The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
They'll never be 100% the same, but the 'receiving' uni needs to be satisfied that you have covered much the same ground as their own undergrads, otherwise you may not be able to keep up when you join in the second year.

It's really for the uni concerned to decide. You'll need to get in touch with them and find out what their essential requirements are - they may ask to see a copy of the curriculum for your current course.

Thank you.

Do you think I'd better off speaking to the admissions tutor or the head of the programme that I wish to transfer to? :smile:
Original post by TheBBQ
Thank you.

Do you think I'd better off speaking to the admissions tutor or the head of the programme that I wish to transfer to? :smile:
I'd start with the admissions tutor, and see what they suggest.
Super long, sorry!

I'm looking to transfer (although I don't mind starting from year 1 next year if that's the case) from my current uni - I'm a first year and in my third week.
Basically, I got into my insurance choice (Liverpool) and I'm really unsatisfied with the course and just everything really. I'm currently studying Evolutionary Anthropology and everywhere else I applied was for Archaeology & Anthropology - back when I was doing my UCAS application I was heavily advised to apply for EvAnth as it was apparently very similar to Arch & Anth... it's not. I've also come to realise from my Intro to Archaeology lectures that I don't care much for it in practice and I'm now thinking of switching to straight Anthropology.
There are some aspects of the course I enjoy and I've made quite a few friends here so that's not a problem, but I find that everyday I hate it more and more and know that I would ultimately be happy elsewhere.

I got very good A level grades imo (A* A B) so it's not an issue of me meeting the grade requirements at the universities that I am currently looking into.
The only reason that I'm at Liverpool (and it was my fave of my two other offers) is because I did not get into my firm (Oxford) and I feel that if I had not gotten an offer from Ox then I would've put UCL as my firm; I would've put UCL as my insurance with Ox as firm but as their grade requirements are really similar to Ox (they ask for AAB, OX for AAA) I didn't want to edge myself of getting a university place just in case I really messed up in my exams. Obviously I didn't and I really regret it! I also wasn't informed of Adjustment on results day so I really feel like I've kinda been put out if that makes sense.

Basically my question is should I mention the A level/Ox/firm-insurance scenario when enquiring into other universities or just omit it completely? I spoke to an adviser at my uni today and they didn't really seem to know if I should or not.

Thank you!
Original post by cultlogic
Super long, sorry!

I'm looking to transfer (although I don't mind starting from year 1 next year if that's the case) from my current uni - I'm a first year and in my third week.
Basically, I got into my insurance choice (Liverpool) and I'm really unsatisfied with the course and just everything really. I'm currently studying Evolutionary Anthropology and everywhere else I applied was for Archaeology & Anthropology - back when I was doing my UCAS application I was heavily advised to apply for EvAnth as it was apparently very similar to Arch & Anth... it's not. I've also come to realise from my Intro to Archaeology lectures that I don't care much for it in practice and I'm now thinking of switching to straight Anthropology.
There are some aspects of the course I enjoy and I've made quite a few friends here so that's not a problem, but I find that everyday I hate it more and more and know that I would ultimately be happy elsewhere.

I got very good A level grades imo (A* A B) so it's not an issue of me meeting the grade requirements at the universities that I am currently looking into.
The only reason that I'm at Liverpool (and it was my fave of my two other offers) is because I did not get into my firm (Oxford) and I feel that if I had not gotten an offer from Ox then I would've put UCL as my firm; I would've put UCL as my insurance with Ox as firm but as their grade requirements are really similar to Ox (they ask for AAB, OX for AAA) I didn't want to edge myself of getting a university place just in case I really messed up in my exams. Obviously I didn't and I really regret it! I also wasn't informed of Adjustment on results day so I really feel like I've kinda been put out if that makes sense.

Basically my question is should I mention the A level/Ox/firm-insurance scenario when enquiring into other universities or just omit it completely? I spoke to an adviser at my uni today and they didn't really seem to know if I should or not.

Thank you!
You need to decide whether to drop out now and take a gap year or carry on and complete this first year.

First of all, I'd investigate the financial implications of either route. Will you have to pay tuition fees anyway, and what about your accommodation?

When you are talking to other unis, by all means tell them what grades you got, but I certainly would not advise explaining that you missed your Oxford offer. If you really don't like the course content at Liverpool, you might want to think through what it is you are really looking for instead. That's a much more positive approach to present to an admissions tutor.

Essentially, you need to find out what the compatibility is between your current course and any one you might think of applying to for year 2 entry. If there isn't enough compatibility (which might well be the case), then it would be worth finding out whether Liverpool would award you a Cert HE for completing their first year successfully. If the finances don't stack up for dropping out (ie you will lose a lot of money with nothing to show for it) then that would be a factor in favour of sticking with it while reapplying through UCAS. By the way, you should be able to apply for a mix of Year 1 and Year 2 starts - just make sure you've entered this correctly against the individual choices. So, if uni A says 'we'd be happy to consider you for a fresh start, but you wouldn't be eligible to transfer into year 2' but uni B says 'yes, you could transfer into our year 2' you can apply to both.

From a student finance perspective, you are allowed one 'false start' so you should get full funding for a three year degree.
Original post by Minerva
You need to decide whether to drop out now and take a gap year or carry on and complete this first year.

First of all, I'd investigate the financial implications of either route. Will you have to pay tuition fees anyway, and what about your accommodation?

When you are talking to other unis, by all means tell them what grades you got, but I certainly would not advise explaining that you missed your Oxford offer. If you really don't like the course content at Liverpool, you might want to think through what it is you are really looking for instead. That's a much more positive approach to present to an admissions tutor.

Essentially, you need to find out what the compatibility is between your current course and any one you might think of applying to for year 2 entry. If there isn't enough compatibility (which might well be the case), then it would be worth finding out whether Liverpool would award you a Cert HE for completing their first year successfully. If the finances don't stack up for dropping out (ie you will lose a lot of money with nothing to show for it) then that would be a factor in favour of sticking with it while reapplying through UCAS. By the way, you should be able to apply for a mix of Year 1 and Year 2 starts - just make sure you've entered this correctly against the individual choices. So, if uni A says 'we'd be happy to consider you for a fresh start, but you wouldn't be eligible to transfer into year 2' but uni B says 'yes, you could transfer into our year 2' you can apply to both.

From a student finance perspective, you are allowed one 'false start' so you should get full funding for a three year degree.

This has been really helpful, thank you!
This has been really helpful, thank you!
Good luck :smile:
What month should i start contacting unis to show my interest in a transfer?
Original post by chelseafan
What month should i start contacting unis to show my interest in a transfer?
That's up to you - there's no particular time that this has to be done as the deadlines for year 1 entry don't apply.
So I'm studying law at QMUL but I've realised I don't actually like studying most of it apart from 2 modules. Consequently, I can't stop thinking about history and recently looked at the history information for Kings. Yeah I'm a month into my course and I just really want to study history there now. What are the chances of transferring?
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
So I'm studying law at QMUL but I've realised I don't actually like studying most of it apart from 2 modules. Consequently, I can't stop thinking about history and recently looked at the history information for Kings. Yeah I'm a month into my course and I just really want to study history there now. What are the chances of transferring?

Only they can tell you this.
SOMEONE GIVE ME A VALID REASON TO TRANSFER TO A DIFFERENT UNIVERSITY (first year entry) FOR THE SAME COURSE (Law).

My real reason is to upgrade because the profession I want to go into cares about University reputation.

I have the correct grades (or will do) which are A*A*A for A Level and good GCSEs.

I just need a valid reason.
Original post by Minerva
As far as I am aware, in-year transfers are not possible. Your choice would be either to do your best in your first year where you are, and apply to transfer next September/October (which may not be successful as the courses need to be compatible), or drop out and reapply to start again in your first year.

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Only they can tell you this.

Can you guys please answer my question (which is in the post above this)?
Original post by Da Di Doo
Can you guys please answer my question (which is in the post above this)?
Any particular reason why we should? As I'm sure you know, writing in upper case comes across as shouting. Most of us don't like being shouted at, much. You might also like to consider how the post in which you quoted me and Carnationlilyrose comes across.

SOMEONE GIVE ME A VALID REASON TO TRANSFER TO A DIFFERENT UNIVERSITY (first year entry) FOR THE SAME COURSE (Law).

My real reason is to upgrade because the profession I want to go into cares about University reputation.

I have the correct grades (or will do) which are A*A*A for A Level and good GCSEs.

I just need a valid reason.
I assume you mean you want us to suggest some explanation for you to include in your PS, as to why you don't plan to continue with the course you are currently doing, rather than admit you are chasing the prestige?

I'm sure you'll come up with something.
Original post by Minerva
Any particular reason why we should? As I'm sure you know, writing in upper case comes across as shouting. Most of us don't like being shouted at, much. You might also like to consider how the post in which you quoted me and Carnationlilyrose comes across.

I assume you mean you want us to suggest some explanation for you to include in your PS, as to why you don't plan to continue with the course you are currently doing, rather than admit you are chasing the prestige?

I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I wasn't shouting. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Instead of continuing into second year, studying Law at X university, I would like to study Law (first year) at Y university.
I have to 'chase the prestige' if I want to have the career I want because I want to go into investment banking. They don't even care what degree you do as long as you have the minimum 2:1 and do activities which demonstrate your interest in finance IF you go to the top 6 Unis.

You don't need to help me. After some hours on the internet I found someone else's transfer story which I will use.

Goodbye, have a nice day.
I wasn't shouting. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Instead of continuing into second year, studying Law at X university, I would like to study Law (first year) at Y university.
I have to 'chase the prestige' if I want to have the career I want because I want to go into investment banking. They don't even care what degree you do as long as you have the minimum 2:1 and do activities which demonstrate your interest in finance IF you go to the top 6 Unis.

You don't need to help me. After some hours on the internet I found someone else's transfer story which I will use.

Goodbye, have a nice day.
Really? What unis want to know is about you, not someone else. Making up reasons to move unis is not recommended.

Investment bankers look for bright people wherever they are to be found. There may be a predominance of graduates from top-ranked universities in their intake, but they do not exclude anyone simply on the basis of which university they went to. IB firms may not turn up on the milk round at your current university, but that doesn't mean you can't investigate their schemes independently and apply if you choose.
Original post by Minerva
Really? What unis want to know is about you, not someone else. Making up reasons to move unis is not recommended.

Investment bankers look for bright people wherever they are to be found. There may be a predominance of graduates from top-ranked universities in their intake, but they do not exclude anyone simply on the basis of which university they went to. IB firms may not turn up on the milk round at your current university, but that doesn't mean you can't investigate their schemes independently and apply if you choose.

I thought that too but more and more research discourages me about where I will study (even though it isn't that bad) and the more people I talk to the more worried I get about my university because apparently if I don't attend one of the top 6 unis then I am hugely disadvantaged.

I needed a reason to transfer to a different university because when the unis I apply to transfer to ask me why I want to move I need so say something convincing. I'm sorry if I came across rude.
I thought that too but more and more research discourages me about where I will study (even though it isn't that bad) and the more people I talk to the more worried I get about my university because apparently if I don't attend one of the top 6 unis then I am hugely disadvantaged.

I needed a reason to transfer to a different university because when the unis I apply to transfer to ask me why I want to move I need so say something convincing. I'm sorry if I came across rude.
You need to reflect on who is saying this. Particularly on TSR, there are many seriously obsessed prestige whores, most of whom have no idea what they are talking about and just say these things to make themselves feel better.

I'd give a couple of the IB firms a ring and see what sort of reaction you get. If you like the uni where you are now and you make the most of what's on offer, you are much more likely to get a really good degree and lots of extra skills that employers really like. Just knowing you are at a top 6 uni isn't enough to make up for hating it.

It's also worth remembering that you might fancy IB now, but three years is a long time, and you might have completely different ideas by then.
Is it possible at all to transfer Universities during or after the Christmas period?
Posted on the last page about dropping out and applying for 2015 entry and I'm definitely going to do it.
I'm meeting with my academic tutor this week to discuss my situation and I've researched all the financial implications of dropping out etc.

However, when it comes to my personal statement I know that it's probably advisable for me to mention my current degree course but how exactly would I word this (especially considering that I've been here for only a month).
Secondly, references. I'm not really sure if my current academic advisor at uni will be able to give me an apt reference as I've only ever met him once and, again, I've been here less than a month. My old tutor from college is happy to supply one for me and as I also have some mitigating circumstances regarding my educational background he is probably more suitable for a reference.

Thanks!
Posted on the last page about dropping out and applying for 2015 entry and I'm definitely going to do it.
I'm meeting with my academic tutor this week to discuss my situation and I've researched all the financial implications of dropping out etc.

However, when it comes to my personal statement I know that it's probably advisable for me to mention my current degree course but how exactly would I word this (especially considering that I've been here for only a month).
Secondly, references. I'm not really sure if my current academic advisor at uni will be able to give me an apt reference as I've only ever met him once and, again, I've been here less than a month. My old tutor from college is happy to supply one for me and as I also have some mitigating circumstances regarding my educational background he is probably more suitable for a reference.

Thanks!
If you've only been at the uni a month, your tutor from college is definitely the better choice for a referee. I don't think you need to mention your current course, except perhaps to say something like "Having begun a degree in XX I realised very soon that what I really want to do is YYYYY because...". If you are re-applying because you didn't like the uni rather than the course, don't say anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending