, then there will be no places left on the course I wish to start. This is why I asked about the possibility of applying through UCAS this coming November while I'm doing the foundation like A level students do, but with my modules and stuff, so then I can start my chosen undergraduate course in September 2015.
Just wondering if anyone has been on the same boat as me and can shed some light on my situation, Im transferring into leeds uni for petroleum engineering 2nd year, i got an offer for 65% on ucas, but woman told me from university it was 60%. Since my uni is bad I've done pretty bad on group assignments so I'm only looking at getting 60-63% do you think i won't get in? has anyone else been in this situation where they missed their mark by few percentage, many thanks
Original post by HugoDuchovny
Best thing to do is call the Leeds admissions office, explain and ask.

Why Leeds by the way?

Manchester has the best course and stronger industry links : )

Just because I'm from Leeds and the reason I'm transferring is to come closer to home due to personal reasons.
I was going to ring them and ask why she said 60% but didn't want them to think 'oh look he can't achieve 65%'
Original post by Wall of sound
If I wait until I receive my foundation results in the summer of 2015, then there will be no places left on the course I wish to start. This is why I asked about the possibility of applying through UCAS this coming November while I'm doing the foundation like A level students do, but with my modules and stuff, so then I can start my chosen undergraduate course in September 2015.

I think the first step you need to make is to get in touch with Birmingham now & see if they will accept the foundation year from UEA to gain entry. They will probably ask for marks you have achieved so far so you'll have to mention that you haven't started the course yet and see what they come back with.
I'm at Warwick studying Politics and I'm really not enjoying the place or the course. I've definitely made the wrong choice and wish to change to Geography. I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience in transferring universities and starting different course? How did the process go?
Original post by smjwell
I'm at Warwick studying Politics and I'm really not enjoying the place or the course. I've definitely made the wrong choice and wish to change to Geography. I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience in transferring universities and starting different course? How did the process go?

Why would you go from a useless subject to an even useless-er subject?
Original post by Rednekk
Why would you go from a useless subject to an even useless-er subject?

Why do you feel the need to belittle other people's choices?
Just coming to the end of my first year now and although I love the friends I've made and the experiences I've had throughout the year I can't help being completely demotivated and disappointed with the course (and with the uni in general).

I don't really want to (just because its so much fuss) but I'm considering changing unis, I don't know a thing about how to go about doing it though... I really don't want to start from year 1 again and I really don't want to take a gap year as I'd be 20 if i start the 2015/2016 academic year...

What can I do? How do I go about swapping?

I'm studying history and I got AAB for A levels and I'm probably going to get a 2.1 for this year.
Original post by alex.....
Just coming to the end of my first year now and although I love the friends I've made and the experiences I've had throughout the year I can't help being completely demotivated and disappointed with the course (and with the uni in general).

I don't really want to (just because its so much fuss) but I'm considering changing unis, I don't know a thing about how to go about doing it though... I really don't want to start from year 1 again and I really don't want to take a gap year as I'd be 20 if i start the 2015/2016 academic year...

What can I do? How do I go about swapping?

I'm studying history and I got AAB for A levels and I'm probably going to get a 2.1 for this year.
I've moved this to the transfer sticky for you. You will probably find the answer to you question in here.
I've been thinking lately of whether I would have been able to get into a Russell group university, I'm currently studying at a non-Russel group university which I needed BCC to get on to my course, I achieved BBB in my A levels so clearly surpassed the requirements.

I'm looking at the University of Manchester right now and for the same course, History and Politics, they require AAB-ABB with an 'A' grade in History. Now of course, I got a 'B' grade in History and i'm below their minimum acceptance by 1 grade.
But right now i'm thinking, could I have got in somehow? I never applied for Manchester originally so it's killing me if I could have or not.

I'm in an awkward position because I surpass all of the non-Russel group university entry-requirements for my course, most if not all non-russel group universities only ask for 280 maximum for the course I want to do but Russell group university minimum entry requirements are just a little over what I achieved at A levels as per the example above. So I kind of feel bad i'm in the middle. It's like i'm too good for non-Russel group if you look at it from entry-requirements perspective but too bad for Russel groups requirements.

I haven't got all my first year university grades back yet but I've definitely got a 1'st in 2 of my modules since I got over 70 for every assignment in them and I think low 2.1 in my other 4 modules as I averaged a low 2.1 in all my other assignments for those modules.
Original post by Ruffiio
I've been thinking lately of whether I would have been able to get into a Russell group university, I'm currently studying at a non-Russel group university which I needed BCC to get on to my course, I achieved BBB in my A levels so clearly surpassed the requirements.

I'm looking at the University of Manchester right now and for the same course, History and Politics, they require AAB-ABB with an 'A' grade in History. Now of course, I got a 'B' grade in History and i'm below their minimum acceptance by 1 grade.
But right now i'm thinking, could I have got in somehow? I never applied for Manchester originally so it's killing me if I could have or not.

I'm in an awkward position because I surpass all of the non-Russel group university entry-requirements for my course, most if not all non-russel group universities only ask for 280 maximum for the course I want to do but Russell group university minimum entry requirements are just a little over what I achieved at A levels as per the example above. So I kind of feel bad i'm in the middle. It's like i'm too good for non-Russel group if you look at it from entry-requirements perspective but too bad for Russel groups requirements.

I haven't got all my first year university grades back yet but I've definitely got a 1'st in 2 of my modules since I got over 70 for every assignment in them and I think low 2.1 in my other 4 modules as I averaged a low 2.1 in all my other assignments for those modules.

History and politics at Manchester is massively oversubscribed, and where a range of grades is given, the upper range is the standard offer and the lower is reserved for special cases. You are therefore two grades below the standard offer, and crucially, one of those is in history, so you would not have been made an offer. If your predicted grades had been BBB, you would not have made the first cut and if you had been offered AAB and got BBB, you would not have been accepted. Don't waste your time on speculating about what 'might' have been. Concentrate on doing well and enjoying yourself where you are.
Reply 1493
Original post by carnationlilyrose
History and politics at Manchester is massively oversubscribed, and where a range of grades is given, the upper range is the standard offer and the lower is reserved for special cases. You are therefore two grades below the standard offer, and crucially, one of those is in history, so you would not have been made an offer. If your predicted grades had been BBB, you would not have made the first cut and if you had been offered AAB and got BBB, you would not have been accepted. Don't waste your time on speculating about what 'might' have been. Concentrate on doing well and enjoying yourself where you are.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I've nearly finished all my A2 exams and have an offer for Law from the University of Birmingham and York, expecting a*aa and aaa respectively. However, because of my social situation at home, my parents would only let me go to Nottingham, so I thought that on results day, i would call them and get a place, but I was very poorly on Monday when I sat my exam and I'm confident now that given my next exam goes well, I can only score a maximum of a B, though there's a chance that it may be bought down to a C due to my ISA. Is it possible that I can get into a redbrick university through another course and then transfer at the beginning of the same year?

Thanks
Original post by KayK

I've nearly finished all my A2 exams and have an offer for Law from the University of Birmingham and York, expecting a*aa and aaa respectively. However, because of my social situation at home, my parents would only let me go to Nottingham, so I thought that on results day, i would call them and get a place, but I was very poorly on Monday when I sat my exam and I'm confident now that given my next exam goes well, I can only score a maximum of a B, though there's a chance that it may be bought down to a C due to my ISA. Is it possible that I can get into a redbrick university through another course and then transfer at the beginning of the same year?

Thanks

For a course as competitive as law, you will have to meet the A level conditions anywhere you would consider going. A back door route is not likely to be successful, I'm afraid.
Original post by KayK

Thanks

A*AA offer from Birmingham - are you sure about that? Their standard offer is AAA / A*AB.

In reality Birmingham have, and probably will do for some time, accept students who have missed their standard offer. The competition just isn't there.
Reply 1496
Original post by Selym95
A*AA offer from Birmingham - are you sure about that? Their standard offer is AAA / A*AB.

In reality Birmingham have, and probably will do for some time, accept students who have missed their standard offer. The competition just isn't there.

Thanks, Is there any chance I can find a list of universities who offered places in clearance last year for law in particular?
Original post by KayK
Thanks, Is there any chance I can find a list of universities who offered places in clearance last year for law in particular?

I'm not entirely sure where one could access that data. If you find out let me know though as that would be interesting to look at. I do remember that clearing was quite disappointing for Law last year, however - the best options were Durham and I think possibly Exeter. Surprisingly, Birmingham didn't enter for it's Law LLB.
Reply 1498
Original post by Selym95
I'm not entirely sure where one could access that data. If you find out let me know though as that would be interesting to look at. I do remember that clearing was quite disappointing for Law last year, however - the best options were Durham and I think possibly Exeter. Surprisingly, Birmingham didn't enter for it's Law LLB.

Libraries often have copies of old newspapers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me of their experience attempting to change university with significantly lower than requirement A levels but very high (1st or 2,1) first year results at University.

In my case for example, my grades were A D D and I would like to transfer to the university of Manchester for Computer Science (who ask for ABB), from Swansea University Computer Science first year. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Swansea but some family issues have cropped up that require me to remain in Manchester instead of going back to Swansea for the 2nd year.

Any help at all is appreciated, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending